I'm looking for anime to watch

I_HATE_DEATH_STRANDING

Question

Anyone know any anime that wasn't based on a comic book (manga) or book in general? I'm not interested in anything ecchi or any anime with sexual content or shounen, please. Also, I'd like to know if there anime with no blonde hair and blue eyed characters all over the place. No offense, but that's all I've seen with the majority of new anime being produced.

10 answers to this question

On 4/4/2023 at 5:25 PM, I_HATE_DEATH_STRANDING said:

Anyone know any anime that wasn't based on a comic book (manga) or book in general? I'm not interested in anything ecchi or any anime with sexual content or shounen, please. Also, I'd like to know if there anime with no blonde hair and blue eyed characters all over the place. No offense, but that's all I've seen with the majority of new anime being produced.

Can you give a bit more info please? 500.000 animes fit your description. Instead of what you dont like, can you tell us what you DO like? Fantasy, magic, dark, reallife, history, adventure?

And may i ask what you dislike about the fact that an anime comes from a manga? I am curious :)

I didn't add a genres I personally liked because I wanted people to actually look for something based on what I asked for instead of worrying about the genre's I liked. To answer your other question about why I don't like anime based on books was situation that happened when I was younger. I had started reading a manga called "King of Bandit: Jing" and thought if I watched anime, it would match what I read. Needless to say, I found out that wasn't the case. It was like watching a completely different series. Over time, I grew to dislike anime that didn't follow the manga or books that they were based off of. It felt like that didn't even read the original source material or chose to do their own thing which just made worse.

All that being said, here's the list of anime genres I currently like and dislike; I hope this helps.

LIKED GENRES:

FANTASY

MAGIC

SUPERNATURAL

ACTION

ADVENTURE

COMEDY

SLICE OF LIFE

MARTIAL ARTS

POST-APOCOLYPTIC

SCIENCE FICTION

CYBERPUNK (I think this goes hand-in-hand with science fiction)

MECHA

SPACE

GAME (Like trading card games or mmorpgs (Please do NOT recommend me YUGIOH or SOA plz)

CARS

SPORTS

MILITARY

POLICE

SEINEN

ISEKAI

MYSTERY

ROMANCE

SCHOOL (I'd prefer a setting

TRAGEDY

HORROR

JOSEI

DISLIKED GENRES (In case you asked)

ECCHI

LOLI

HISTORICAL

MUSIC

HAREM

REVERSE-HAREM

SHOUJO

SHOUJO-AI

SHOUNEN

SHOUNEN-AI

SUPER POWER

DEMONS

VAMPIRE

YAOI

YURI

Edited by I_HATE_DEATH_STRANDING

4 hours ago, I_HATE_DEATH_STRANDING said:

It felt like that didn't even read the original source material or chose to do their own thing which just made worse.

This is what I call "Hollywood disease", the main symptom of which is where the film's scriptwriters have only read the book's back cover synopsis and then gone off and written their own story based and those few sentences.  Over the years I've come to have a great dislike for "film of the book" movies.

I do have a few series where I have both the anime and the manga it's based on and I've found that the anime sticks pretty close to the manga, and in at least one case I found the anime to be far better than the manga.

On 4/7/2023 at 4:57 PM, Animedragon said:

This is what I call "Hollywood disease", the main symptom of which is where the film's scriptwriters have only read the book's back cover synopsis and then gone off and written their own story based and those few sentences.  Over the years I've come to have a great dislike for "film of the book" movies.

I do have a few series where I have both the anime and the manga it's based on and I've found that the anime sticks pretty close to the manga, and in at least one case I found the anime to be far better than the manga.

So, what are the shows? Do they have names? I'd like to look into them and see if there are any I'd like. :)

1 hour ago, I_HATE_DEATH_STRANDING said:

So, what are the shows? Do they have names? I'd like to look into them and see if there are any I'd like. :)

OK, first up would be Magic Knight Rayearth the anime of the first series follows the manga fairly well, the story line of the anime of the second series is far better than the manga.

The anime of the original Cardcaptor Sakura follows the manga quite closely, although the cards are collected in a slightly different order but I think the manga version of who Sakura's father was is better and makes more sense than the anime version.

There are some differences between the anime and manga versions of Gunslinger Girl and Saikano both are good but I can't really decide which version I prefer.

It's been a while since I watched the anime and read the manga of Fushigi Yugi, but from memory I think the anime follows the manga quite well.

Video Girl Ai and Please Save My Earth both suffer from the same problem in that the anime only covers the first few chapters of a much longer anime.  The Video Girl Ai anime follows the manga storyline quite well and ends at a convenient break point in the manga storyline. The anime of Please Save My Earth on the other hand tries to present an overview of the whole story and ends up as a bit of a confusing mess. Both anime are only 6 episodes each, the creators of the VGA anime made a good choice to stop at a convenient point in the story, the creators of the PSME anime had a problem in that there's no really convenient break point in the story which runs for 21 volumes. VGA has 13 volumes and both manga series are worth reading.

In my view the anime of 3x3 Eyes does quite a good job of presenting the first few chapters of what is a rather long and rambling manga, it's been too long since I watched the anime and read the manga, so I can't say definitely which I prefer, but I suspect it's the anime version.

I found that the anime versions of Chobits and Angelic Layer followed the manga versions quite well although there are slight differences in the endings. The Chobits manga tries to tie the two series together but I don't think it works very well.

I hope this helps. The usual disclaimer applies, these are my views and opinions, other peoples mileage may vary. 🙂

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Space Battleship Yamato
Mobile Suit Gundam the Origin (or another Mobile Suit - big series but this is a good starting point).
Fate/Zero (or another Fate - big series but this is a good starting point). 
Psycho Pass
Claymore
Monster
Berserk
Madoka Magica 

Those are a few shows that might be worth a spot.