What is the worst anime you've ever seen?

Rock-O-Jello

For me, it's probably Sword Art Online. I can't stand "power fantasy" characters (or characters with no personality, for that matter), I don't like how we're never given a reason why Kayaba trapped 2,000 people inside a death game, and I think it's really insensitive that Reki Kawahara used rape as a "this-character-is-a-bad-guy-hate-him-hate-him" signal twice.

What about you guys? Have you got any anime you can't stand?

For me the number one front runner for the title of "worst anime I've ever seen" has to be Kokoro Connect. Here we have an alien being who for some unexplained reason is messing with the minds, and bodies, of a group of five high school students. The series runs for 12 episodes and then just ends, the alien just says I'm not going to mess you around any more, good bye. There's no explanation of why it did what it did and gives me the impression that the author came up with what they thought was an interesting plot then realised they didn't have a clue about how to end the story and just put their pen down and walked away, or perhaps the studio just ran out of money to pay the staff and so it was just abandoned and left unfinished.

Another contender is Fireworks. A film which has a storyline that I found really confusing and difficult to follow. Near the end the film has a bizarre chase sequence where the person being chased has the ability to jump back in time an hour or so and uses the knowledge of the future he left to avoid being captured. The longer the film went on the less sense the story made.

8 hours ago, Rebel Spirit said:

For me it was Fooly Cooly. I watched it for a while, but after that I dropped it. I didn't understand what was going on, so it didn't make sense to keep watching it.

I remember the hype when that was released. Reviewers  suffered from "Kings new clothes" syndrome when reviewing it, then when people started actually watching they, like you, realised they didn't understand any of it and the series sank without trace after a few months. 

I never bothered with it, the trailers convinced me not to. 🙂

20 hours ago, Rock-O-Jello said:

For me, it's probably Sword Art Online. I can't stand "power fantasy" characters (or characters with no personality, for that matter), I don't like how we're never given a reason why Kayaba trapped 2,000 people inside a death game, and I think it's really insensitive that Reki Kawahara used rape as a "this-character-is-a-bad-guy-hate-him-hate-him" signal twice.

What about you guys? Have you got any anime you can't stand?

This hurts on so many levels

2 minutes ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

The truth as a way of doing that

Ahhh come one. SAO was the first of it's kind. It set ground for a generation of other isekai. Further more i prefer one saying " i dindt understand it"  instead of claiming stuff. It is very clearly explained in the anime why Kayaba did what he did . It is explained on many levels.

If you like anime and than saying you dont like SAO, is like saying you like italian food but cannot stand risotto

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Bulleje76 said:

Ahhh come one. SAO was the first of it's kind. It set ground for a generation of other isekai. Further more i prefer one saying " i dindt understand it"  instead of claiming stuff. It is very clearly explained in the anime why Kayaba did what he did . It is explained on many levels.

Kayaba saying he wanted to make a city in the sky doesn't explain why he needed to trap and kill thousands of people to do that. Even if it's just because he wanted the city to be populated, he could've just made the game a regular MMORPG. Why would a villain do something that didn't help further their evil plans?

And furthermore, Kayaba's motive isn't explained "on many levels" like you claim. As shown in the screencap I attached, Kayaba straight-up forgets why he did the things he did.

If you like SAO, that's fine -- to each their own -- but don't sit there and tell me its writing is objectively good.

Screenshot 2023-04-04 12.18.10 PM.png

20 hours ago, Rebel Spirit said:

For me it was Fooly Cooly. I watched it for a while, but after that I dropped it. I didn't understand what was going on, so it didn't make sense to keep watching it.

i prefer FLCL: Alternative to FLCL, personally

13 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I remember the hype when that was released. Reviewers  suffered from "Kings new clothes" syndrome when reviewing it, then when people started actually watching they, like you, realised they didn't understand any of it and the series sank without trace after a few months. 

I never bothered with it, the trailers convinced me not to. 🙂

I never really saw the trailers. We just had what was available on tv, I didn't know where to go for trailers.

8 minutes ago, Rebel Spirit said:

I never really saw the trailers. We just had what was available on tv, I didn't know where to go for trailers.

Finding trailers was a bit hit and miss, sometimes news & review websites had them, sometimes they didn't and sometimes the trailers were region locked and wouldn't play on a connection from the UK.

1 hour ago, Animedragon said:

Finding trailers was a bit hit and miss, sometimes news & review websites had them, sometimes they didn't and sometimes the trailers were region locked and wouldn't play on a connection from the UK.

That sucks. :'(

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rebel Spirit said:

That sucks. :'(

Indeed it did. Thankfully, these days it's fairly easy to find trailers on YouTube and only a very few are restricted and won't play here in the UK. 🙂

• Friendly 1

1 hour ago, Animedragon said:

Indeed it did. Thankfully, these days it's fairly easy to find trailers on YouTube and only a very few are restricted and won't play here in the UK. 🙂

Now that is some awesome progress. I loved growing up in the 90s, all the bullying aside, so I'm glad when I hear about progress like that. I'll have to search YouTube for some trailers whenever I can get something after my upcoming birthday.

20 minutes ago, Android Rebel said:

Now that is some awesome progress. I loved growing up in the 90s, all the bullying aside, so I'm glad when I hear about progress like that. I'll have to search YouTube for some trailers whenever I can get something after my upcoming birthday.

The only slight downside of using YouTube for trailers is that it helps to know the name of the anime.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Bulleje76 said:

If you like anime and than saying you dont like SAO, is like saying you like italian food but cannot stand risotto

Love the arguments, however to counter the some of you're points, firstly it not 'I cannot understand it' but rather its a little to childish for my taste. I got into anime in my adulthood, so I lack nostalgia for entry anime of my generation. If a show was directed at teens and young adults and I'm now watching it as an adult for the first time, I often will find issues with it which prehaps younger viewers wouldn't have noticed. As a kid, I myself grew up with the Prequels and whilst I love those films dearly I'm the first to admit their faults. 

Also one might like a certain style of food, such as British cuisine yet despise the Cornish Pasty, so disliking a certain dish even prehaps a staple is not the mark of some one who inherently hates a certain style of food. Same goes for Anime, I generally have not liked Isekai, but love other Anime genres. 

8 hours ago, Android Rebel said:

i miss the late '90s - early 2000s. video stores, VHS tapes, landlines...

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 8:33 PM, Rock-O-Jello said:

If you like SAO, that's fine -- to each their own -- but don't sit there and tell me its writing is objectively good.

I am sorry,..my reply was a bit cranky and out of character. As i posted on this forum'; i started a new job last monday. The last few days were a bit stressed and i didnt sleep well.

• Friendly 1

2 hours ago, Bulleje76 said:

I am sorry,..my reply was a bit cranky and out of character. As i posted on this forum'; i started a new job last monday. The last few days were a bit stressed and i didnt sleep well.

you're forgiven. sorry if i sounded opinionated in my post

1 minute ago, Rock-O-Jello said:

you're forgiven. sorry if i sounded opinionated in my post

Thats no problem. Opinionated is fine since we are on this forum to share opinions. I just showed no respect in my reply and thats a no go

BUTTTT i still dont agree with you SAO opinion hahaha. Let me have 1 good night of sleep now and than i will try to convince you

• Optimistic 1