Post Anime Blues

Modyrts

We all experience it one-or-another time in our lives. Finishing a series that you found so good or rather enjoyed so much, you feel as if life is no longer worth living afterwards. Personally I have not experienced this in almost a year or two which was about the time I started watching anime. For the first time in ages i have experienced this again today after completing Kuroko no Basket Season 3. It was nothing tear jerking (imo) however it deserves every positive rating and every star behind its name.

Some of you may not have experienced post anime depression. Some may be thinking: "What does that even mean, Post Anime Depression?" To me, besides the obvious, you experience a feeling of loss of purpose and lack of motivation to do anything after watching. It feels like everything you do in life is pointless as your life shall never amount to that of the characters you watch living their extravagant lives.

After doing some research I found that this is one of the reasons so called "Experts" say that watching anime, or TV in general, or playing Video Games and such is bad for our livelihoods and mental well being. This seems logical but there are ways to counteract this feeling just as with normal depression. Have a change of pace, get out of the house and go do something with friends or family. Avoid anime or electronics in general as it hinders your Dopamine levels due to you receiving a high, possibly overdose, from watching a good show. For others, starting a new series may even work but often enough the quality of that series will not seem as good.

The bottom line is that you can not let said depression get to you or it will effect your daily life as you will constantly have negative thought patterns.

I do not claim to be an expert on what I previously mentioned and if I am incorrect, feel free to let me know in the comments.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Personally I have not experienced this in almost a year or two which was about the time I started watching anime

Yeah, I know what you mean.

These type of things happen because the more you watch, the more critical you become.

After you realize all the tropes anime tend to use, they start feeling stagnant and lame.

Completely reasonable to become more critical to find enjoyment from an otherwise boring mess.

In exchange you lose the enjoyment and innocent you would get if you were new.

I find myself barely enjoying anime due to this. I honestly haven't picked up an anime series in weeks. Just been watching western cartoons, because it's more enjoyable then anything anime have produced in months.

Despite that, probably find myself hating western cartoons in due time.

• Agree 1

Y

I find myself barely enjoying anime due to this. I honestly haven't picked up an anime series in weeks.

This happens to me often but nowadays I really only watch on weekends. I have found that the more I want to watch the more it is pointless too.

Just been watching western cartoons, because it's more enjoyable then anything anime have produced in months.

I cannot stand cartoons. Not sure why. The ones we had as kids were fine but the rubbish that airs nowadays is atrocious.

but the rubbish that airs nowadays is atrocious.

I actually don't really like older children cartoons back in the 20's.

I've decided to rewatch some of them, and majority of them were worse them I remembered. Nostalgic is a scary thing.

I'd rather take something like rick and morty and adventure time, over foster's home and Johnny bravo any day.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

These type of things happen because the more you watch, the more critical you become.

After you realize all the tropes anime tend to use, they start feeling stagnant and lame.

Completely reasonable to become more critical to find enjoyment from an otherwise boring mess.

In exchange you lose the enjoyment and innocent you would get if you were new.

I find myself barely enjoying anime due to this. I honestly haven't picked up an anime series in weeks. Just been watching western cartoons, because it's more enjoyable then anything anime have produced in months.

I totally agree with Cynical here. When I first started watching anime I use to get really upset when a series was over but years later to now I might get it a little bit if it's a really good series. Over time you do become more critical and some genres of anime can become really old really fast. Now instead of being sad it's over a lot of times I find myself frustrated with the anime's flaws. xD

I have also taken many breaks from anime over the years and that always helps it feel like new again when you get back into it.

• Geano locked this topic