Cinemas

Optic

Lets talk about Cinemas, also known as the big screen! :)

Answer the following questions:

• How often do you go to the Cinema?
  • Typical pricing to see a movie?
  • Do you usually buy food and drink from the Candy Bar?
  • Ever experienced a disruption? (e.g. fire alarm, technical fault)
  • Your most favourite movie at the Cinema?

And my responses:

How often do you go to the Cinema?

On average once every 2 months, I tend to wait until the Bluray/DVD comes out for most releases. Having dinner at the shopping centre and watching a movie afterwards is a great combo!

Typical pricing to see a movie?

The biggest Cinema chain in Australia is Hoyts. Other big chains include ACE and Greater Union. There are a few small independent cinemas too that have a different atmosphere. Adult prices range between $10 to $17 depending on discounts and loyalty cards. 3D movies will always attract a surcharge of around $2. If you're a student you can get under $10 ticket pricing. There is also a premium option, for Hoyts they call it La Premiere and for ACE they call it the Gold Lounge. Pricing is around $60 for a two seater couch and features include more comfortable seating, hot food which can be brought out to you at your preferred intervals and access to alcoholic drinks.

Do you usually buy food and drink from the Candy Bar?

Yes, despite it being absurdly expensive -- I usually go for a regular popcorn and Coke combo, which can easily reach $10. It's where they make most of their profits as I believe they don't get much profit margins from ticket sales alone. All the Cinemas here stock the usual snacks and chocolates

Ever experienced a disruption? (e.g. fire alarm, technical fault)

Thankfully nothing major. Had a technical fault where the aspect ratio was messed up (video image was completely squashed), it was fixed within 2 minutes. On a more recent occasion when I saw 007: Skyfall with a friend there was a family who brought a baby and was crying throughout the whole first 15 minutes of the film. Naturally the loud explosions and gunshots startled the poor thing! Probably not the best place to bring a baby... and it was quite distracting trying to listen to the dialogue scenes. Another viewer got really angry and got up from his seat and started swearing at the family. :(The two then argued with each other whilst the rest of us just wanted to watch the film in peace. Eventually the family with the baby left, definitely a situation that could've escalated quickly.

Your most favourite movie at the Cinema?

District 9. It was the only film I've watched in the Cinema twice, and again on Bluray. It was that good. ;)

Look forward to your responses!

Maybe 4 or 5 times a year if I'm lucky :P

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Optic" data-cid="1788" data-time="1358353185]

The biggest Cinema chain in Australia is Hoyts. Other big chains include ACE and Greater Union. There are a few small independent cinemas too that have a different atmosphere. Adult prices range between $10 to $17 depending on discounts and loyalty cards. 3D movies will always attract a surcharge of around $2. If you're a student you can get under $10 ticket pricing. There is also a premium option, for Hoyts they call it La Premiere and for ACE they call it the Gold Lounge. Pricing is around $60 for a two seater couch and features include more comfortable seating, hot food which can be brought out to you at your preferred intervals and access to alcoholic drinks.

</blockquote>

Nailed it :) Went and saw Life of Pi in 3D today, cost me $13, the lady was kind enough to give me and my girlfriend children's tickets haha!

No, unless it's a group, then we usually split it in pairs. I think the last time I split with someone half of the popcorn ended up over me and she had m&m's or something ridiculous spilled everywhere :/ Anyway! Getting carried away.

Does a wall of girls in front of us texting with their screens on high thinking they're being discrete count?

I have no idea! I'll get back to you on that!

Hmm I love to go to cinema! Last month I went to cinema about 9 times? But still ... in cinema I only watch the movies I like (it's not like that I love cinema so much that I would watch every movie just to be there ;p). I prefer to watch movies in cinema or on TV ... but if I miss them I just download them xD sometimes I don't have enough money to watch them all in the cinema ;D

The tickets are around 5-6€ (that's 7-8$). That's pretty expensive in our country xdd (that's why I'm always really shocked when I'm travelling and I go to the cinema and the tickets cost twice as much).

I usually buy ice tea in the store (because in the store it only costs around 0,80€ and in the cinema it costs around 2,5€). But in the cinema I buy popcorn, because it's better than the one from the story ;D

Yes! I don't know why but they are constantly changing the volume! When there's an explosion in the movie they turn down the volume a little. When I watched James Bond it was really annoying, since Bond is an action film x,x They started doing this a few months ago x,x And I think once they had to cancell our movie because someone called and said that there's a bomb in the cinema.

I don't know. ;I I can't choose just one! ;o

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Optic" data-cid="1788" data-time="1358353185]

[.......]

District 9. It was the only film I've watched in the Cinema twice, and again on Bluray. It was that good. ;)

</blockquote>

• Depends on what we want to see and how soon. I admit we are rather naughty in this house so not as much as should
  • in Sydney, $17-$18.50 for Event. Where we have just moved it appears that our closest/easiest to get to one is a standard adult price of $8.50-$11.50 3D (also Event... weird that)!
  • Slurpy after raiding Woolies/Supermarket
  • both of the mentioned actually
  • Tangled or Wall.E (I really am an adult I swear. Just Disney/Pixar usually gets me to fork out the actual money lol)

It was that good you have seen 3 times, or that good you saw in the cinema twice?

Hmm, that's a tough one, at least once every month. More trips if there are movies I want to watch. It really depends on the quality of the movies that are coming out

Over at our here, the price ranges about S$7.5 on weekdays, and about S$10 on weekends. But we got lots of discounts like for student, senior citizens, and members of certain membership card gets the discounts as well.

Nah. One big bag and a trip to the nearest supermarket or any snack shop will do. Just smuggle them in, its way cheaper than getting stuff at the candy bar.

Not really. Although I wanna try once.

Too many to pick one for this

Loving the interesting responses so far!

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ishtar" data-cid="1802" data-time="1358421991]

It was that good you have seen 3 times, or that good you saw in the cinema twice?

</blockquote>

Saw it in the cinema twice. :) Third time was on Bluray. :D

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Taalen" data-cid="1793" data-time="1358357726]

Does a wall of girls in front of us texting with their screens on high thinking they're being discrete count?

</blockquote>

You know, I experienced the same thing at uni with laptop screens in the rows in front of me. Discrete... they really should have lowered the brightness and angle it downwards, or leave it off! But perhaps for them it couldn't wait. ;)

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Nami" data-cid="1798" data-time="1358383207]

Yes! I don't know why but they are constantly changing the volume! When there's an explosion in the movie they turn down the volume a little. When I watched James Bond it was really annoying, since Bond is an action film x,x

</blockquote>

They tamper with the volume?! How bizarre! Are they worried it's too loud? :o You must keep us informed about this Nami, maybe more people will complain about it and it will appear as a news article. Does it happen at your local cinema or have you noticed it in other cinemas too in different suburbs?

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Fab" data-cid="1805" data-time="1358652585]

...One big bag and a trip to the nearest supermarket or any snack shop will do. Just smuggle them in, its way cheaper than getting stuff at the candy bar.

</blockquote>

What kind of snacks do you usually get Fab? Chocolates, candy or both? I know one of my friends used to do this, I had fond memories of sharing his M&M chocolates and candy snakes. ^_^

• 3 months later...

Time to like revive this thread. Haha

I normally just get any chips that I'm craving for, maybe a bottle of water as well. Cinemas charge them for like $3 while I can get like $1 at the supermarket. The mark-up rate is seriously scaring.

A: It depends if there are many movies I want to see or not but usually like 4 times a month. =)

A: I've got this Unlimited card that I pay 19 Euros (Around 25 AUD) for each month via my bankaccount. With that card I can go to as much movies as I want to for "free", I have to see at least 2 movies and I already got over 19 euros. ^^ The price here depends on if it's 2D, 3D or iMax. =)

A: Sometimes, only a big bucket of sweet & salt popcorn I share with my boyfriend. Sweet & salt are the only two kinds of popcorn you can get here =( So I want a mix of it haha! I get 10% discount with my Unlimited card.

Firealarm: Just before I went to the movies but it was a false alarm so that was okay!
    Technical fault: A few times, that sometimes you only have audio and no video or they forget to add the "3D layer" so you can't really watch the movie etc.

Hard to choose, at the moment I would say Iron Man 3 and The Dark Knight Rises. Changes everytime.

Probably? I don't know ;o but when I talked to others they didn't mind that -.- but when I went to see Ironman 3 they didn't do that :Đ

We don't have so many different cinemas here. The biggest one is almost across the street from my place and they're the only one that allows you to bring drink and food in the cinema room and that's why we always go there ;Đ

• 10 months later...
Probably? I don't know ;o but when I talked to others they didn't mind that -.- but when I went to see Ironman 3 they didn't do that :Đ

We don't have so many different cinemas here. The biggest one is almost across the street from my place and they're the only one that allows you to bring drink and food in the cinema room and that's why we always go there ;Đ

That's awesome! We can't bring our own food and drinks, they check your bags...I always hide it in my hood of my jacket xD

• 4 months later...

Been to an much more high class cinema lately. Basically its the same cinema except they have different kind of theater. The one we previously discussed was the normal one where its for everyone. The one that I've been to however, is more like an exclusive version.

Its only houses about 18-20 people per theater so you can imagine the size of one. They are are mostly 2 seats side by side with a certain space between each pair of seats. It also includes a mini table in-between the 2 seats. Seats are able to recline so you can be lying down to watch a movie with alot more leg space. Blankets are provided. You can even order main courses, hot beverages or snacks, of course at an extra cost. Tickets for this are also much more expensive than the normal one.

Any of you have such stuff in your country as well?

• Informative 1

Yes @Fab we have similar, two different Cinema brands here do that. One of them I've been to:

ACE Cinema - Gold Lounge

You get a small soft-drink and bowl of popcorn included in the price of your ticket. There is a special lounge you wait in before heading into the Cinema and as you said you can order expensive hot snacks and meals to be delivered to you at certain intervals (start, middle of movie, etc.) And you can order a drink or two (alcoholic) if that's your sort of thing.

The seats in this one are similar to what you described. Mini table in-between and large electronic recliners on the sides.

However where this differs is you share the same cinema as the normal patrons... the special Gold Lounge area is just in an elevated position towards the back...

It was good fun going Gold Lounge, did it a few times but really it's more for an intimate setting with your partner. :P

So in my opinion:

Pros:

• Much more comfortable seating!
  • Hot food and snacks at extra expense
  • Table is handy, also has a button to call staff.

Cons:

• Food quality is not worth the premium price... for that price you could spend that on a much better quality restaurant meal BEFORE the movie
  • Same cinema as the normal patrons, so same audio/visual experience

IMO, for that price you would get much better value spending it towards an IMAX ticket instead. And you'd still have leftover money for desserts at the cafe next door. ;)

• Agree 1

My local cinema closed down a few months back to be rebuilt and it will not reopen again until 2016! Pretty bad that it can close for so long but they reckon once it reopens it will be the best cinema in the world. We'll see....

@Fab We don't have those kind of cinemas here I believe. We do have a cinema that has love seats for couples to lay down on a couch together to cuddle and watch a movie. I think that makes a regular cinema date something more romantic. It's not nearby for me though.

One cinema in Amsterdam is to be said one of the most beautiful cinema's in the world. Click on the link for an impression =)

https://www.google.nl/search?q=amsterdam+tuschinski&rlz=1C1OPRB_enNL552NL552&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=3mH0U73sCYSmO96_gOgB&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=979

• Informative 1

@Fab We don't have those kind of cinemas here I believe. We do have a cinema that has love seats for couples to lay down on a couch together to cuddle and watch a movie. I think that makes a regular cinema date something more romantic. It's not nearby for me though.

One cinema in Amsterdam is to be said one of the most beautiful cinema's in the world. Click on the link for an impression =)

https://www.google.nl/search?q=amsterdam tuschinski&rlz=1C1OPRB_enNL552NL552&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=3mH0U73sCYSmO96_gOgB&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=979

wtf that is so cool! I don't know if we have things like love seats in Australian cinemas... I will have to find out.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=amsterdam tuschinski&rlz=1C1OPRB_enNL552NL552&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=3mH0U73sCYSmO96_gOgB&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=979

That is darn cool. Haha, we do have couple seats as well, even in normal theaters, just that its normally placed right at the back. Some others allow for the arm rest to be pulled upright to become its own couple seat but thats alittle uncomfortable with the small gap inbetween.

This is what the one I went to looks like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gold+class&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Ldf6U7vfE8KjugSRw4KIBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=647#q=gold+class+golden+village&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

• 3 years later...

1-2 monthly, well it depends on whether i'm going with my friends or family. 

It varies around 8 - 10 euros, that's normally the price i would pay for a cinema ticket.

Honestly, even though it's not allowed to bring food and drinks of your own, i still do it like the average of the visitors. Mostly because of the heavy costs for drinks/food, though a little popcorn box isn't a bad thing at times.

I don't recall much about that, only witnessed when someone got kicked out for being loud and bothering other visitors but it was rather a little disruption. 

Harry Potter & Pirates of the Caribbean, all-time favorites and will remain so. I do have plans to watch Maze Runner 3 as it's currently being broadcast at the cinemas nearby, seen the first two parts on Blu-ray already.

Edited by Muco
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

• 1 year later...

This was an interesting topic, still very relevant today, so bumping it.

I go at least twice a year, but not really as often as I’d like to. There’s just always something else to spend money on, ya know?

Price - I like going to the newer theatre, where the screen is bigger and the sound is the best quality, so the ticket price is higher than usual - plus I use fandango to reserve seats, since I mostly go for bigger/ more anticipated movie events. Tickets for adults are $14.25 USD normally, without fandango upcharge.

I bring candy sometimes that I get from the dollar store 🤣 same candy, 1/4 price. But sometimes I buy candy, depends on who I’m going with I guess.. hubs likes to bring candy, I like to buy it there.. Since we go so rarely, I splurge on things while I’m there.

The new theatre also has a drink bar, but mostly I just order a red icee- that’s my treat at the theatre. Although, I think it costs like $10.00 😳 they charge so much for nice things 

I have had to reschedule a movie once, being refunded a ticket in the middle of the movie due to a thunderstorm... I don’t think I ever did finish that movie 🤣

Harry Potter! It’s the most magical experience to see in theatre. It doesn’t hurt that most HP movies were released on my birthday weekend 😁

However, for 3D screening, Avatar was very impressively done. I haven’t seen another movie that actually made sense to be screened in 3D. But that one, man that one jumped right off the screen.

F6056701-7243-4575-A274-736339199612.thumb.jpeg.3f485a2e21eb9b6fe49f523eead82280.jpeg

I remember seeing Harry Potter and the goblet of fire in theatres as a teen & the scene where the opposing schools were introduced for the first time was amazing. I remember how loud the staffs were that the Durmstrang boys used, and the magical effects/ sound effects were so vibrant. The series’ theatre success is probably the whole reason the franchise became so big that it got its own place in universal studios.

• 2 years later...

I love going to the cinema and especially midnight releases, I've been lucky enough to see every new star wars at midnight along with some of the MCU movies.

How often do I go? -  maybe 5-10 times a year depending on what movies are coming out.

Prices - 5 euro per ticket for smaller cinemas, 10 euro for the bigger companies like Odeon or Omniplex.

Do I get food? - Depends, it's usually stupid expensive so we try to just sneak snacks in.

Any interruptions? - I'm lucky enough to stay nope!

Favourite Movie to see? - too many good ones to pick. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not much of a cinemagoer as I often like to stay in and rent, shut off all the lights and get comfy on the couch. I do love a local theater that does 20-80's night! Sometimes they have what's called a Movie Party Night. Basically cosplay contests, trivia and special effects before and after the movie. Sing-along/karaoke contests for musicals too. Fun stuff! Last year in October I went to a Lost Boys movie party and they did some pyro effects that were incredible. 

Sometimes I get a hotdog and milkshake or a beer but I don't really like the prices these days.  

Once, while watching Spectre, the film cut to black for a good 13 minutes. Someone came out to apologize and they started the movie over again from the beginning. Ended up leaving with my party. We never went back to this specific theater. It was in a wealthy area and supposedly had the best tech. Irony! 30 for a single martini too, next!

Personally love watching the classics. All kinds but I'll never forget catching Casablanca a couple of years ago. Had seen the movie many times on television but never the big screen. When I left the theater it was raining too. Umbrellas and Autumn coats, it was perfect.    

On 1/16/2013 at 11:19 AM, Optic said:

Maybe 5 times a year. Mainly for MCU & the occasional anime film (So far this year: Jujutsu Kaisen 0 & Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness)

If it’s something I’m really hyped for will go for an opening night showing after work. Otherwise, will usually do a weekend matinee, so there’s like a $10 spread.

Usually not. Outside of the prices, unlike at home you can’t put it on pause if you need to hit the restroom or take a coughing fit because a popcorn shell gets hung in your throat.

At the JJK0 showing the english dub started playing even though it was supposed to be the subtitled version. People in the audience kept looking at each other & snickering. I think someone did get up & complain because  after 10 minutes they started the movie over with the correct audio track.

More of a favorite memory actually. When I was 13 my best friend’s mom took a van load of us to see Return of the Jedi. I remember the theater being packed and the audience just erupting (everyone clapping & cheering) when

Vader tossed Palpatine down the shaft

Edited by Ohayotaku

I've never been a great cinema goer. I did go to see the first three Star Wars films and the Lord of the Rings,  I think the last film I went to see was Chronicles of Narnia The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, so you can see how long ago it was since I went to a cinema! It wasn't, as I recall, a good experience with too much background noise and other disturbances from the audience.    Cinema going isn't helped by the fact that my towns cinema was demolished 50+ years ago after standing derelict for several years before that*. Also there's no car parking anywhere near the surviving local cinemas and the public transport isn't that great late a night. Before posting this I tried to find out how much the tickets were, but the prices are not shown on their website until you book a seat, comments on review sites seem to suggest they are expensive.

*  When I was in junior school I went past the derelict cinema on my way to and from school and my friend and I always wanted to explore the inside of the building, but our mothers could smell a torch at 50 paces and all our efforts to smuggle one out of the house came to nothing. When they were demolishing the place I got to see inside and realised just how dangerous a place it was. (I would still have liked to explore it, danger doesn't bother you when you're 11 or 12 years old!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • How often do you go to the Cinema?

-Not as often as id like. Id say probably once every like 2 or 3 months if something comes out that looks interesting or is something ive been looking forward to. I feel like I need to watch less franchise movies and try watching stuff brand new/go into something completely blind and not know what to expect. 

11-13$ for a ticket. I buy tickets through my bank and theyre like 9$ and an upcharge for imax of like 6$

Only popcorn/nachos/soda. Candy and small snacks we defo sneak in lmao. I bought ice cream once and that was a disaster so never again 

• Ever experienced a disruption? (e.g. fire alarm, technical fault)

Don't think I have

Currently? uhhh maybe bobs burgers atm lmao. It didnt feel like a movie more an extended episode, but it was so cute and different that i couldnt help loving it. Especially watching with my family.

• 3 weeks later...