Unexpectedly good anime

FSL29

Well as the title says, is there any anime that you thought at first "Meh.. guess I will just watch this to pass time." or "Not really interesting but oh well." then ended up liking them after watching the series? Basically anime that you thought wouldn't be as good as it turned out to be.

I do have, let's say 3 of them.

Working!! Series : When I look at the title, and the synopsis, I thought that "Well, it's a good for a time-passer while searching for a good anime." But after I finished the series, including the recently released movie/ova, it was brilliant, one of the top shows in my list if I ever have one. The pacing is really slow, it took 3 seasons just to get stuff going but it's worth it, calling it a masterpiece wouldn't be a long stretch.

Oregairu Series : Okay, my first impression on this was "Oh, a guy in one club with 2 most beautiful girls in the school. Sure, just another anime to add to my list(if I ever have one)." But oh boy, how wrong was I back then, it turned out to be a great series, with an mc that keeps spouting wise word and not-generic heroines. What more do you want? It's perfect.

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate : So, I actually already said before that this is an underrated shows and that's the truth. People tend to overlook this show because of the possibly another generic harem. I mean really? A guy in one club with 6 girls, this is the type of setting that is destined to be one. But well, tbh, I actually also think that way after watching the 1st episode, but watching it bit by bit, it was my first thought instead that was destined to be wrong. It was great, can't describe it any better, the setting was good, no boring characters, the plot was brilliant, if just the ending went the way I wanted it to be, I would definitely give it a 5/7. No doubt.

Sorry for the 'If I ever have one' joke, it's a bit of an inside joke between me and myself. Yeah it's pretty sad.

Edited by Guest

Hmmm let's see....

Ao Haru Ride/Ore Monogatari: Although I do watch quite a lot of shojo anime, I rarely expect them to be anything worth mentioning after I'm done with them, unless they include some sort of fantasy element (like Kamisama Hajimemashita for example). Unlike Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, which I just knew it would be good from the start, I watched these two only to pass the time. They did, howerver, exceed my expectations by far, especially Ore Monogatari...... I guess I should explain in detail :P

AHR seem like the usual clishe school romance at first, where the girl starts high school and wants to make friends and blah blah blah... That plot is so overused that, if I had a dollar every time I stumbled upon such an anime/manga, I'd be rich. The thing with AHR is that it has characters that can support this plot without being stupid or annoying. On top of that, the drama is real... It's not some sort of silly misunderstanding that causes s*it to happen (obviously something you couldn't do... *glares at Kimi ni Todoke* )

On the other hand, OM is more of a comedy. And when I say comedy, I mean the kind that makes your ribs ache from laughing too much. It is rather unconventional as well, because the one that gets the girl is not your typical good-looking, I'm-sexy-and-I-know-it guy (nothing wrong with those :3 but a change is good). I also really enjoyed the characters. Everyone was lovable. And what a great voice acting of Takeo!!! Takuya Eguchi (his voice actor) deserves so many cookies!!!!

Kuroko no Basket: I started watching that one just because it was popular and infested with hotties :3 (SHAME ON ME, I KNOW!!!). Considering that I'm not the biggest fan of sports, I wasn't prepared for this masterpiece of an anime!!! Kudos to the creator for taking basketball to a whole new level!!! The games had me on edge, the characters were great and there was a good deal of comedy as well ^_^

• Like 1

hmm...

Spice and wolf

i started the series with the "okay, i bet this is gonna be one of those which by the half time i`m gonna drop" impression. well i couldn`t be more wrong. i loved the whole thing, especially their conversation methods.

and true tears

judging by the first episodes i was sure this is not gonna be to my liking, but i dig the ending. it ALMOST had me reaching for tissues.:blush:

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Nobunaga Concerto: Due to the art style, I prejudged this before I watched it, but it really turned out to be amazing. Not only was the comedy really great, but it also helped that since it wasn't a harem anime, they actually decided to develop the characters in a unique way that other Nobunaga styled anime haven't done.

Fate/Zero: Being as I tried to watch the first episode before Fate/Stay Night a while ago, and kinda just got bored of it, I wasn't expecting too much. However, after watching the original Fate/Stay Night, everything made much more since when I got around to Zero, and I thoroughly enjoyed this title.

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou: Like Fate/Zero, this is another title I tried to watch a while ago, but with this one, the fanservice kinda turned me off originally. After going back to it a while later, I kinda learned that they turned down the fanservice after episode 4, so it was much more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

Your Lie in April: I originally watched this when it first aired, so I really didn't know what I was getting into, but it ended up being one of my favorite shows in the process. Now that I'm writing this, I kinda want to rewatch this one now.

• Like 1

hmm...

Spice and wolf

i started the series with the "okay, i bet this is gonna be one of those which by the half time i`m gonna drop" impression. well i couldn`t be more wrong. i loved the whole thing, especially their conversation methods.

I really love that one...I'm surprised you thought you'd drop it tho.... how can anyone even think of dropping an anime with an adorable wolf girl? :3 Holo ftw!!!

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou: Like Fate/Zero, this is another title I tried to watch a while ago, but with this one, the fanservice kinda turned me off originally. After going back to it a while later, I kinda learned that they turned down the fanservice after episode 4, so it was much more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

I thought of including that, too but I forgot later.... Although I don't mind fanservice, I did think of it as a mediocre passtime at first but ended up liking it quite a lot. I especially liked the last few episodes

• Like 1

Recently I saw part of this anime in an amv. The shortened name is Watamote it does have a full name but that would give this thread over 100 pages xD:P. The reason I love this show is the fact that the main character is a high school girl who has no friends and is trying to get out of her funk. She is a hectic otaku in almost anything not considered "hip" thus i found it very relate-able. It also has the best OP I have ever, EVER seen in an anime and the ED is rather comical.

Not everyone will enjoy this but I found it rather entertaining.

• Geano locked this topic