SimCity (2013)

Optic

EA sent me a closed beta key and I had a chance to give it a whirl. Unlike other closed betas only a small portion of the game is available, one preset map/region and the Getting Started tutorial.

A quick list of features encountered during my playthroughs:

• Budget time takes effect though in-game hours instead of in-game months
  • Zoning is free but roads as you'd expect are very expensive to balance this. It builds upon SimCity's 4 road options with medium/high density streets and avenues. Mass transit was locked except shuttle bus depots.
  • Service buildings (Power, Police, Fire, Clinics, etc.) can be upgraded via several modules. For example a clinic comes with one Ambulance bay, you can add another one for 10,000 and naturally this comes with an added hourly expense.
  • Music soundtrack is AWESOME and matches dynamically with the pace of the game. For example slightly faster tempo on high game speed, different more upbeat tracks as your population rises, etc.
  • Neighbour deals appear to be similar to SimCity 4, though I wonder how this will be implemented through Multiplayer across different cities/regions.
  • You can follow service vehicles around with a Follow button (similar to Rush Hour though you can't drive them on missions).
  • Each Sim you can click on to see their thoughts. The amount of detail is amazing, you can even witness crimes in progress such as a shootout and watching the Police response (or seeing the criminals get away if your Police response is too slow, likewise with fires). Same with Ambulances, hearing a patient beingdefibrillatedevery now and then when you zoom in towards a parked Ambulance with flashing lights adds to the... atmosphere.
  • Sewage you now have to keep track of and dispose/treat.
  • Addictive as usual!

I really am looking forward to this when it comes out in March. :D Definite buy during the first week when it comes out for me.

Any other SimCity fans here?