Why do you still download anime?

ThatCynicalSnob

Just kind of curious.

I can see why back in 2008 or something, when streaming anime was fucking stupid, but modern streaming doesn't look all that bad, to be honest.

I know that majority of streaming sites have pretty bad players, but still. That's not that big of a deal, it's not like I used 80% of my players advance options. Even then, you can probably still stream on VLC or something.

Not only that, but majority of sites offer 1080p on newer releases.

and the "I don't have to wait to watch" isn't as relevant since downloading episodes usually take only around 5 minutes, but I think it's still a factor to consider.

Older anime usually have no seeders, and take forever to download, while streaming sites are instant.

So, why do you still torrent your anime? I'm honestly wondering if I should just stream my anime.

Edited by Guest

I thought most people just streamed Crunchyroll?

As for me I watch whatever's on Netflix...for now. Doesn't bother me, and I've never downloaded anime.

Netflix doesn't really apply to my OP.

Why in the world would you use netflix?

The only way to change the quality is going to the settings itself, and you absolutely need the newest version of a browsers to use it.

and there are only a couple of titles on there.

I'd honestly rather go on f****** "gogoanime" then netflix.

lol

Edit:

Also, crunchyroll isn't really that much better.

Doesn't have many titles due to legal reasons and the player keeps crashing on me.

A little better then netflix, but i still rather shove a screwdriver up my nose.

Majority of people use Kissanime I think, or just torrent anime.

Edited by Guest

Forgive me for a am the anime newby of this site. Only started watching it like two months ago and only watched a handful of titles. The more I start watching, I'll probably use those sites mentioned. But for now Netflix is a good fix for me getting started. Also I just watch it on my bed on my PS4 so it's really convenient.

• Agree 1

But even then, doesn't netflix ever bother you with it's limited options?

Because of that, I never really liked netflix.

The only reason why I would ever continue my netflix subscription if all of my favorite western cartoons were being licensed and released on netflix.

I dl Anime because:

1. I hate streaming ( no offence to those that like it , it's just my personal opinion)

2. I horde my anime so that I can watch it whenever I want (not just when I have connection to the net).

3. Streaming is difficult to do with such a bad connection and dl's don't randomly stop and make you start again because you lost connection.

4. I have many friends who can't / wont dl or stream new series (or even old ones...) so I share my Anime with them ( like @Modyrts ) who I often share anime with and who often returns the favor.

• Agree 1

I kind of do both. I can never find the new seasonal shows in good quality streaming half the time so I dl it instead. Especially if it's a series I really like and know I will re watch.

I do like the idea of streaming though. If crunchy had a bigger selection I would just stream through them. They have the right idea.

While I do download, I'm not really against streaming. Although, since the Anime Release Notifier extension came back for chrome, and they only support downloading as of now, its much easier for me to just download. Although, I will stream a show if its old and there aren't any seeders for it.

I can never find the new seasonal shows in good quality streaming half the time so I dl it instead.

What kind of streaming site do you use?

Because I know some well maintenance websites that offer 1080p for almost every seasonal show.

If crunchy had a bigger selection I would just stream through them.

There are tons of sites that have a way bigger selection then crunchy. Even with a subscription, I would never use crunchyroll.

Also, funanimation streaming offers way more then crunchyroll if you want to keep stuff legal.

While I do download, I'm not really against streaming. Although, since the Anime Release Notifier extension came back for chrome, and they only support downloading as of now, its much easier for me to just download.

How is Opening utorrent, directing the file to a specific folder, then waiting 5 minutes to download, easier then clicking on the bookmarks, browsing what's been recently released, then watching it.

It's just faster, and more convenient then torrents.

But even if you set up an RSS or something along those lines, to make stuff more convenient, and eliminating the wait time. Setting up an RSS is a pain by itself, and something that could be easily achieved through just briefly browsing the new releases.

Also, "anime release notifier" seems pretty great. But I can't get it to work.

Edited by Guest

How is Opening utorrent, directing the file to a specific folder, then waiting 5 minutes to download, easier then clicking on the bookmarks, browsing what's been recently released, then watching it.

1) I have it set to auto download into a specific folder

2) With my internet speed, its more like 30 seconds.

3) The extension keeps track of what I've watched this season, and keeps me updated in an extension with a notification icon telling me how many I have yet to watch. This is really helpful, as I have 10+ currently airing anime I watch every season.

But even if you set up an RSS or something along those lines, to make stuff more convenient, and eliminating the wait time. Setting up an RSS is a pain by itself, and something that could be easily achieved through just briefly browsing the new releases.

Yes, RSS is a pain, don't use it. :P

Also, "anime release notifier" seems pretty great. But I can't get it to work.

Anime Release Notifier is great, what part are you stuck at? Maybe I can help?

First you need to sign in here with a Google or Facebook account:

https://notify.moe

Go to the settings page of your account on that site, and make sure you enter stuff like your username to MAL, Anilist, etc in the specified fields after creating an account. Also, make your username if that isn't auto entered already.

Then install the extension and go to the options page of the extension.

From there, just enter your username that you just made for the site, and type it in there. The extension will then grab your information from your currently watching list, and notify you of when new episodes are out.

I hope that helped.

[FLOAT_RIGHT]:mages:[/FLOAT_RIGHT]

• 2 weeks later...

Why i download anime:

1. My internet sucks so bad for streaming, get higher speed? yes, i got 20mb broadband but my modem+router are on the other side of the house, so i have to move closer to it or use a bridge/repeater.

2. I like to watch anime in one go, i hate to wait a week for a new episode, so i just wait til its over to download all the episodes in a nice little bundle <3

3. I dont torrent. I use other ways to download them.

4. I'm hungry.

love youz

• 2 weeks later...
I don't download, either. Why do so when I can watch them online? It's a waste of space on my laptop which I'd rather use to hoard songs/images/games :P

People with slow internet connection use torrent because stream buffer and The quality of the anime is a lot better then streaming sometimes.

If I were to stream something from 2010, it wouldn't be as good as a torrented show. The default streaming is usually around 480p to 720p while torrenting offer 1080p. and it doesn't take very long to download. Only around 5 minutes or so.

The space isn't a really big deal either. Most hard drives are cheap as hell. You could probably buy a external harddrive 1tb for only 80ish CAN dollars and for an internal harddrive you could get 3 TB for 130 CAD dollars. That's a steal.

Also, waste of space could easy be achieved by deleting the anime after finishing.

More positive traits for downloading anime.

Doens't need flash

No ads

Able to change subtitles

tons of settings

options to go 2x or 4x if the anime bores you

no buffering

No crappy player

Edited by Guest

• Geano locked this topic