Any Good Anime Movies?

Noumia

1 hour ago, Noumia said:

I haven't seen that many Anime Movies but If you have any good recommendation, please let me know.

i watched some movies but they were always a spinoff/ addon on an existing show

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bulleje76 said:

i watched some movies but they were always a spinoff/ addon on an existing show

This is largely me. I’m generally NOT a fan of the melodramatic/tearjerker examples that seem to top most anime fans’ lists. Likewise, I’m not as big a fan of Ghibli as most (few exceptions). A short list of some stand-alone anime movies I did enjoy:

Princess Mononoke • Laputa: Castle in the Sky • Children Who Chase Lost Voices • Patema Inverted • Perfect Blue • Expelled from Paradise • The Boy & the Beast • Summer Wars • Mary & the Witch’s Flower • Black Fox

There’s also White Snake (Bai She: Yuan Qi) & it’s sequel Green Snake (Bai She II: Qing She Jie Qi) which are Chinese CGI films.

A couple I haven’t seen but am curious about are Weathering With You & The Night is Short, Walk on Girl.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Noumia said:

I haven't seen that many Anime Movies but If you have any good recommendation, please let me know.

Here's a few for you to consider:

Princess Mononoke,

BareFoot Gen,

The Place Promised in our Early Days,

Your Name.

• Like 2

Dang, how did I omit the original Project A-ko ( though it probably won’t hold up well for more modern anime fans :P )Though I would recommend to fans of Kill la Kill as Ryuuko, Satsuki & Mako seem like they were at least partially inspired by Ako, Bko & Cko. Plus it has a similar sense of humor (over the top & more than a little lewd.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 2

Okay so I've not watched many that aren't tied to existing series, so sorry but you might need to do some homework before you can watch them. 

[Fate/stay night] 남녀가 사랑에 빠지는 시간은 13일이면 충분합니다 | 애니메이션 갤러리

Okay so first Fate/Stay Night Heaven Feel - now this is perhaps not the best entry point to the series - but this is peak animation, so when you get here it is well worth it. 

25 ++ fate stay night heaven's feel gif 444230-Fate stay night heaven's ...

So the first is Presage Flower, followed by Lost Butterfly and ending with Spring Song. 

Moving on from Fate, I'd recommend Madoka Magica Rebellion. 

*Brillant Fight Sequences in Anime | Anime Amino

This is a pretty awesome film, it is a sequel either to the series or two the movie adaptation of the series (beginning and eternal). So you could watch them as three movies, or a 12 episode anime with a sequel film. 

Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise Movie Analysis | Anime Amino

Okay something a little older and a standalone to boot, Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise, I found it a pretty engaging movie with obviosuly awesome animation and backgrounds as you can expect from 80s Anime. 

gundam gif on Tumblr

And finally the end to the epic saga, this probably won't be the only recommend for this movie as @MarathonGuy1337 is a pretty big Gundam guy but if you ever watch the Gundam trilogy or the first series, check out Chars Counter Attack for at least the pretty visuals and the epic sendoff to the biggest rivalry in anime history. 

• Like 1

Film recommendations? Well I have a few so buckle up and open up MAL in a separate window.

So starting with the best film I have...

Mobile Suit Gundam Chars Counterattack 

Which Mecha is your favorite and why? : anime

Thats probably not a surprise and its a bias pick to be sure as my favourite film from the Gundam Franchise and being a diehard Gundam fan. Chars counterattack however is best watched once your more into the Gundam franchise, you kind of need to get into the Universal Century before diving into this one. 

Mobile Suit Gundam F91

Mobile Suit Gundam F91 Gif - kpfitmama

Another great film is Gundam F91, a little bit of a slow burn in terms of plot, F91 is a classic OG anime film that has beautiful animation and some awesome mecha designs. 

Mobile Suit Gundam (Trilogy)

david-bolin | Anime, Landmarks, Scenery

Another great option would be the Gundam Trilogy, especially encounters in space, this series of films is a great way to get into the gundam universal century and I'd recommend them as they are very enjoyable even if a little condensed. 

Five Star Stories 

the five star stories | Tumblr

A cult classic hidden gem anime film, based on the legendary manga of the same name, highly recommend this one even if this film only covers a small part of the story seen in the manga, regardless tis a great story with fun characters and awesome action scenes. 

Patlabor and Patlabor II

#patlabor | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

These films are awesome, they are great mystery and mecha action fair, with deep political themes, who'd think that police procedural and mecha action would work so well together.  

Venus Wars 

Venus Wars | Tumblr

Venus Wars is a film that has a subpar plot, a odd pacing, which takes forever in act 1 and rushes though the second and third acts, but I still really enjoy this film, with amazing perhaps some of the best animation in films period, beyond perhaps Akira, I'd recommend as the film has become a cult classic.

Crusher Joe (The Movie)

7eqz57.gif.03f44892480fb46eb8c0d06ec2736242.gif

This is one of my all time favourite films, a great space opera vintage anime film, that's full of adventure and action, classic space opera anime and highly recommend.

Dirty Pair Project Eden

Dirty Pair: Project Eden - Movie Forums

This was a fun adventure comedy following the disastrous duo of the the dirty pair on one of thier hilarious mishaps of a mission that involves a mad scientist and a world ending plot which they avoid and then, well its the dirty pair so I'll let you find out. 

Legend of the Galactic Heroes; My Conquest is the Sea of Stars

7er14q.gif.eba136ba5743c9319af0c0a70dbaa542.gif 

This is a great film and a great way to get introduced into the classic Legend of the Galactic Heroes (1988) OVA series, an a pretty good standalone if you just like space opera and political intrigue, I would recommend the series after this obviously, 

Violet Evergarden (The Movie)

Animated gif about gif in violet evergarden by Private User

This was one of my favourite films I've watched more recently and I really enjoyed, defiantly need to watched the series first thou with this one.

Also a couple film I haven't got round to watch these films, but they are certainly on my list and recommend others give them a check out at a later point to. 

Arion

Arion GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

This is a classic anime series based on Greek Mythology, based on the Manga by YAS of Gundam Fame, and developed into a film that looks really enjoyable. 

Galaxy Express 999 (Trilogy)

7er09g.gif.c9e769488f590abe588ad85cfdef6aa0.gif

This is a film compilation based on the Galaxy Express 999 series and also a few sequels that continue  to expanded the story, based on the manga by the recently departed Leiji Matsumoto, I've been watching the TV series but would recommend the films as well. 

Space Battleship Yamato (Trilogy)

7er1k8.gif.e7d93f2f58029b4c81b1ac6070f0b34b.gif

Also the space battleship yamato compilation films be it the remake or the original series, I enjoyed the series and would recommend the films at least to get you into the franchise. 

Arcadia of My Youth 

7er0py.gif.0d1ce9582a25eac57f7f30c0c776c797.gif

And last but not least, Arcadia of My Youth, the prequel to the Space Pirate Captain Halrock series again created by the late Leiji Matsumoto, this looks like a really good film and I really wanna watch this one and recommend it to anyone else who wants to get into the Leijiverse.

Edited by MarathonGuy1337
  • Like 1