Sword Art Online - General Discussion

Optic

sword-art-online-poster.thumb.jpg.878519be7cfe42f3ccf355a451244142.jpgDiscussion topic for Sword Art Online.

For the benefit of those that haven't watched the series in full yet please use SPOILER tags.

• If you're still watching it how are you finding it so far?
  • If you finished it how did you find it?

I know a lot of people felt this way, I wish they extended the SAO arc over the AO arc. Bear in mind I've never read the manga it was based on. With AO I felt a lot of the suspense was lost when in SAO if you died that was it, but in AO there are no major consequences as you'll eventually respawn...

I think the SAO arc was too short. Also, I felt that it was a little too relationship based.

I felt cheeted in that there was in my opionion very little exploration of the world and any real feel of MMORPG.

The MMORPG basis felt very... token?

Fight scenes were minimal and all relationship based mostly, not many epic battles or anything.

What I think I felt most annoyed about was Yui. I get why she was there and important but it annoyed me still. They had their time playing mummy and daddy, ignoring getting home and

Then to cut the darn series at episode 15 to go to ALfheim!!! From potentially serious to what amounted to fluff in comparison.

The entire second half was on the boarder of pissing me off big time.

Kirito/Leafa plot was WAY too obvious, Asuna was turned into a helpless princess in need of Mario, the way they portrayed all relationships in the last half was just wrong >>;

What is it with the family love that the Japanese are obsessed with? Why did Sugou have to be SOOOO creepy and plain disgusting?

I find it also incredibly hard to belive his sister did NOT know his screen name, since i am sure it would have been plastered all over the news and such.

Basically I liked the first half, even though I wanted more fighting. I really got iritated the second half and didn't really enjoy it.

I hadn't watched expecting it to be so shojo, I would have watched something else if I wanted fluff. I expected it to be more Noir, Evangelion, Bebop... Just more action.

EDIT: On second thought, I realised that my reaction to this has been similar to a lot of the newer shows I have watched... maybe that is why I watch very little now-a-days.

The shows that try to blur the shojo/shonen lines seem to fail more... maybe I am just getting too old lol

To me, I thought that was an integral part of AO. The illusion was that you could die and it wouldn't matter, and Kirito believes it, until he actually dies and realizes the consequences.

Oh and speaking about what happened inside SAO is forbidden or something rather.

Anyway, negatives for me!

I got annoyed with Yui because of her constantly saying 'mommy' or 'daddy', mom & dad would've sufficed.

Was disappointed to not see more Liz, while I understand it focused mainly on developing Kirito as a character, the inproportionate screen time for the characters was annoying. 9 times out of 10 it was Kirito + Asuna or Kirito + Leafa.

Kirito's ridiculously overpowered. I thought it they would do that, we'd see a few more fight scenes!

I thought the SAO arc was too short. AO arc was fine at the length it was.

Kirito's habit of making every woman fall in love with him unintentionally because of his 'sword' wielding abilities haha!

Time for Positives!

The cinematic pans of the fight scenes, it was a nice change.

No long fillers!

Asuna.

Character appearance, I liked them!

Did I mention Asuna?

Okay I'm done for now

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished it awhile back, although most of the time, the fight scenes were way too short.

SAO arc was good, but some characters deserved more screen time. AO arc was dull, only one fight scene kept me interested a little.

SAO

I liked it, the storyline was very good and interesting but they really rushed through the 75/100 levels and they really could have thought of more episodes, battles and such so they wouldn't rush it. The ending was really out of the blue, I was really hoping for more episodes.

Alfheim Online

It wasn't as exciting as SAO and the ending of it was way to perverted if you asked me which annoyed me, it was just so weird and I don't understand that if Kirito was like Skills level one that he could have rushed it through it that fast.

I do like the anime in general but it was really rushed...

I guess the common fact that everybody agreed on is the AO arc of the anime. Which I also felt like, killed the show.

The SAO arc was what brought me into the anime, I liked the story even though at times there wasn't much action and the linking of episode to episode sometimes made me felt lost. Like there was always this huge gap inbetween. Side character wise were pretty much appearing and disappearing. Without much details on them.

The AO arc also made me drop the whole anime.

• 4 weeks later...

It certainly looks that way Fab. Indeed we all agree on:

• It should've been longer - rushed!!
  • Preferring the SAO arc over the AO arc.

I read through some of the light novel recently and was really surprised at some of the scenes. There was more context for Kirito's actions as his thoughts were written out. For example, it was heavily emphasised towards the end of SAO in the manga that he had to beat the system, to escape the confines of the system by spirit and will through Asuna. Whereas in the anime... it seemed to be portrayed more as a miracle as there were almost no voiceovers on the final SAO battle scene.

Also... looks like an English dub is on the way:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-05-24/sword-art-online-to-air-on-toonami-starting-in-august

The dialogue was so monotone in many parts, particularly the house scenes so I do wonder if the VAs will cope. xD

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Started of nice with a really interesting concept and a promising story.

But I hated it. I didnt like any of the characters and the pacing was just terrible. The SAO arc should have been a lot longer and the development between Kirito and Asuna was just too fast, way too fast

i found sao to be really good all the way through to ggo i found that i could see myself in the game and trying to survive . i think that lots of people give aol a really hard time for bad reasons yes i understand the die in irl aspect is missing but i still think it was good beacuse i felt bad for sugu that she was in such a hard position but in the end she came to terms with it wich would be hard. i also think that series like mothers Rosario was highly underrated and sometimes even forgotten tbh that story had me crying for a long time and i still get emotional when i see it today

• Like 1

In my top 10. Yes, the SAO arc was better, the AO arch felt forced. I'm more about characters and romance than the fighting, though, and have a strong affinity due to all the MMO I play.

Asuna

Game within Anime

Romance

Asuna

What can I say, I'm a sucker for a great romance.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love sword Art online, i don't know why it gets such a bad reputation!, to me the anime is not so much about the story but the themes of that makes sense, the whole concept of can we place value on virtual objects?, getting emotionally attached to virtual objects and escaping reality, the analysis of these themes really intrigues me and is what i think sword Art is really about behind all the other stuff.

And why do people hate yui so much!, i like her character!

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I don't know why people hate her. I love her. She's adorable! She's easily the best girl in SAO after Silica :P

• Like 1

You just reminded me of someone there xD.

I don't know why people hate her. I love her. She's adorable! She's easily the best girl in SAO after Silica :P

Only from lolicon pov :P, sinon is actually better than both imo.

Only from lolicon pov :P

shhhhhhhh!

I just like Silica and Yui.....

They are far better than Asuna.

The world doesn't need to know the truth about me xP JK....or am I? xP

The world doesn't need to know the truth about me xP JK....or am I? xP

I dont know judging you like taiga also, you probably are..

Im sorry, this is a bit late since the pv was uploaded 4/10 but well here it is.

The new SAO movie is confirmed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCuz4Rd8xKc

As for the story its going to be completely original but it will still be written by Reki though (SAO author).

source : 『ソードアート・オンライン』劇場アニメ制作が決定! 告知PVも公開

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Im sorry, this is a bit late since the pv was uploaded 4/10 but well here it is.

The new SAO movie is confirmed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCuz4Rd8xKc

As for the story its going to be completely original but it will still be written by Reki though (SAO author).

source : 『ソードアート・オンライン』劇場アニメ制作が決定! 告知PVも公開

I was hoping for a third season. But a movie is good too. :angel:

• Like 1

So I finally finished the first season of sword art online and I loved it. I don't know why I put this one off for so long. I haven't read the manga but after reading mixed reviews I kind of put it off and it was way better than I expected. I loved the story, the characters and art.

Now I am off to start season two. Is it just as good as season one? Does the story actually end for good?

• Like 1

• Geano locked this topic