Your Name (Kimi no Na wa)

FSL29

kimi-no-na-wa..jpg.87f3290151235aeeb04831eb7d73b6ca.jpg

"I am searching for you, whom I have never met yet."

It's been a long time actually since I last created a thread. But oh well.

So have any of you seen the preview of "Kimi no Na wa"?

If you haven't here it is

(If the video below doesnt work here is the link

)

[MEDIA=googledrive]0B-Chjo0gX-nfdUowMU5DTkl1cUk[/MEDIA]

[spoiler=Translation to the preview]Girl: Morning. When I wake up, for some reason I'm crying. That kind of thing happens sometimes.

Text: Animation Director: Masashi Ando (Spirited Away, When Marnie Was There) / Character Design: Masayoshi Tanaka (anohana, The Anthem of the Heart)

Boy: I never remember the dreams I should have had. But I've always been searching for someone and something.

Girl: I became obsessed with that feeling probably starting on that day.

Text: Scriptwriter, Director: Makoto Shinkai (5 Centimeters Per Second, The Garden of Words)

Boy: That day. The day the stars fell, it was like...

Text: Their promises can never meet.

Text on notebook: Who are you?

Girl: It was like...

Text on hand: Mitsuha

Girl: It was like scenery from a dream, it was just...

Girl and Boy: ... a beautiful scene

Text: I am searching for you, whom I have never met yet.

So, judging from that preview if you have already watched anime titles like Garden of Words or 5 Centimeters/Second or Voice of a Distant Star, you can see a lot of similarities. Yes, they're made by the same director that is Makoto Shinkai.

The movie itself will be released on August 2016.

"Shinkai is also writing the script for the film. Masashi Ando (Spirited Away, When Marnie Was There, Paprika) is serving as the animation director and Masayoshi Tanaka (anohana, The Anthem of the Heart, Toradora!) is designing the characters. CoMix Wave Inc. is animating the film.

The film will star Ryunosuke Kamiki (Summer Wars' Kenji, Howl's Moving Castle's Markl, The Princess and the Pilot's Charles Karino) as Taki Tachibana and actress Mone Kamishiraishi (live-action Chihayafuru: Kami no Ku's Kanade Ōe) as Mitsuha Miyamizu." -Anime News Network.

[spoiler=Synopsis]The "story of miracles and love" revolves around Mitsuha and Taki. Mitsuha is a female high school student who lives in a rural town nestled deep in the mountains. Her father is the mayor and isn't at home much, and she lives with her elementary school-aged little sister and her grandmother. Mitsuha has an honest personality, but she doesn't like the customs of her family's Shinto shrine, nor does she like her father participating in an election campaign. She laments that she lives in a confined rural town, and yearns for the wonderful lifestyle of living in Tokyo. Taki is a male high school student who lives in central Tokyo. He spends time with his friends, works part-time at an Italian restaurant, and is interested in architecture and fine arts. One day, Mitsuha has a dream where she is a young man. Taki also has a dream where he is a female high school student in a town in the mountains that he has never been to. What is the secret to their dreams of personal experience?

So are you interested to watch this? It's going to be good I can tell you that :P.

Edited by Guest

I saw that yesterday and my first thought was: Onii-san will efinately watch it xD Seems interesting enough so I'll give it a shot, too :P

Hahaha, for some reason, I really like anime that 'portray' distance between two main characters xD.

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...

Official English subtitle trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7esdtA3Ue8

This movie has been screening here in cinemas in Japanese w/ English subtitles. I saw this movie in the cinema on Tuesday - thanks HOYTS for cheap $13 Tuesday tickets. :angel: HOWEVER, DAMN YOU for gouging me $20.80 for a medium popcorn combo at the Candy Bar. @Wodahs knows what I mean. @_@;)

I was at first going to wait until this came out on Bluray but after seeing all the hype and acclaimed success in cinemas from around the world, it really piqued my curiosity. This article in particular: Why the story of body-swapping teenagers has gripped Japan - BBC News really piqued my curiosity.

The crux of the story comes down to two teenagers with two very different areas and backgrounds body swapping against their will at random times:

• Mitsuha Miyamizu: a country side high school student that yearns for life in Tokyo, as a boy
  • Taki Tachibana: a busy Tokyo high school student with a part-time job

kimi-no-na-wa-04.thumb.jpg.7637639f6d9b4634cd4cf1b0ae886a16.jpg

The body swapping is humorous as they both become accustomed to each of their bodies and lifestyles in embarrassing ways at first. Within each cycle they get used to their respective friendship circles and family relationships, and this leads to Mitsuha and Taki communicating with each other in creative ways at the end of each body swapping cycle.

This naturally leads them to find each other and there is a twist though that leads to the climax of the film which would spoil it for those that haven't seen it. I can say for sure though that there were many moments throughout the film that reminded me of the mixed feelings and heart-tugging moments I experienced from Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and Steins;Gate.

kimi-no-na-wa-06.thumb.jpg.3670a3a957cadeba7a73a09b357dc996.jpg

Visually, Your Name (Kimi no na wa) is surreal - just take a peek at the trailer above. All the motion is hand drawn, not that awkward CG you see in many newer titles and it's just so evident during the time lapses of Tokyo and the country side. The night scenes of the comet are absolutely mesmerising on the big screen.

Overall I REALLY ENJOYED this movie and would highly recommend you seeing it as soon as you can! 10/10 from me!

How did everyone else find this movie?

• Like 2

Kimi no na wa is about the only movie that will ever make it on my top favourites list, I think. I'm not much into movie length features. I feel like most of the time, most do not live up to the experiences some of the series get to give you. For one, you get to stay and watch the characters grow for a longer period of time with series shows when compared to movie features that would only last for two hours at most.

But this..? For a two hour run time, Kimi no na wa was a magical experience in more ways than one. That's all I gonna say. Emotions were riding high. Tension was high. Tears of all kind were shed.

And! Most importantly, the sense of relief I got when the ending happens. I have never felt more relieved and carefree after seeing that.

10/10 from me!

Agreed! Solid 10/10 from me too.

• Like 2

We just group streamed this - @Davis @Cirkadian and I

All three of us give this a solid 10/10.

I was unsure in the beginning of how I was going to like this movie. But I ended up falling in love with it.

The story line is really good and artwork is beautiful. <3

It was also a movie that left me guessing, and I really like it when I can't entirely guess what's going to happen... It was beautiful.

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 1

We just group streamed this - @Davis @Cirkadian and I

All three of us give this a solid 10/10.

I was unsure in the beginning of how I was going to like this movie. But I ended up falling in love with it.

The story line is really good and artwork is beautiful. <3

It was also a movie that left me guessing, and I really like it when I can't entirely guess what's going to happen... It was beautiful.

Yes this movie is definitely worth a watch if you have never seen it, you do have to think a little about whats happening and how it all ties together.

I also like how the movie plays with your emotions a lot more during the end.

The opening was freaking amazing along with the art work.

definitely a must watch ^_^

• Agree 2

Yes this movie is definitely worth a watch if you have never seen it, you do have to think a little about whats happening and how it all ties together.

I also like how the movie plays with your emotions a lot more during the end.

The opening was freaking amazing along with the art work.

definitely a must watch ^_^

Yes... Near the end I was an emotional wreck. hahaha.. I was so unsure of what was going to happen that I did not know how to process my emotions properly. xD

I really really love this. Kai mentioned to me that it was by the same artist that does 5cm per second. Which makes sense because that is one of my favorite animated films of all time. So it makes sense that I was drawn to it haha. Artwork and storyline and everything.

https://myanimelist.net/people/1117/Shinkai_Makoto

And! Most importantly, the sense of relief I got when the ending happens. I have never felt more relieved and carefree after seeing that.

Certainly I am sure everyone here was worried that...

... Misuha and Taki would have forgotten each other or kept looking for each other forever.

... Misuha and Taki would have forgotten each other or kept looking for each other forever.

:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

I was honestly scared of that. This is why near the end I kept literally almost bawling my eyes out. It appeared that they were not going to run into each other or meet. Even though I loved that it did not give anything away the whole film, I was a complete mess despite that. So when they walked past each other in that last scene, I was literally yelling "TURN AROUND. TALK TO EACH OTHER. NOOOOOOOOOO" :largegasp::largegasp::largegasp::largegasp:

To be honest, I was fully expecting something like that to happen. It's a Shinkai film. I was expecting a bittersweet ending. So, it was such a pleasant surprise for me when Taki turned around and called out to Mitsuha. I'm an big sucker for happy endings. I'm not gonna lie, the staircase scene by the end had up on my feet and grinning through the tears. It was so good. xD

Yes... Near the end I was an emotional wreck. hahaha.. I was so unsure of what was going to happen that I did not know how to process my emotions properly. xD

I really really love this. Kai mentioned to me that it was by the same artist that does 5cm per second. Which makes sense because that is one of my favorite animated films of all time. So it makes sense that I was drawn to it haha. Artwork and storyline and everything.

https://myanimelist.net/people/1117/Shinkai_Makoto

haha yeah you and me both have recently watched a few series that have played with our emotions a little haha

it was going all good and then it just strikes you to the heart xP

• 2 weeks later...
haha yeah you and me both have recently watched a few series that have played with our emotions a little haha

it was going all good and then it just strikes you to the heart xP

haha yeah for sure, ik exactly what you mean xP

To be honest, I was fully expecting something like that to happen. It's a Shinkai film. I was expecting a bittersweet ending. So, it was such a pleasant surprise for me when Taki turned around and called out to Mitsuha. I'm an big sucker for happy endings. I'm not gonna lie, the staircase scene by the end had up on my feet and grinning through the tears. It was so good. xD

totally agree with these comments on its flow and end

and after watching Erased I found it to be of a simular composition to this even tho the story line is of a totally different nature , but it still managed to pull the same emotions thru the same ways out of me / thus I tend to like anime's like these when they can do that to me.

not that these are the only type of anime's I like to watch

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I get to be the odd man out here and say that I find the film to be unwatchable for my tastes. For one, I don't like the body swap story line, I've yet to see anything, be it anime or otherwise that does that in a way I can enjoy, and from the beginning, there were signs of similar issues that bothered me popping up. I also don't like embarrassing scenes like the ones at the start in any form of medium, and tend to skip moments like that as much as I can, even if I miss some of the narrative and overall story because of it. Those kinds of scenes have bothered me since before I could even understand what the difference between anime and an American cartoon were, and I don't really know why, but I can never, have never, and will never enjoy them. Those two things would make the film unwatchable for me, but I can't deny that the animation is some of the best I have ever seen, and that those who worked on the film overall really found a way to mesh everything that they are good at into one amazing film. The music is also spot on throughout, even the parts I skipped, and the ending was great, and not what I expected from a film made by Makoto Shinkai-san, but honestly I think I would have preferred just a happier version of 5 Centimeters per second, which this film with those embarrassing moments is not. Had those moments been taken out, and these two simply met by chance, the ending could have played out nearly the same, giving the same satisfaction and been a film I could have enjoyed fullheartedly, and I would have happily called it the best non Ghibli film in anime that I've ever seen. As it is though, I can never watch it again despite it's brilliance because of my distaste of body swapping in story lines and my inability to enjoy, or even watch anything embarrassing like that. I do want to see all these creators work together again on a film that doesn't do anything that takes away the enjoyment I feel, because they have the potential to be the most amazing movie studio out there as long as Ghibli isn't doing things their own way and relying on places like Amazon to make new films.

• Geano locked this topic