What Are Your Favorite Hobbies?

Wild Emotion

Howdy y'all! Just wondering what's everyone's favorite hobbies. Pretty much all I do is play games and watch anime, but I'm not sure if those could technically be called hobbies or interests.

And so, my fellow anime fans, I ask you, what are your favorite hobbies? ^^

1 hour ago, Rebel Spirit said:

Howdy y'all! Just wondering what's everyone's favorite hobbies. Pretty much all I do is play games and watch anime, but I'm not sure if those could technically be called hobbies or interests.

My favourite hobbies are photography and railways, two which go together nicely.

I'll photograph anything I find interesting, but I prefer to photograph railway subjects, preferably steam locomotives and especially Great Western Railway locomotives.

I also like model railways and my current layout is a 009 narrow gauge railway based on a Welsh slate line.

mvr-22.jpg.6e505efa55c8736e25f3c105306958ec.jpg

mvr-01.jpg.ac8c57e45179960ea5f2c62145aac77d.jpg

• Friendly 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 2

2 hours ago, Animedragon said:

My favourite hobbies are photography and railways, two which go together nicely.

I'll photograph anything I find interesting, but I prefer to photograph railway subjects, preferably steam locomotives and especially Great Western Railway locomotives.

I also like model railways and my current layout is a 009 narrow gauge railway based on a Welsh slate line.

mvr-22.jpg.6e505efa55c8736e25f3c105306958ec.jpg

mvr-01.jpg.ac8c57e45179960ea5f2c62145aac77d.jpg

That's an interesting hobby. It reminds me of my grandma because she got me a small, collectible train figure that's really neat and functional. Makes me smile whenever I see it. She also got me a train watch, also a collectible item. I say collectible, but it's not like I'll ever sell them. Not after my grandma passed away. Now pictures are all we have left of her. And memories, of course. Good memories associated with trains for me. Congrats on such an interesting hobby, my friend. ^^

• Like 1

I'd say my main hobbies involve collecting. I seem to go through phases with what I'm interested in collecting from time to time. Here lately, my interest is in collecting fountain pens and bottled inks (hence why my occupation subtitle reads "ink junkie"). I've slowed down on that, though, because they ain't exactly cheap. Granted, I'm not spending $9K+ on one pen (that's a bloody down-payment on a car! 😱), but after a while, $20 here and $35 there adds up. The pens I've collected thus far are all new, but some day I'd like to get an old, vintage pen from way back in the day, maybe early 20th or late 19th century... if I can find and afford one. I also collect stationery, because hey. Why not? I enjoy the feel of writing on paper and making my own personal marks on it. Other items I like to collect are tobacco pipes, which I have also slowed down on for the same reason as fountain pens, only they tend to be more expensive on average than a pen does. I imagine it's only a matter of time before I find something else that I develop an interest in and collect. I would like to collect postage stamps if there was more variety in them (or rather, it wasn't all junk-mail and credit card solicitations filling up my mailbox). Keeping a personal journal is something I've been doing for years on and off, but since I started getting fountain pens, I've been making entries just about every other day or so, instead of only once every three to six months at a time (gotta find some use for all those pens and ink).

Edited by viruxx
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

1 hour ago, viruxx said:

I'd say my main hobbies involve collecting. I seem to go through phases with what I'm interested in collecting from time to time. Here lately, my interest is in collecting fountain pens and bottled inks (hence why my occupation subtitle reads "ink junkie"). I've slowed down on that, though, because they ain't exactly cheap. Granted, I'm not spending $9K+ on one pen (that's a bloody down-payment on a car! 😱), but after a while, $20 here and $35 there adds up. The pens I've collected thus far are all new, but some day I'd like to get an old, vintage pen from way back in the day, maybe early 20th or late 19th century... if I can find and afford one. I also collect stationery, because hey. Why not? I enjoy the feel of writing on paper and making my own personal marks on it. Other items I like to collect are tobacco pipes, which I have also slowed down on for the same reason as fountain pens, only they tend to be more expensive on average than a pen does. I imagine it's only a matter of time before I find something else that I develop an interest in and collect. I would like to collect postage stamps if there was more variety in them (or rather, it wasn't all junk-mail and credit card solicitations filling up my mailbox). Keeping a personal journal is something I've been doing for years on and off, but since I started getting fountain pens, I've been making entries just about every other day or so, instead of only once every three to six months at a time (gotta find some use for all those pens and ink).

That's interesting. I never thought someone would be collecting fountain pens or tobacco pipes. I love how different it is! ^^ Anything different I'm a real fan of. How many tobacco pipes and fountain pens would you estimate that you've collected so far?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, viruxx said:

I went through several "collecting" things phases too. I built up quite a nice collection of small model cars and vans but stopped buying them when the manufacturer put the prices up too much, I was also running out of space to display and store them. Each year the Royal Mint produces a collectors set of the year's new coins and I collected those for a while until they changed the contents of the sets so they didn't include the "specials" that made the sets interesting.  One of the other things I collected was NASA mission patches, I found a mail order company here in the UK that sold them, and I have all the Apollo and Shuttle crew patches as well as a few mission payload patches. Then there's the army of Daleks and it's probably best not to go into my collections of Sci-Fi and anime related stuff.. .😱

And yeah, you've guessed it, my house is full of what some would call "clutter" there's models, ornaments and assorted nick-naks everywhere. Hey! but the house looks lived in!   🙂

• Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

43 minutes ago, Animedragon said:

I went through several "collecting" things phases too. I built up quite a nice collection of small model cars and vans but stopped buying them when the manufacturer put the prices up too much, I was also running out of space to display and store them. Each year the Royal Mint produces a collectors set of the year's new coins and I collected those for a while until they changed the contents of the sets so they didn't include the "specials" that made the sets interesting.  One of the other things I collected was NASA mission patches, I found a mail order company here in the UK that sold them, and I have all the Apollo and Shuttle crew patches as well as a few mission payload patches. Then there's the army of Daleks and it's probably best not to go into my collections of Sci-Fi and anime related stuff.. .😱

And yeah, you've guessed it, my house is full of what some would call "clutter" there's models, ornaments and assorted nick-naks everywhere. Hey! but the house looks lived in!   🙂

I love it, man! Collection mania! I think it's really awesome to collect things, though I'm not really sure why I like people that do so much. lol I just like things and people that are different I guess.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rebel Spirit said:

I love it, man! Collection mania! I think it's really awesome to collect things, though I'm not really sure why I like people that do so much. lol I just like things and people that are different I guess.

Someone once said "Collect things because you like them and they have a meaning for you. Don't collect things because they might be worth something in the future, because most likely they won't be."

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Animedragon said:

Someone once said "Collect things because you like them and they have a meaning for you. Don't collect things because they might be worth something in the future, because most likely they won't be."

Yeah, once I collect something it's definitely not to wait until it gets expensive or cheap, I hold on to it with a firm grip. Everything I have is valuable, to me. Some things are sentimental value, while others are just prized possessions. I'll never get rid of anything in my collection, that's for sure.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Rebel Spirit said:

Everything I have is valuable, to me. Some things are sentimental value, while others are just prized possessions. I'll never get rid of anything in my collection, that's for sure.

I agree with that 100%.

In fact I've got loads of my late parent's collections and stuff, most of which I have no use for, but I'll never get rid of it.

• Like 1
  • Friendly 1

8 hours ago, Animedragon said:

One of the other things I collected was NASA mission patches, I found a mail order company here in the UK that sold them, and I have all the Apollo and Shuttle crew patches as well as a few mission payload patches. 

At the risk of adding to the clutter :) JPL has an online store selling items related to the robotic missions they do there.  The Mars rovers for instance.

I have a lot of that kind of stuff as well.  (But I’m not selling :D )

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 5:05 AM, Rebel Spirit said:

writing :D

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

5 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I agree with that 100%.

In fact I've got loads of my late parent's collections and stuff, most of which I have no use for, but I'll never get rid of it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. ^^

3 hours ago, after said:

writing :D

I used to write, too. What do you mostly write? Stories? Lyrics?

2 hours ago, Digimon_Sommelier said:

Singing/Writing/Cardio/Anime/Running a wrestling promotion as its President. 

That's a lot more hobbies than I was expecting. Impressive!

• Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

22 hours ago, Rebel Spirit said:

That's interesting. I never thought someone would be collecting fountain pens or tobacco pipes. I love how different it is! ^^ Anything different I'm a real fan of. How many tobacco pipes and fountain pens would you estimate that you've collected so far?

More than the average person would. I have 15 pens and 28 pipes. 😆

It's a start I guess. 😅

• Cute (Kawaii) 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

2 hours ago, viruxx said:

More than the average person would. I have 15 pens and 28 pipes. 😆

It's a start I guess. 😅

I love it! Being different in your own way is really cool in my opinion. I love when people do something, or collect something, that's outside of the norm. You've got my respect. ^^

• Like 2