Surprising Hits and Unexpected Let Downs.

MediaConsumesMe

So currently I've been watching select anime with two other friends, one relatively new to Anime who'd only watched Steins Gate and Pokemon and maybe like one episode of Guilty Crown, before any of the next shows featured below. The other @MarathonGuy1337

What's been most interesting is the different reactions from each of us towards the shows we've watched up until this point. 

The first, which he selected as he was relatively new to Anime but even he had heard of this one. Attack on Titan.

shingeki no kyojin attack on titan gif | WiffleGif

He eneded up coming away with a general 'it was alright' attitude. @MarathonGuy1337 thought it was pretty good, and I didn't really care for it at all. 

Death Note which @MarathonGuy1337 choose and unfortunately Death Note was not a hit for this newbie. 

Janik Vonrotz - Animes I love

I personally didn't think it was all that bad, however as this was my third watch some sequences and plot contrivances were grating. @MarathonGuy1337 still believed it was a masterpiece. 

Finally we reached my choose - after watching Death Note for five months and given its meek reaction I was tentative of my pick. However Fate smiled on me. 

Darkest before Dawn review in GIF's | Genius

Yes I choose Fate/Zero and surprise surprise we all had a blast - my love of Fate is kind of well know to regulars on the site, but the newbie ranked it above all the previous shows he'd seen (admittedly not many) even @MarathonGuy1337 who initially had not been taken in to Fate - as I showed him Apocrypha first and it took till he and I sat through Unlimited Blade Works for him to finally get Fate and the wider nasuverse, but on this watch of Zero he seemed to be much more sucked in. We beat the first season out within a few days of watching. Which was far faster than I had expected given Death Notes... slow burn. 

So have you guys ever shown a friend a show that they ended up loving, despite you not being as madly in love with it or have you been shown a show that someone claims is a masterpiece but you end up not liking it at all. 

Edited by MediaConsumesMe
  • Like 1
  • Winner 1

I've mentioned in another thread on the forums that my overall view on AoT is skewered, because when it first came out, I was out of the anime loop and I had friends in college that were absolutely obsessed over it. As in, "if you talk s*** about this show, even in the slightest, we're gonna murder you in your sleep and dump your body in the lake"-level obsession. Exaggerations aside, their rabid and prolonged fanning out over this show practically killed any and all interest in it for me. Only recently have I attempted to give it a fair shake and watch the first few episodes. Even after watching them, I still have very little interest in continuing with it. I just don't get what the fuss was all about, but that's likely my biased outlook on it due to their obsessive fanning. It's what I always associate with this series. I know it isn't fair to think that way, and I'm sure it's a popular show for good reasons, but it's just been ruined for me. Like Public Enemy said, "Don't Believe the Hype."

• Like 2

I showed my best friend Danganronpa: The Animation and they didn't exactly like it, haha. They said the quality is trash and that it felt quite rushed, and I'm ngl, they're right. There's a lot of missed potential with the show, but it's what got me into the franchise so it holds a special place in my heart. I guess it isn't for everybody, though.

I also watched Drifting Home and TBHK with my cousin. She loved both of them, but I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of either. I'd already seen Drifting Home by the time I watched it with her, and I just found it to be very boring and long. I also didn't find TBHK particularly interesting, but it's getting remade soon so maybe that'll change my opinion.

Disappointments and Unexpected Hits. Well I see a little conversation about AOT, so I'm gonna completely ignorer than and the other obvious dead house of Naruto and talk about something different, something older.... something retro... 80 retro. 

Okay lets get started, lucky watching old VHS rips of 80s TV series and OVAs means I have a lot of both disappointments and unexcepted hits.

Gall Force

kenichi sonoda on Tumblr

Gall Force was pretty disappointing when I first watched it a while back now, I think I was expecting something more like Bubble-gum Crisis which where made by the same studio Youmex but maybe I shouldn't have got my hopes up to much as well Youmex was a bit of a mess behind the scenes so kind of make me wonder how the hell they where able to pull of Bubble-gum-Crisis

Armitage III 

Rogue Telemetry | Cyberpunk anime, Anime comics, Cyberpunk

This one was sort of disappointing, it was short and for a detective story it felt kind of rushed and thier was little payoff to the whole investigation and mystery 

Onto unexpected hits

Riding with Bean 

Riding Bean GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

This one is great, the only disappointing aspect was that thier wasn't really more of it, in terms of the OVA. fun cast, car chases, fan service and action why didn't we get more of this?

Area 88

Area 88 GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

My god this is so good, It's just really bombastic and badass, yet deep and introspective at the same time. Okay so imagine Top Gun but with a Anti-War message, which places Shin Kazama, our MC, here into a war he wants no part of but slowly he begins to loss his humanity and end up... will I won't spoil it. If you want to find out I recommend watching the show, honestly its really good and its like either 2 OVAs for the English dub and like I think 3 OVAs for the original Japanese.

Blue Comet ZPT Layzner 

7dywwo.gif.855d6d35f3c2d4e5483e1ef2b98d726a.gif

This one was just so cool, I went in completely blind and honestly its one of my favourite mecha series, the Blue Comet itself the titular Mecha of the MC Eiji Asuka, I would really recommend this one if you haven't seen it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarathonGuy1337 said:

Disappointments and Unexpected Hits. Well I see a little conversation about AOT, so I'm gonna completely ignorer than and the other obvious dead house of Naruto and talk about something different, something older.... something retro... 80 retro. 

Okay lets get started, lucky watching old VHS rips of 80s TV series and OVAs means I have a lot of both disappointments and unexcepted hits.

Gall Force

kenichi sonoda on Tumblr

Gall Force was pretty disappointing when I first watched it a while back now, I think I was expecting something more like Bubble-gum Crisis which where made by the same studio Youmex but maybe I shouldn't have got my hopes up to much as well Youmex was a bit of a mess behind the scenes so kind of make me wonder how the hell they where able to pull of Bubble-gum-Crisis

Armitage III 

This one was sort of disappointing, it was short and for a detective story it felt kind of rushed and thier was little payoff to the whole investigation and mystery 

Onto unexpected hits

Riding with Bean 

This one is great, the only disappointing aspect was that thier wasn't really more of it, in terms of the OVA. fun cast, car chases, fan service and action why didn't we get more of this?

Area 88

My god this is so good, It's just really bombastic and badass, yet deep and introspective at the same time. Okay so imagine Top Gun but with a Anti-War message, which places Shin Kazama, our MC, here into a war he wants no part of but slowly he begins to loss his humanity and end up... will I won't spoil it. If you want to find out I recommend watching the show, honestly its really good and its like either 2 OVAs for the English dub and like I think 3 OVAs for the original Japanese.

Blue Comet ZPT Layzner 

This one was just so cool, I went in completely blind and honestly its one of my favourite mecha series, the Blue Comet itself the titular Mecha of the MC Eiji Asuka, I would really recommend this one if you haven't seen it

Gall Force: New Era was one of the earliest anime series I watched, on VHS of course. When DVDs came out one of the on-line mail order suppliers was offering Eternal Story for a bargain price. Later on I bought the rest of the series. Overall I think Enteral Story is the best with the others being fairly decent but nothing spectacular.

Armitage III I quite liked, but along with Polymatrix, the movie, I don't think its really stood the test of time as well as some other series from that time.

Riding Bean was fun to watch, but like you I think it's a shame we didn't get more of Bean's adventures. I seem to recall that there was a connection between Riding Bean and Gunsmith Cats, which I also liked. But when I started reading the Gunsmith Cats manga I realised that the storylines were much darker than the anime version.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 10:43 AM, MarathonGuy1337 said:

Gall Force

kenichi sonoda on Tumblr

Armitage III 

Onto unexpected hits

Riding with Bean 

Area 88

Blue Comet ZPT Layzner 

And hear I thought you were going to bring up the time you showed me Golden Times...

14 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

And hear I thought you were going to bring up the time you showed me Golden Times...

now I'm interested... as a golden time fan I wanna hear what is your opinion 

Death Stare GIF - Death Stare Anime - Discover & Share GIFs

3 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

Well if you insist; 

Gilgamesh | Anime Amino

I greatly disliked it, all I'm gonna say is Ghost Banri and that stupid car crash

I quite like Golden Time and think that the car crash incident and its aftermath was fine, but I think that ghost Banri is annoying and unnecessary.

27 minutes ago, Animedragon said:

I quite like Golden Time and think that the car crash incident and its aftermath was fine, but I think that ghost Banri is annoying and unnecessary.

When it happened I remember @MarathonGuy1337 being like 'oh shit that was so badass don't you thing that was so totally random and unexpected' and I was like; 

Gilgamesh | Wiki | Anime Amino

Edited by MediaConsumesMe
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 11:49 PM, MediaConsumesMe said:

So currently I've been watching select anime with two other friends, one relatively new to Anime who'd only watched Steins Gate and Pokemon and maybe like one episode of Guilty Crown, before any of the next shows featured below. The other @MarathonGuy1337

What's been most interesting is the different reactions from each of us towards the shows we've watched up until this point. 

The first, which he selected as he was relatively new to Anime but even he had heard of this one. Attack on Titan.

shingeki no kyojin attack on titan gif | WiffleGif

He eneded up coming away with a general 'it was alright' attitude. @MarathonGuy1337 thought it was pretty good, and I didn't really care for it at all. 

Death Note which @MarathonGuy1337 choose and unfortunately Death Note was not a hit for this newbie. 

Janik Vonrotz - Animes I love

I personally didn't think it was all that bad, however as this was my third watch some sequences and plot contrivances were grating. @MarathonGuy1337 still believed it was a masterpiece. 

Finally we reached my choose - after watching Death Note for five months and given its meek reaction I was tentative of my pick. However Fate smiled on me. 

Darkest before Dawn review in GIF's | Genius

Yes I choose Fate/Zero and surprise surprise we all had a blast - my love of Fate is kind of well know to regulars on the site, but the newbie ranked it above all the previous shows he'd seen (admittedly not many) even @MarathonGuy1337 who initially had not been taken in to Fate - as I showed him Apocrypha first and it took till he and I sat through Unlimited Blade Works for him to finally get Fate and the wider nasuverse, but on this watch of Zero he seemed to be much more sucked in. We beat the first season out within a few days of watching. Which was far faster than I had expected given Death Notes... slow burn. 

So have you guys ever shown a friend a show that they ended up loving, despite you not being as madly in love with it or have you been shown a show that someone claims is a masterpiece but you end up not liking it at all. 

Very recently, My friend recommended me a show name Black Clover. In a few days after I got the so hookup to the show and ended the in a week. Now I am watching Fire Force so far so good.

If you haven't seen Black clover, then I would highly recommend you should give it a try.

Thinking about surprising hits, the series that surprised me most was Chihayafuru. I didn't think that a series about a group of people playing a card game would hold my interest for much more than 12 episodes, and it didn't, it held my interest for a whole 74 episodes and I would have happily watched more.

11 hours ago, Noumia said:

If you haven't seen Black clover, then I would highly recommend you should give it a try.

3 hours ago, animechat said:

I watched black clover then later dropped and not even worth watching.

I watched maybe 6 episodes of Black Clover before shelving it, which is about the same experience  I had with Naruto. If I were to give one another shot, it would probably be Black Clover because it had comparatively more appeal to me. The biggest complaint I remember seeing about Black Clover at the time was the MC’s voice, but I personally found Naruto’s “Believe It” just as annoying if not more so. Really though, long running shonen’s aren’t really my thing. My Hero Academia is probably the biggest exception for me & even then I was disappointed by seasons 4 & 5 before getting hype again in season 6.

I've got to be honest not watched that much shonen - I've watched Hunter x Hunter and am watching Yu Yu Hakusho. I think that's cause I like Togashi style, but he is technically writing a battle shonen series with those like Dragon Ball. 

PAX WEST 2016 News - Page 3 - General Discussion - Warframe Forums

Sometimes I wonder if some of Fate is technically shonen and some of the other stuff I've watched as well. 

Joeschmo's Gears and Grounds: Omake Gif Anime - Fate Apocrypha ...

I mean some of it might well be, I know Death Note is a shonen just not a 'battle shonen'. And stuff like Gundam is shonen mecha? - I think, at least it was intended for boys 12 to 18 when it aired I suspect. Then again Gundam is so old, was shonen even a thing?

55 minutes ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

Then again Gundam is so old, was shonen even a thing?

Gundam started in 1979. The first issue of Weekly Shonen Jump was in 1968, so it was definitely a thing

spacer.png

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

long running shonen’s aren’t really my thing

I suppose I’m thinking in the 100+ episode range, which is simply too long IMO with few exceptions. MHA is currently on 136 & I made it to around ep 150 of One Piece before burning out, which is barely the beginning. I’ve probably seen 100+ eps of the Dragonball franchise, but currently have no plans on watching any more. Attack on Titan will have less than 100 eps in it’s total run, though the way they’re handling the “Final” season has made it feel longer & I’m definitely ready for it to end. I’ve only seen around 50 eps of Inuyasha so far, though I still plan watching more. Generally 70-100 eps is really pushing things for me.

51 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

I suppose I’m thinking in the 100+ episode range, which is simply too long IMO with few exceptions. MHA is currently on 136 & I made it to around ep 150 of One Piece before burning out, which is barely the beginning. I’ve probably seen 100+ eps of the Dragonball franchise, but currently have no plans on watching any more. Attack on Titan will have less than 100 eps in it’s total run, though the way they’re handling the “Final” season has made it feel longer & I’m definitely ready for it to end. I’ve only seen around 50 eps of Inuyasha so far, though I still plan watching more. Generally 70-100 eps is really pushing things for me.

Their is a total of 140+ episodes in Fate. For the serious Shows. That adding Prototype, Apocrypha, Grand Order, Zero, Unlimited Blade Works, Stay Night and Extra together. Plus specials. I also added the films, but that only like six or seven. 

Didn't realise how much Fate I've watched/consumed. 

#gilgamesh gif on Tumblr

I guess it doesn't feel that big when you break it down into its spinoffs and main series. 

• Agree 1

@MediaConsumesMe

Fate Zero is by far my favorite of the franchise. I was actually somewhat disappointed by the Lord El Melloi entries considering Waver & Rider were one of my favorite duos. They seemed to put a great deal of emphasis on the intricacies of the magic system & the politics of The Clocktower & I felt like I kinda understood a lot of it & kinda didn’t 😅 I’m aware that Zero had it’s share of that as well, but it seemed easier to follow, maybe because there was more action/combat. I started Stay/Night a long time ago but never finished even though I have individual discs for the whole series. It & Unlimited Bladeworks have been sitting on my PTW list for far too long.

I haven’t really been a fan of the Grand Order entries though I feel they were ok. Surprisingly I actually enjoyed the more humorous Grand Carnival specials. Even though I haven’t played the FGO game, my knowledge of mythical/legendary characters & gacha game basics enabled me to get almost all the jokes 😂

Edited by Ohayotaku

9 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

@MediaConsumesMe

Fate Zero is by far my favorite of the franchise. I was actually somewhat disappointed by the Lord El Melloi entries considering Waver & Rider were one of my favorite duos. They seemed to put a great deal of emphasis on the intricacies of the magic system & the politics of The Clocktower & I felt like I kinda understood a lot of it & kinda didn’t 😅 I’m aware that Zero had it’s share of that as well, but it seemed easier to follow, maybe because there was more action/combat. I started Stay/Night a long time ago but never finished even though I have individual discs for the whole series. It & Unlimited Bladeworks have been sitting on my PTW list for far too long.

I haven’t really been a fan of the Grand Order entries though I feel they were ok. Surprisingly I actually enjoyed the more humorous Grand Carnival specials. Even though I haven’t played the FGO game, my knowledge of mythical/legendary characters & gacha game basics enabled me to get almost all the jokes 😂

You know I've not watched Grand Carnival yet, got it on Blu Ray but I've been busy with other shows. I'll likely watch it soon.

As for Stay Night 2006 and Unlimited Blade Works 2014, UBW has got the nicer animation, art style, fight scenes ect... and its story is pretty good with the fight between Shiro and Archer and Gilgamesh playing a big role in the narrative as the lead antagonist. 

But 2006 has Saber as the romance partner - so that's a huge win for that series. 

• Like 1

As far as surprisingly enjoyable, Card Captor Sakura because I’m definitely not the target audience :P 

But I was disappointed by Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. I’m a fan of several CLAMP series so a multiverse crossover with teenaged alternate versions of Sakura & Shaoran as the leads sounded like a perfect set-up. Sad that  it failed to capture their charm & I found the series itself boring.

Edited by Ohayotaku