Education 2016 (A Guide To Life)

Modyrts

Are you currently studying (at any level)  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Are you currently studying (at any level)

• Yes
    • No
    • If you can call it that.

As the title says, this thread is for the students of this year albeit scholars or those furthering their studies at tertiary level. With schools and university and such reopening soon and after a long, and for some, relaxing festive season we must prepare ourselves. A wise man once said "You must eat an elephant one bite at a time" but I believe that sharing that meal makes it a lot easier to finish. Here you can post tips you have found effective, study guides, stress relief tactics and such and ultimately help one another.

To those who are studying this year I wish you a good year and some sound results.

I am no extraordinary student and I have no talent towards any specific subject whatsoever.The subjects I study are: English, Afrikaans (one of the languages almost completely non-existent out of my country), Mathematics (All sub-categories), Physical Sciences (Chemistry Included), Accounting and Business Studies. As i have said I am not a great student when it comes to scores but I have found some noteworthy things that should be mentioned.

• With learning centers about to open, the stress is building up and tensions are high. Remember, you wont immediately be thrown into battle. You will have time to get back into the swing of things.
  • Lectures often are not effective and more a waste of time then anything but nonetheless you should listen as much as yo can and 50% of your work is done.
  • Should your lectures really be as bad as I mentioned or even if not, it is always best to try and teach yourself the work, even if you know it already. Take time, need not be every day, to brush up on your work afterwards.
  • DO YOUR HOMEWORK/ASSIGNMENTS. As tedious as it sounds, work learnt at school does not always stick and only homework can ensure it does. If not at least it shows you what you should focus on.
  • Do past-papers, tests which were written during previous years at your current standard. This will help you understand what is expected of you and highlights what you should focus on.
  • Don't look at school or work in general as, well work. Be positive and think of it as an opportunity.
  • There is no such thing as over-studying but there is such a thing as being overworked. Study as much as you can but be sure to take breaks as being tired can cause you to learn in an incorrect way and may ultimately lead to your demise. That being said, start your studying as far in advance as you can. No matter what you think, last minute cramming does not help.
  • I can say more points but I am not used to typing so much so my arms are sore. This brings me to m final point. Relax. By that I do not only mean be calm, I mean literally relax. Go out for a drink or two (just not before you leave for campus) indulge in some social time with friends and family or just go out for a walk and breath in some, hopefully, fresh air.

I wish you guys good luck and happy hunting.

That being said, start your studying as far in advance as you can. No matter what you think, last minute cramming does not help..

That's basically how I spent all my years in school: Studying at the last minute ._. Meh, I was never interested in school anyway. Still, although I don't have to study anymore...like textbooks and such, since I want to get into an art university, classes are kinda tough for me, too. Drawing is much harder than I thought it would be, and with out demon-teacher you need nerves of steel to survive in there. However, I do plan on surviving and I will do my best. It's the first time in my life I feel seriously motivated for something (and that's really important :P )

It's the first time in my life I feel seriously motivated for something (and that's really important :P )

2m7htsi.jpg.746bc6f1698e4ca8133856f301ca9e40.jpg

i, too, didn`t enjoyed school that much and my only life jacket was the very subject i liked.

unless i was motivated with something other than grade, my study procedure would definitely have been last minute cramming. it really is a pain to study something you don`t like, or i don`t know. maybe i`m saying that cause i know how much fun it can be studying something you really like

but god thanks i survived, cause right now i`m studying something i like, though time to time there are some subdivisions that might somehow poke my deja vu feelings but thankfully they`re less painful.

all aside, as an otaku-to-be, i would be reeeaaaally motivated to study japanese language for real (or as they would say chou motivated). i will definitly do it if i got the chance in the future

• Like 1

• With learning centers about to open, the stress is building up and tensions are high. Remember, you wont immediately be thrown into battle. You will have time to get back into the swing of things.

I'm a math major......we get thrown into battle on day 1 :P We skim over the syllabus and then dive head first into the first lesson....and Calculus IV and Differential Equations are no picnic.

Lectures often are not effective and more a waste of time then anything but nonetheless you should listen as much as yo can and 50% of your work is done.

I love my lectures and I learn so much from them.

• Should your lectures really be as bad as I mentioned or even if not, it is always best to try and teach yourself the work, even if you know it already. Take time, need not be every day, to brush up on your work afterwards.

Not even an option....

• DO YOUR HOMEWORK/ASSIGNMENTS. As tedious as it sounds, work learnt at school does not always stick and only homework can ensure it does. If not at least it shows you what you should focus on.
  • Do past-papers, tests which were written during previous years at your current standard. This will help you understand what is expected of you and highlights what you should focus on.

I couldn't agree more with these two points. Homework and working previous tests are highly effective.