What do you think of anime chibis?

Optic

43 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of anime chibis?

• Awwh! So cute!!!
    • I like them, as long as they're not overused.
    • What are these deformed blobs ....
    • I'm easy going - they neither bother or excite me.
    • It depends...

Usually you see a character turn into a chibi to show a funny or light-hearted moment.

Do you think they're usually funny and done well? Or perhaps just a distraction or overused? Maybe you think they should just be left outside anime altogether and used only on OPs/EDs and artwork?

I personally think they're really cute! But they should only be used in silly anime titles. I think it can be quite distracting if used in a serious anime title.

Here's a cute example from Four Rhythm Across the Blue when Asuka Kurashina tries to fly for the first time with her shoes. I think chibi scenes work in this show because it is quite light-hearted and Asuka is very ditzy:

[MEDIA=gfycat]height=360;id=HalfDismalFireant;width=640[/MEDIA]

And here's the cover art for the Hyperdimension Neptunia vs Sega Hard Girls crossover game which contains chibi versions of the characters on the cover. I think chibis work really well on artwork! Of course this franchise was never overly serious to begin with so it works well here too.

neptunia-chibi-sega-girls-cover.thumb.jpg.ba101ebe4622f668a545f13adb683bce.jpg

So...

Edited by Guest

I really like chibis as long as they are done correctly. Even in some serious anime, chibis can fit in the more comedic scenes. Still, some anime go overboard with chibis and even thought they are enjoyable, it can get a bit annoying at times.

I have an appreciation for chiba art, but only when used in the right place at the right time. In general I'd much rather see regular art styles, but chibis work SO well for certain comedic and silly things, and in those situations I love them.

• 1 month later...

I think chibis are cute and a comical aspect to a character that couldn't be expressed any other way. However; they can be overused and misplased.

Himouto Umaru-chan is a good example of where chibis fit in well on a large scale.

I love chibis. They are like puppies or baby penguins, they are cute and when used right, they make an anime even more enjoyable.

Who can say they don't like chibis to chibitalia from Hetalia.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg.32ae5b8740bf4c39c4444510ec2e615f.jpg

Oh the adorableness!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey, chibi is great! When used properly it's very cute and appealing- like in eyecatch bumpers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3L44V4zHSI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=207JBnj_OfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSUU8-bCX9g

(on the flip side the internet chibifies literally everything an I am sick of seeing crap like "cHibi jeFF tHE KiLLeR kaWaiI dESU~!!!!!111!!!!11!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chibis are almost tradition when it comes to anime. And as most people pointed out, they're okay as long as used in moderation.

Although sometimes they no longer have any effect on me because you see them on almost every show. You become numb to them.

I also noticed it would depend on how good or how cute the chibi is drawn. Some chibis have no visual impact that you just ignore them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely love chibis. They're cute and funny at the same time. Although, they're kind of distracting when they're over used. Just like in Yamato Nadeshiko where the girl is always a chibi and turns into a good looking anime in just serious or scary moments. It almost rip my head off whenever she stays for a chibi for too long.

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

I think they're really cute. But definitely only in the right situations. Like, I wouldn't want to see them in Texhnolyze, that'd just be wrong.

But, I love them in Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki, where all the characters are chibi anyway lol

• 2 months later...

It depends. I certainly don't have a problem with Chibi. Last year even I played two very long games with Chibi models taking the forefront, but It can also be a little overwhelming. I don't just want my anime to be cute and nothing else. I watch anime mostly for a good story, or animation or depending on the anime, good characters, if Chibi in anyway takes from that, I might find an issue with it, and I kind of doubt I'd ever watch an anime that's nothing but Chibi.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...

In extreme moderation, I think chibis can be really cute and add to the expression of certain emotions in anime. If things go out of control, though, then I find that it kills the story for me. I think that anime chibis are like soy sauce in things that don't have to have soy sauce. A little bit can go a long way, but too much can result in choking on sodium and having your stomach rupture. Errr, or at least that's what happens to me. :?

• Like 1

This reminds me of Umaru-chan. When I saw that chibi character, I put the anime in my "Plan to Watch" list quickly because she looks so cute. Buuuut on the other hand, she's a chubby blob of moe chugging down soda.

The thing with anime is that, "anime" and "moe" are practically interchangeable terms nowadays, with the over-saturation of moe/cutesy anime, and that saturation reminds me why I don't like too much of such character design. The moeblob's appearance every now and then is fine, but too much can ruin the mood and pacing during weightier and emotional moments in the story. Can you imagine Saber's final moments in Fate/Zero, when she's forced to witness the destruction of the Grail, and she has a 'chibi' moment? Too much of that stuff kills the mood. I personally prefer drama and thrillers any day over whatever moe Japan seems to be obsessed with, so if anime has too many chibi moments just to make people squeal at how supposedly "cutesy" the chibi is, it becomes off-putting and obnoxious.

It's not even funny, like slapstick funny. It can look cute like a puppy would, but I think for me, even I would get bored if I'm forced to stare at a puppy all the time.

• Agree 1

• Geano locked this topic