Kingdom Hearts

Optic

For those that have never played it before it was a collaboration between Square Enix and Disney. So each of the worlds were modelled after a Disney franchise, thrown in with some Final Fantasy.

It was a really touching story across both games and some of the nicer features at the time included:

• live battles (no random encounters)
  • bizarre yet interesting mix of Disney and Final Fantasy characters (Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Donald Duck,Aladdin, Simba, Winnie the Pooh, Yuffie, Squall, Cloud, the list goes on!)

And of course Square Enix being Square Enix, the FMVs were gorgeous, KH2 FMV opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfNAUs5uNm0

The other opening for KH2 also has some of the most touching words I've read in awhile in a game:

Thinking of you wherever you are.

We pray for our sorrows to end,

and hope that our hearts will blend.

Now I will step forward to realize this wish.

And who knows:

starting a new journey may not be so hard

or may it has already begun.

There are many words,

but they share the same sky ---

one sky, one destiny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SZUR_A6KTk

Any other fans of Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 on PlayStation 2? ^_^

• Like 1

1 & 2 yes, I have never finished the side games though. They didn't feel 'right'.

I am dying for them to put 3 out.... But I am not holding my breath (or on a sequel for The World Ends With You which was also fantastic!)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Played all of them except the most recent, dream drop distance I think haha. Love the series mostly for it's sad stories haha. The combat system is pretty fun too. And oh The World Ends With You as amazing as it was, I'm not sure if I want a sequel unless it involves a whole new set of characters for a brand new story.

• 2 years later...

I've only played 1 & 2. I remember how confused I was when playing 2. I didn't have a PSP and didn't know about Chain of Memories. I do hope to play 3 in some way.

I've played 1, Chains of Memories and 2. Right now I'm a bit mixed on the series. I'll admit I'm a bit biased as I don't know that much about Disney... but it's been a policy of mine to rate a game on it's own rather than what it's based off of.

I liked the first game as a whole, the battle system was clunky at times but I made it through. I think the voice acting in this game set the standards for games with voices since, so not many voices made me cringe. I also liked the story, but didn't care for the original characters. And being a fan for a few Final Fantasies, I didn't like the lack of characters from that series. But I'll let that part slide since it was apparently a list minute move by Square.

I couldn't stand Chain of Memories on the GBA, by the time I made it to the last area I found myself frustrated. The game was easily broken by just spamming Cloud as a summon and the somewhat 'randomly' generated areas were not executed well. The sub plots were watered down versions of KH1, the music was a lower quality selection of KH1, and one of the main traits of Kingdom Hearts, Disney styled voice acting, wasn't even present. All of that aside, it did have the best overarching plot of any Kingdom Hearts game, it's just so sad to see it covered by all of the games flaws and misused potential as the series first hand-held and only main 2D entry.

KH2 I loved at first, but ran down under me as the game went on. There was too many gameplay elements added to the decent KH1 combat... the game as a whole bit off more than it could chew. And even though I thought the choices of worlds was marginally better than KH1, the clash of art styles in places like Pirates of the Caribbeans and Tron was terrible (the worlds themselves were fine, but clash is clash). I also don't think Square even knew where the story was going at times. On the other hand, there was a handful of original characters I liked and more Final Fantasy characters, not to mentions traveling from world to worlds was MUCH less of a pain. I've yet to finish this one (been playing on and off for over a year). I don't like this game as much as the first one, but it's not bad by any means.

That's my experience with the series, I might try 358/2 days or Birth by Sleep one day... but again, I'm not a huge Disney fan. I don't have a PS4 or an XBONE, but I will check up on KH3 updates. I hope for more modern Disney worlds like Frozen or Wreck it Ralph, and maybe a wider variety of FF characters. They've been focusing on 7,8 and 10. I want to see some characters from 6 or from spinoffs like Bravely Default (we DID get The World Ends With You characters, after all.)

Oh, and thanks for reading my ramble.

• 5 months later...