External Hard-Disk-Drive

Modyrts

Just for interest sake, where do you store your stuff? Personally I store all of my media: anime, games, movies, music and such, on my HDD and my important files on my PC itself.

That aside, my current HDD is almost full with goodies and I am in the market for a new one but as most people find themselves, I am boggeled by the sheer number of available products on Ecommerce. I am not that great when it comes to technology and I am not sure what to buy so I would like to hear what you guys have and what I should look out for.

Thank-youu

i`m using western digital product (WD) usb 3.0 for over a year and i have been living happily ever after with it and no problem so far

but recently some of my friends mentioned that Buffalo is on the fast lane now days, so i`m not sure

but still these are popular products in my country

also when i wanted to buy an external HDD a friend of mine (a gadget maniac :meh:) told some important perks which i`ve written them down, so no matter what kind you wanna buy, be aware of them: (the numbers mentioned are for two years ago so...)

1. External HDDs have two way of connecting. one through firewire (which is the fastest) and another through usb. well now days almost all computers only have usb ports, so firewire is out of the question

2. if you wanna something with fast processing, look out for these three factors:

seek time : is usually around 10 millisecond, but faster ones have it less than 10

buffer size : at least 4 MB, the more the merrier

RMP (Round Per Minute) : mostly 5400 but 7400 is better

3. check google before buying it as a failsafe.

the numbers should be written on the box, so be aware of them

Just for interest sake, where do you store your stuff? Personally I store all of my media: anime, games, movies, music and such, on my HDD and my important files on my PC itself.

All the anime stuff is on the NAS so all our networked devices can access it, and everything else is assorted across my internal HDDs and external HDDs.

I am not that great when it comes to technology and I am not sure what to buy so I would like to hear what you guys have and what I should look out for.

I would recommend Western Digital, very robust and reliable in my experience. I've always purchased their internal HDDs when I built my desktops, I'm using their red series in my NAS and their external My Passport series are great too.

Check this one out.

WD My Passport 2TB Portable External USB 3.0 - $92.50 USD on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Portable-External-Storage-WDBY8L0020BBK-NESN/dp/B005HMKKH4

:red: