Do you preorder video games?

Columbus

Do you pre-order any video games? If so, which ones have you pre-ordered? How often do you normally pre-order a video game?

Myself. No, not really. I have in the past. But there are so many games out now, that it is just better to wait until a store has a copy available for purchase. I find most of my games at Game Stop or Game Stash.

I don't play many games, so yeah, I have. I usually preorder stuff if there's an incentive to, like the upcoming Twilight Princess HD rerelease for the Wii U. I don't own a Wii U, but I want the junk being released with the game. ^^

• Like 1

Hmmmm... for the most part, no. I'm a tad thrifty and it is not often you will see me spending more than $30 on a game; I wait for them to drop in price or go on sale before making my move. That said, there are a few games I've been very excited for that I opt to preorder on, such as Grand Theft Auto 5 and Far Cry 3 and 4.

Edited by Guest

I usually pre-order games that interest me a lot. I've always pre-ordered Ubisoft games though especially Assassin Creed games I've always pre-ordered them and I've always loved them. Unlike a lot of people though I didn't like Black Flag I actually liked Unity more I felt Unity was more like an AC game the boats ruined it for me there was to much time in a boat then on land jumping between roof tops. But yes I do pre-order games if I like the look of them.

I haven't pre-ordered a single game...mainly because I follow the advice of "if there's even the slightest doubt, don't pre-order."

Oh sure, the exclusive skin might be neat, but if it doesn't affect gameplay in any meaningful way, I can afford to lose it.

I don't always preorder games as i prefer to let my friends be the guinea pigs due to me being an online gamer and communities for games die so quickly.

However when i do preorder a game it is usually because it comes with some sort of incentive that is actually worth it, like free DLCs. The last game i preordered was Battlefront, but cancelled last minute.

I pre-order quite often actually but usually only for the goodies because you're basically going to get a copy unless YOU'RE NINTENDO AND DON'T LIKE MONEY BECAUSE YOU WON'T RESTOCK FIRE EMBLEM FATES SPECIAL EDITION. /rant

I only pre-order video games if there's a chance it's going to be sold out physically on the day I go to the store. I usually base the need of a pre-order on popularity and if it is one of my top 3 games for the year. I mostly pre-order 2-3 games a year and the rest of the games I want I either do one of three things; purchase at a later date, hope for the best on day one, or if i know it won't be sold out I just go to the store in day one whenever.

But the games I've preordered are almost every Pokémon title since 2011. The only preorder I have currently for 2016 is both version of Fire Emblem Fates. Sadly, EB Games wouldn't allow me to pre-order the special edition:'(

I'll usually only pre-order a game if it's something I'm really excited for, or if it's something I know I wouldn't be able to find if I waited to go get it later. I currently have both Twilight Princess HD for Wii U and Uncharted 4 for PS4 on pre-order, both of which I'm extremely excited for.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, I pre-order on occasion, usually to get limited edition goodies:

• Bayonetta (x2) - Scarborough Fair (one version) and Climax Edition (other version);
  • BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger - Limited Edition;
  • BlazBlue: Continuum Shift - Limited Edition (and free Makoto DLC code);
  • XBlaze - Code Embryo - Limited Edition;
  • Dead or Alive 5 - Limited Edition;
  • Final Fantasy XIII - Limited Edition;
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Limited Edition;
  • Lightning Returns - Steelbook Edition;
  • Samurai Warriors 4 - Limited Edition;
  • Hyrule Warriors - No Limited Edition (I think);

• Bravely Default: Flying Fairy - Limited Edition;
  • Project Mirai DX - Limited Edition;
  • Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Limited Edition;
  • Pokémon X - B2W2 Comic, but I never got the comic :(;
  • Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby - Steelbook Edition (AS) and Torchic Keyring (OR)!

That's what I can think of at the moment, although I do also have some pre-order versions that I bought after the game was out, like Guilty Gear XRD with Elphelt DLC code (though missed deadline), Drakengard 3, Criminal Girls, Corpse Party, Arcana Heart 3, and Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword!

Edited by Guest

I hardly ever do unless it's part of a series I love... mainly Tomb Raider xD That being said I pre-ordered Overwatch so... To be fair I really enjoyed what I played of the Beta

Edited by Guest

I don't preorder very often, really. Notable recent games I preordered were Fallout 4 (was disappointed by it), Sword Art Online: Lost Song (loved it), Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (loved it), Gundam Breaker 3 (loved it), and Valkyria Chronicles Remaster (loved it).

So basically I only preorder if it's a franchise I know I've enjoyed in the past.

• 2 months later...

I pre-ordered Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 recently. Dragon Ball Xenoverse and Saints Row IV: Re-Elected were the last two games I pre-ordered. I only pre-order video games that either have a pre-order bonus I want or I know I will really want. I'm glad I didn't pre-order Mighty No. 9, nor Dragon Fin Soup as they ended up being a disappointment.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never pre-ordered anything before. I've never had a need or interest in doing it, though. I usually don't get games that have been just released, I wait so long. I also don't buy games that often anyway

• 2 weeks later...
I mainly pre order all the anime games that come with bonus/limited edition content since I'm a sucker for it xD

Ha, same here. My wallet just can't say no to those shiny limited editions. :D

Right now I only have two games pre-ordered - The Last Guardian Collector's Edition and Akiba's Beat.

The push at so many game stores to preorder games that are likely to be broken at launch has made me disgusted with the industry quite a bit. I rarely pre-order unless I know a lot about the game. For example, if it's a remaster of a game I know and love, then it's likely I have nothing to worry about. But I still have been burned one too many times. Releasing a broken game, and then releasing five patches that total over 20 GB that barely fix the game is just shady, unethical, and unacceptable. Vote with your wallet!

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah, pretty much the same sentiment as OnlyASimpleDream. It's disgusting. I bought Digimon Cyber Sleuth, but found out that a number of Digimon were not available to me because I didn't pre-order... no, not "didn't", but "couldn't". The pre-order period was back in February, way before I bought the game last August. The truly damning factor about this was that the pre-order Digimon were more powerful, so if you didn't pre-order, the difficulty of the game is increased by a large margin. That's absolutely cheap and disgusting.

If it's the case with other games that don't utilize such disgusting techniques, I probably wouldn't pre-order either unless I like the game franchise a lot. There's just no value in paying money for something I don't know would be quality or not. It's a gamble, and I don't like gambling with my money.