Swearing on TV

Nebulous

I saw thread about swearing on forums, but what about TV?

Do you think they should lighten up on the censors? What words should be allowed and what shouldn't?

Do you think after a certain time (maybe 10pm?) all words should be fair game?

Personally, I dislike swearing and nothing is more likely to make me turn off the TV than watching a programme or film where the scriptwriters have such a small vocabulary and poor command of language that they have to frequently resort to multiple variations of a well known four letter Anglo-Saxon word.

• Agree 1

I don't really notice it. I guess because it's so frequent now and I hear it a lot in most normal TV shows as well as on animes. I remember I used to think it was a big deal when I would hear certain words on Inuyasha when I still younger but now it just seems I hear it all the time that I don't take much notice. I don't think it should be on kids programs though lol ~

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Words like the F-bomb should, in my opinion, not be said in T.V but okay with that in movies that are rated for it and you know you are watching movie that has swear words in it. Daytime television I view as being the prime target to family and children or teens and so I don't think there should be a lot of swearing there. Later night television I feel as if is more for adults or older people who are watching so the restrictions of words shouldn't be so much.

I hear more swearing on television nowadays than I did as when I was younger. It could be just that now I watch shows or later television where it happens more. I am not someone who is so bothered by swearing to stop and think about it when I hear it in a television show or anime however. 

17 hours ago, Zayon said:

Words like the F-bomb should, in my opinion, not be said in T.V but okay with that in movies that are rated for it and you know you are watching movie that has swear words in it. Daytime television I view as being the prime target to family and children or teens and so I don't think there should be a lot of swearing there. Later night television I feel as if is more for adults or older people who are watching so the restrictions of words shouldn't be so much.

I hear more swearing on television nowadays than I did as when I was younger. It could be just that now I watch shows or later television where it happens more. I am not someone who is so bothered by swearing to stop and think about it when I hear it in a television show or anime however. 

bad words only exist in your head and only mean what you think they do. here's a great example:

Edited by Clayton

6 hours ago, Clayton said:

bad words only exist in your head and only mean what you think they do. here's a great example:

Yes while I do agree words are only sounds we have given a meaning to and we have determined what is consider a bad word there are some words that should not be said. Since society as a whole has deemed some words as bad it would not be good if you have a small child who is saying the F word in school this could result in trouble for the child and the parent. That is because people have decided they are a bad word so even if I decided the F word isn't bad and means something else the rest of the world will not accept this. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...