Is Log Horizon really better than Sword Art Online?

Optic

Is Log Horizon really better than Sword Art Online?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Is Log Horizon really better than Sword Art Online?

• Log Horizon is better!
    • Sword Art Online is better!
    • They're both about the same...
    • It depends.

I haven't seen Log Horizon yet. Though apparently it's better than Sword Art Online in many areas.

In both titles, the characters are trapped in a virtual MMORPG.

log-horizon.thumb.jpg.160642ee1c91ef6dd0737aaeadd184f9.jpg

Log Horizon

sword-art-online-cover.thumb.jpg.c4d1e2941f26b6ff8c7a285394acca7c.jpg

Sword Art Online

[FLOAT_RIGHT]:falcon:[/FLOAT_RIGHT]To those that have seen both Log Horizon and Sword Art Online, which of the two are better and why?

Edited by Guest

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really loved Sword Art compare to Log Horizon mostly because I found the characters had more of a character to them. and Kirito and Asuna are the perfect match. When it came to Sword Art season 2 though ugh maybe not as good as the first season of Log Horizon but I personally think GGO and SAO and the last two parts with ALF are better then log horizon.

• Optimistic 1

I would recommend you to watch Log Horizon as well but i am for SAO, BECAUSE the story is well made, the romance between Kirito and Asuna is one of the things why i couldn't leave the Anime after the first season + the creator put so much feelings in this Anime combinated with fight scenes and romance scenes and in my opinion it's just incredible. SAO would be with other animes like Tokyo Ghoul, Attack on Titan belong to the new genaration of animes.

About Log Horizon: I watched also both season's but i missed many things in the anime like a background story.

Otherwise, it's an amazing anime but it's not at the same level as SAO.

Have a great day! :)

Edited by Guest

I have watched both and I can honestly say that they are about the same and it all depends on personal preference.

SAO is stronger in some areas than Log Horizon is and vice versa.

Though I personally advocate SAO because of the huge letdown that was Log season 2 , though SAO also stuffed up in the second half ... of both seasons , Log was average throughout the first and just a train wreck in the second , SAO had a few moments of brilliance as well as Kirito X Asuna so it won for me ... barely.

• Agree 1

I just had a discussion with Yuuki abut this and I must say that SAO wins by far. Yes most of it was a disappointment but it won hands down. Log Horizon was also really enjoyable (Please nte that I am not very strict/critical about my thoughts and ratings on anime) although it did have some huge let downs. For one, you never find out what exactly happened. Two, there was no ending... at all. Imagine this *spoiler alert* One of the MCs vanishes for some mysterious reason, you never find out why in the rest of the season and waiting for the next season which never comes.

To me, SAO seemed very realistic and immersive where as Log Horizon seemed more like you are actually "playing" the game yourself. That being said, it all really depends on the person who is watching. SAO would be the console and Log Horizon the PC. Log Horizon would appeal more to people who play games such as LoL and DOTA whilst SAO would include those and then some.

All in all, both great series and both are worth watching.

I really did enjoy Log Horizon more. Log Horizon really focuses heavily on the aspect of you being thrown into a MMORPG world and possible outcomes that would happen from doing so. The show talks a lot about the mechanics of an RPG and has a lot information and a very massive and deep world. There's also a good amount of politics and running a city and stuff like that.The main issue holding back Log Horizon is just it's production quality and design. It doesn't look that appealing, but it is pretty understandable since the light novels probably did not make that much money and the studio chosen isn't the best at visuals.

Sword Art Online, has some nice and fine art (heh art see what I did there) and some SiCK action scenes and animation, as well as Asuna and Yui. But the main gripe is how I don't feel invested into the atmosphere of SAO and Aincrad (I'm not gonna talk about the second half of the 1st season cause it's honestly garbage and there isn't anyway to save it). Like because of all the time skips and stuff I don't really get a feel for the world and how the economy works and who is in charge and what-not. Kirito also isn't that great of a MC, because he's not really a cool dude. Like in the beginning, he forces himself to isolation instead of reaching out helping other people. He lied about his level and got a group of cool people, including a girl that kind of liked him, and he kind of liked back, killed! Kirito got better because of Asuna, because she is the light of this show by far (along with Yui)! Asuna was such a dope character and Kirito also became a dope character as a result. But I enjoyed it, as in mainly for the "lovey-dovey-awwwwww" moments and the SIck action scenes and sequences.

TL;DR

I liked Log Horizon more, and SAO wasn't that great, but I had a okay time watching it.

*Who's Cuter?

[spoiler=Akatsuki (Log Horizon)]photo.jpg.401240c8cb8322ec0f804b11a6d7ce81.jpg

MnRZF1S.gif.89d60a1eedadc3fb85e1b06c62b5c334.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

in reference to anime industry and what majority wants now days i would give the edge to SAO. especially season 1 (not s2 though)

but the better one in relation to the concept freed from the title "anime", for me, would be log horizon. it has a very well rounded plot and i loved the way it cared for small details and the way the mc reacted with them bared in mind.

I liked Log Horizon more, and SAO wasn't that great, but I had a okay time watching it.

*Who's Cuter?

definitely akatsuki-chan <3

• Like 2

I have not seen log horizon but I did enjoy sword art online. I wish season two of sao was as good as the first but it was still enjoyable. The reason I have not seen log horizon yet is because it got mixed reviews. I can see the same in this thread although because I am a sucker for these types of anime I will eventually get around to watching it. xP

I think they're about the same. Love the main char of Log, he's like one of us in game. But SAO does have a gun arc, GGO or SAO lol

Edited by Guest

To me, my favorite series and the best series that I've ever watched is different.

So, my reply on this topic will be pretty much like that.

I prefer Sword Art Online than Log Horizon. It's just more appealing to me in every aspect, the sound effect definitely played a huge role. The action scenes aswell, I like how Log Horizon does it more "MMORPG-like" but when there are too many things happening in a single fight it doesn't really comes out as a good fight scene.

And now as to which one is better. I think Log Horizon is better, no matter how you look at it, it's more "MMORPG-like". It has more advanced sub-class and everything, something SAO lacks, the NPC in Log Horizon plays part in the story aswell, so it's refreshing. Log Horizon might not have the intensity that SAO had, but they pretty much make it up with other things, and the minor character in Log Horizon is way better than SAO's minor characters.

• Agree 1

No .hack//? I dunno if you heard of that one, but that one came around for me long before I knew SOA so much as existed in some form, and I still don't think I've been exposed to Log Horizon to any significant degree.

I prefer .hack's storytelling, myself, though SOA has its own appeal. Log Horizon is something I just can't speak for yet. It looks interesting, though.

Sorry about that...

• Creative 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I haven't seen all of Log Horizon, but I've seen most of SAO. I think Log Horizon is better.

One reason is the world, it really felt so much more like a game. Another reason is the characters, look, I'm not gonna lie, I think Kirito and Asuna are two of the most boring anime protagonists ever. Kirito is practically an idiot with how he deals with people, and Asuna always just seemed flat to me. And I could care less for the romance, it wasn't that good IMO. And then the support characters, seriously. Yui was annoying to me, and Liz and Silica were too cause it was obvious that they both also liked Kirito, and that is just annoying to me. The harem aspect I mean, and it just got worse in the Alf arc when Leafa is brought in. Agil and Klein are my favorite characters in the series(Along with Recon) but they barely did anything important! Much less appear half the time!

Meanwhile in Log Horizon I actually care about the characters, Shiroe is actually a smart guy, and Akatsuki is endearing. The only character I don't really like is Naotsugu due to his perverted tendencies, but it wasn't prevalent enough to really be annoying. Also Nyanta=Instant Win, and Rundelhaus was just the best, I've always liked the wimpy characters who think highly of themselves.

But in the end there is one difference that means everything to me. Man With A Mission. :D

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found Log Horizon more enjoyable than SAO, but I can't say that it was better. Granted, how "good"

an anime is boils down to personal opinion, there are things we can almost collectively agree are good and bad in each.

First off, Log Horizon doesn't tell you exactly how they got stuck, or what they need to do to get out. As for SAO, the story is pretty well explained in the first episode, something that I disliked - there was little or no suspense. As for SAO, it effectively becomes a romcom halfway through the first season, which if you wanted a serious, stuck-in-a-game anime, is bad, however; I enjoyed the last 3/4 more than the first. I would argue that Log Horizon is guilty of the same crime, and I do wish it would be more consistent in its comedy-seriousness ratio(C/S[yes!! I actually coined a term, my life is complete!]).

So it doesn't get get too long, I'll only bring up one more point, that being that the characters in Log Horizon are much deeper, and more relatable to than those of SAO. Kirito is an awsome, lovable guy, but very shallow, and then almost non-existent in the last half of season 2(although I did cry).

But really, it doesn't matter, they are two sides of a coin, what oone gets right the other seems to get wrong.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Sword Art Online all the way. I watched Log Horizon's first episode and I was bored out of my mind, prove me wrong and I will watch it but other than that Sword Art Online has great romances, a great story and awesome fights. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that we can't really see the characters grow. One episode they are a nub and the next they are super OP. :)

Log hoizon is way better i like the story of sao nut they buchered it

Not very consistent and i think log horizon does a better job of actually depicting an mmo

• Geano locked this topic