Digimon Frontier

Optic

This site was originally based on Digimon Frontier yet...we don't have any discussion topics for it yet?!

Lets start some discussion! :D

• How do you find Digimon Frontier compared to the other Digimon Series?
  • Your favourite Digidestined and why?
  • Your favourite Hybrid and why?
  • How did you find the ending?

My responses:

How do you find Digimon Frontier compared to the other Digimon Series?

Unique. It's the ONLY Digimon series where the Digidestined turn into Digimon themselves with the hybrids. And it's this reason I believe many people either love Digimon Frontier or hate it was a passion. Since then Savers and Xros Wars have superseded it but I think Frontier still holds its own ground with the hybrid concepts, though I wish the plot could have been better towards the end which I will explain later.

Your favourite Digidestined and why?

Koichi, he had the most intriguing past which of course linked him to his corrupted dark spirits and the issues he had tracking his twin brother Koji.

Your favourite Hybrid and why?

Zephyrmon and MagnaGarurumon! Zephyrmon for pure elegance and her sharp determined looks. Those blue eyes! (Though there was a couple scenes when I was taking screenshots where I noticed they were black, animator errors! .___. And MagnaGarurumon for his ridiculous amount of mecha style armaments. And he is light blue. :P

How did you find the ending?

I think most people would agree it felt rushed. You only had 50 episodes in Digimon Frontier whereas Digimon Adventure had 54! It would have been nice to have another episode that focused more in the real world once things were back to normal, I felt Frontier was missing this element which Adventure and Zero Two really did well. Sure we got a few quick stills of the Frontier Digidestined showing how they would improve their lives after succeeding but it would have been extra nice to have them to meet up again in the real world and discuss their adventure. Or maybe even find a way to communicate with the hybrids! Ugh, maybe Frontier needs a follow up or spin off series. xD

Come to think of it if they had shortened the Royal Knights arc by a little bit I'm almost certain they could have fitted another episode in to achieve this. ;)

How about you?

AHHHHH YAY Digimon Frontier thread, I've missed this show so much! I am gonna rewatch it soon and really write about it when I do :D

I love them as much as the other seasons, I really don't like picking favorites with seasons cos I really find something special about each of the season, and I LOVED Frontier really much, especially for the brother stoyline.

Favorite Digidestined is Koichi, I guess characters who went through some kind of dark past and then turned evil, then good really appeals to me, I don't know why, but he's just awesome.

Wow this is a really tough one, I LOVE THEM ALL!!! I'd probably choose Kazemon because she is sooo pretty.

Awesome, really nice and happy but one thing: THEY SHOULD HAVE STAYED at the digital world for a bit longer, I was sad that Bokmon and Neemon had to be parted with them, but the rest was really amazing, I was happy that they all reuinted at the end and became a very close group of friends. Best thing I could've asked for.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Interestingly it appears I didn't notice this post before, however, now that I have, I will post my two cents!

Not been that long since I last watched Frontier, but now, with this thread, I almost feel like I should rewatch it, for my opinions to do it justice! Interesting, I'll start by saying my favourite series is Tamers, and unlike a couple of people on here, I also quite liked Savers and Xros Wars (not 100% sure of Hunters)! I agree with sapphiresky, that each series brings a new enjoyable aspect to the table!

Spirit evolution was an interesting addition, would have liked it if they'd explored it a bit more, in the case of double spirit evolutions, I would have liked Izumi, Junpei, Tomoki and Koichi to have received the power of double spirit evolution, not just Takuya and Koiji - I'll expand on later!

The Digital World in Frontier was the most real, and I use this kinda in a negative sense, but stow the pitchforks for a moment, I did like how colourful it was, physical might be a better word than real, Xros Wars Digital World is also quite physical in appearance, however I feel the bizarre and digital elements of the Digital Worlds in other series call out to me more:

• Adventure - Various technological objects were scattered about, like telephone booths and telegraph poles, etc.;
  • Tamers - Digital sky and that dust data packets;
  • Savers - Digital streams and flowers!

Actually, Frontier's Digital World had some elements similar to Adventure's, such as the factory where Junpei's human spirit was, and the fact it assembled and disassembled items, I believe that was not too unlike a factory in Adventure!

If I think about it, all Digimon series seem to have the same structure:

1. Chosen children try to defeat a threat to that Digital World;
  2. Half way through the series they "accomplish" this only to discover a new bigger threat;
  3. They spend the remainder of the series defeating this new threat!

Even though they are re-using the same story frame, it doesn't mean this series, or any of the other series before or after this are unwatchable, a possible difference between this series and the others, is the handling of Cherubimon's "minions" (Ranamon, Mercurymon, Grumblemon, Arbormon and Duskmon), in other series they usually stay put whilst the chosen children "seek" them out, but in this series, you could say it's a mixture of the two!

There's even added elements:

• Ranamon, Mercurymon, Grumblemon and Arbormon are "incomplete" when you first encounter them, so not only are the chosen children on a path of evolution, but so are the "villains", as they're in search of their beast spirits;
  • Duskmon's troubled mind in regards to Koiji (trying to remember if Duskmon was "troubled" by Koiji before, or after encountering him)!

Another thing I like the backstory featuring HolyAngemon, Orphanimon and Cherubimon, actually thinking about it, this might be the first series in which there is a history of the Digital World, I mean we hear how Lucemon fell from grace and was defeated by the Ten Legendary Warriors, and of how the Trinity of Holy Digimon governed the world until Cherubimon was corrupted by Lucemon - that's another point in Frontier's favour!

Still getting back to HolyAngemon, Orphanimon and Cherubimon, I like the fact you have a "completely" Human Digimon (HolyAngemon), and "completely" Beast Digimon (Cherubimon) and a Digimon that could have been either (Orphanimon and MagnaDramon), or maybe both, if she can slide evolve!

Might be imagining it, but did Cherubimon have feelings for Orphanimon? If he did, it's interesting, because if she reciprocated those feelings, would she take the form of MagnaDramon? Also if she did, this would change the spirit balance, as Orphanimon and HolyAngemon orginally held five spirits in total, whilst Cherubimon held five on his own!

Izumi or Junpei, perhaps! Izumi with her multi-lingual quirk, and her development in the series, where she is able show off her real self, similarly with Junpei, before his journey into the Digital World, he is unable to make real friends!

Fairymon, perhaps! Could be partly based on the fact Izumi is one of my favourite chosen children, especially as we come back to multi-lingual quirk, but she is also a pretty playful character with her moves, favourite instance is where she tries to break Orphanimon's cage using Carino Anca, before sliding to Shutumon!

Content wise, I don't think I had a problem with the end, I quite liked the "Ten Warriors Finishing Move" at the end of the fight, however in regards to closing the book on Frontier, there are a could of things I'd still like to see, and some things that I might have done differently!

Like to have seen:

Going back to spirit evolution, would have liked it if they'd explored it a bit more, in the case of double spirit evolutions, I would have liked Izumi, Junpei, Tomoki and Koichi to have received the power of double spirit evolution, not just Takuya and Koiji!

I am aware that this is a common occurence, not just in Digimon, but other series as well, that the main protagonists usually receive more power than anyone else, so another Frontier movie, one set after the series would be nice, although only if we can get to see more double spirit evolutions, such as JetSilphymon!

Question is what scenario could they make that would require such an event, maybe Takuya and Koiji are held hostage (without their digivices), however their captors are too powerful for single spirit evolution?

Another idea is whether there could be alternate forms of Susanoomon, depending on who are serving as the basis for the "Anicent Spirit Evolution", rather than Takuya and Kouji, could we have a Izumi and Junpei variation, Susanoomon: Storm Mode?

I'm sure I mentioned it on a thread here, possibly one I created, but can't find it, I also can't edit old posts, which is strange! Not sure if "Storm Mode" is the name I originally used, because I think I considered a Izumi and Tomoki variation, or Junpei and Tomoki variation, either of which could possibly also be a "Storm Mode"!

Might have done differently:

Towards the end of the series we were introduced to another group of children in the Digital World, Katsuharu, Teppei, Chiaki and Teruo, two of whom pushed Tomoki onto a train to the Digital World!

When these characters were introduced, I thought that the "extra" spirits that the main chosen children had collected, would transfer to the other children's phones, transforming them into digivices, and thus the team's numbers would increase!

As we know this wasn't the case, I don't know if it would have been better or worse for it, but it was just a thought I had!

Another thought I had was whether the forms of Ranamon, Mercurymon, Arbormon and Grumblemon that featured in the series were "incomplete" manfestations, or childforms similar to Takuya as Flamemon, but looking at Digimon wikia, evidently that's not the case!

Personally I feel that Agnimon, Wolfmon, Fairymon, Blitzmon and Lowemon look quite different to Ranamon, Mercurymon, Arbormon and Grumblemon, hence my original thought, Chakkmon closer resembled the latter Digimon, to the former!

I wondered that if the Spirits used, were swapped around, would the Digimon be different, would Fairymon take on a different appearance if she had "manefested" rather than being used by Izumi, and vice versa, would Ranamon's appearance be different if the Human Spirit of Water was used by a chosen child, rather than "manefesting"?

Noticed we don't have a thread for Tamers or Savers, with you creating a thread for Frontier, because there wasn't one, I'm now tempted to create threads for Savers and Tamers :D!

Hmm, haven't thought of this show in years. Anyway, for Digimon Frontier, I only saw it in Japanese, and I didn't care for it too much, mainly because it turned into the Takuya and Kouji show. It was annoying for me, since the other characters were majorly shafted. IMO, Kouichi should've gotten way more story on his character, especially given his background. I really liked his character. IMO, to make the story really "twisted",

the writers should've killed him out.

My other gripe with Digimon Frontier, was the fact that they were trying to get too many evolutions into the series, and giving them all (most) to Kouji and Takuya.

I did like the spirit evolutions though. Oh and my favorite characters were Tomoki and Kouichi.

Edited by Guest

Seems I stand corrected on a couple of points, one being that not all Digimon series follow the same format (just similar), as re-watching Adventure has reminded me that I'd forgotten most of what happened after episode 39, pretty much thinking that that's where it "ended", so its possible that the same could be true for other series!

The other point is also on Adventure in that to some extent Devimon and Etemon do pursue the chosen children, but I don't think to as much of an extreme as Cherubimon's "minions"!

• 7 months later...

My most favorite season. The Yin-Yang Twins arc is the best arc of all Digimon seasons for me.

Junpei, because he is the most relatable.

Duskmon, because he can fight on par with BeoWulfmon despite the latter is two levels higher than him.

The best ending fight! We can really see our heroes' struggle! Usually when there is a new evolution in the ending fight, it will be a Deus ex Machina and the enemy won't get a chance to land a single hit who can hurt our heroes (yes, I am looking at you, Agumon Burst Mode and especially Shoutmon X7 Superior Mode!), but here, Susanoomon still has a lot of difficulties.

• Geano locked this topic