What Songs Have Sentimental Value to You?

Emotion Flux

Howdy there! I was just wondering, because I've said mine before but not in a topic like this, what song (or songs) have sentimental value to you or some other sentimental attachment to it (or them) ?

For me, it has to be Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. It makes me think hardcore about my big sis', and of course how I wish she could be here. She was definitely taken before her time... at the age of 26, when I was 19, 1 month before her 27th birthday. She'd be 42 now, if she was indeed here. Not something that's easy to picture, that's for sure. She just had the spirit of a young person. So, since mom's a big fan of the band, we listen to a lot of it whenever we're in the car. Wish You Were Here is probably the only song (not only by Pink Floyd, but just in general) that has any actual sentimental value to me. Makes me sad to hear it, but also glad that she doesn't have to feel any more corporeal pain, like we feel.

So, how about y'all? Any songs that have sentimental value to you like Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd has to me? Let me know if there is, I'd love to hear your stories! ^^

Edited by Rebel Spirit

"What's Love Got To Do Wuth It" by Tina Turner. I come from a domestic violence background, like Tina, and I made it out just like her. The song went to #1 in 1984 and is her biggest hit. I am a singer too, and I will get that "chef's kiss" #1 as well!

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

13 hours ago, Digimon_Sommelier said:

"What's Love Got To Do Wuth It" by Tina Turner. I come from a domestic violence background, like Tina, and I made it out just like her. The song went to #1 in 1984 and is her biggest hit. I am a singer too, and I will get that "chef's kiss" #1 as well!

That's a good one right there. A nice, solid reason for sentimental value. ^^ Sweet reasons. Although I am sorry that you had to come from such a background. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. What genre do you sing in? Or do you just sing and kind of make up the tune as you go along?

Roxanne by The Police. We play a pretty extensive list of songs at work, and this is one that will play every now and again throughout the day. Whenever it would come on, my dad would hear it and try to sing along to it... but unfortunately, my dad was severely tone-deaf. He couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. He knew it, but he didn't care at all. He'd just wail away. I think he would have made Simon Cowell recoil in horror with the noises he made. 🤣 But, he got a lot of laughs out of all of us (and any customers that were present when he did it). Always reminds me of him and his little "performances" when I hear it, and makes me laugh a little.

• Friendly 1

14 minutes ago, viruxx said:

Roxanne by The Police. We play a pretty extensive list of songs at work, and this is one that will play every now and again throughout the day. Whenever it would come on, my dad would hear it and try to sing along to it... but unfortunately, my dad was severely tone-deaf. He couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. He knew it, but he didn't care at all. He'd just wail away. I think he would have made Simon Cowell recoil in horror with the noises he made. 🤣 But, he got a lot of laughs out of all of us (and any customers that were present when he did it). Always reminds me of him and his little "performances" when I hear it, and makes me laugh a little.

That's a good memory to have, with a good song to link it to. It's sweet to remember your dad like that. ^^

On 3/28/2023 at 4:17 PM, Rebel Spirit said:

That's a good one right there. A nice, solid reason for sentimental value. ^^ Sweet reasons. Although I am sorry that you had to come from such a background. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. What genre do you sing in? Or do you just sing and kind of make up the tune as you go along?

Rock and Pop music!

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

• 4 months later...

A few songs come off the top of my head, all related to my wife:

• Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now (Starship)
  • Dreaming Of You (Selena)
  • Everytime I Close My Eyes (Babyface)

All three of these we labeled as our personal songs during our dating years, with Starship's being our wedding song. No matter how troubled our worlds are at any moment, hearing that on the radio brings us back and helps us reset.

• Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough (Patty Smyth & Don Henley)
  • Picture (Kid Rock & Sheryl Crow)

I love hearing my wife sing, and she's got a good ballad voice. These are our two best ballad songs to duet, thus the best chances I get her to sing in the car. She wishes there were some happier duets than these that she knew the words to, so we're open to suggestions. But we still kill these two.

Back in the High Life Again by Steve Winwood

remember listening to this one a lot while hanging out with my best friend during my last summer of highschool

I Know Who Holds Tomorrow

one of the songs I played accompaniment on the piano for my mom when she used to sing in church. She passed in 2017.

The Living Years (Mike & The Mechanics)

This one has always been powerful, even moreso since my dad passed away.

Edited by Ohayotaku

This is the first song that comes to mind when I think of sentimental songs, though it's a very strange song I guess lol The song is Code Monkey by Jonathan Coulton. The reason is that someone I dated once sent this song to me. We'd just gotten together and had stayed up all night talking for almost 12 hours, and he was like it's so cheesy of a song but I've been listening to this awhile now and every time I listen to it I always thought about you so it kind of became "our" song, this is the exact video he sent me as well I'm glad it still exists on YT lol. Ever since then it's been on every playlist I've ever had. I don't know where he is now  and it's probably been 10 or 11 years since I've talked to this person but every time I hear it on one of my playlists I always think about him for a few minutes and wonder how he's doing now. 

And this is another song that has some sentimental value to me, it's called "What If" by Kate Winslet. It reminds me also of someone I loved a lot that I still think a lot about all the time. I listen to this when I get in my feels and kick myself for messing up a really good thing I could have had but I was still not in a good place to have a relationship because of an incident with a crazy person that turned me off to relationships. I've been sort of spam playing this song this week as well lol ~

And this last one is 1000 Words from FFX-2 for the same reason as I listed on the song above this one lol ~

• Friendly 1

• 1 month later...

Great topic to discuss. One song that holds immense sentimental value for me is "Yesterday" by The Beatles. It's a classic, and whenever I hear it, it takes me back to my childhood when my dad used to play it on his guitar. He wasn't a professional musician, but he had a way of making that song sound so beautiful. It reminds me of family gatherings, laughter, and the warmth of those moments. It's like a time machine in musical form, transporting me to a simpler, happier time.

• Friendly 1

• 3 months later...

I think a lot about this song as someone who comes from a home that was chaotic. My younger siblings just growing up without a father and the confusion they deal with about it and having gone through that myself and much older with the experience, it's reflects how I feel towards them and how they are not alone