Original FFVII vs FFVII Remake

Emotion Flux

Since I only have the means to play the original via my Switch, I have to ask if the Remake of FFVII is better? Obviously better graphics, but is it really better? Or just more visually stimulating? I, for one, appreciate the story of the first one, and the fact that it isn't split up into separate games to try to cover the whole story.

So, what's your preference? Do you actually prefer the remake? Or do you prefer the original? Myself, I prefer the original. Visuals aren't everything.

How about you?

• 2 months later...

The remake is a good game and is technically "better" because of the extended characterization and plot, but definately play the original first. There is a lot of detail put into the remake for hardcore fans of the original game to see. As for the quality thing, I'd say the original and remake are different experiences in and of themselves, even if the remake is "better" in many aspects. The original is an excellent game that holds up on its own, even with the remake available. It's especially hard to compare since Remake stretches the game's plot out to be much longer, in addition to adding some side content not present in the original game. There are two(!) more titles for the remake that are going to be released to cover the rest of the original's plot. Gameplay wise, it's purely down to personal preference of the old style turn based combat system VS the new final fantasy action style combat system. Like I said, Remake is better technically, but it's even better and rewarding if you experience the original first. 

On 6/19/2023 at 2:52 PM, Kleiner said:

The remake is a good game and is technically "better" because of the extended characterization and plot, but definately play the original first. There is a lot of detail put into the remake for hardcore fans of the original game to see. As for the quality thing, I'd say the original and remake are different experiences in and of themselves, even if the remake is "better" in many aspects. The original is an excellent game that holds up on its own, even with the remake available. It's especially hard to compare since Remake stretches the game's plot out to be much longer, in addition to adding some side content not present in the original game. There are two(!) more titles for the remake that are going to be released to cover the rest of the original's plot. Gameplay wise, it's purely down to personal preference of the old style turn based combat system VS the new final fantasy action style combat system. Like I said, Remake is better technically, but it's even better and rewarding if you experience the original first. 

Be that as it may, even if it is better, I can't play it without my PS4 breaking down from overworking itself trying to play the newer game. It doesn't play newer games very well... Which is fine by me though, I'm more of a nostalgic kind of player. So, given those issues, I can't even play it, so I guess it's not really an option for me. That must be why I like the original so much. That reminds me, I got Crisis Core too on my Switch, so I'm set as it is with the blu-ray of Advent Children now in my possession.

• Like 1