Is the onsen (bath) scenario getting old?

Optic

36 members have voted

1. 1. Is the onsen (bath) scenario getting old?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Well, it depends...

We all know this scenario.

A certain character (usually a male MC) decides to take a bath at an onsen (hot springs or an indoor bath house).

There are both male and female sections.

Somehow, the MC stumbles into the female section. It's almost always due to a signage error, whether the MC misreads it or for some reason, another character got the signage wrong. @_@

In any case...

The MC starts to relax in the empty female section, until it becomes evident that he is in the wrong section as he hears the sounds of female characters coming in... OR.. the MC stumbles upon a female character that's already inside.

At this point, the MC either tries to hide or it results in an awkward moment.

And the outcome is the MC usually gets attacked, chased outside or nothing bad really happens!

So with this in mind...

I think it depends on the circumstances!

I found a variation of this scenario in Dog Days to be quite adorable.

[MEDIA=gfycat]height=360;id=PopularBitesizedIndianjackal;width=640[/MEDIA]

Without going into too much detail, Shinku accidentally stumbled upon Princess Millhiore when she was bathing. But it wasn't Shinku's fault! He couldn't read the sign because he couldn't read the Biscotti language yet! And there was nobody around to ask.

[MEDIA=gfycat]height=360;id=CrazyHappygoluckyGopher;width=640[/MEDIA]

At least Millhiore was very understanding (though embarassed) at the end of the ordeal:

millhiore-dog-days-exiting-onsen.thumb.jpg.5d9117165afc631dcaaeb294ad5785b8.jpg

---

What are your thoughts? Does anime need more onsen or less onsen?

Edited by Guest

Onsen scenes are really boring, I kind of lose interest in animes that have them, and more then often just drop the anime entirely. It's obviously just another cheap shot at fan service, and doesn't really add anything of substance to the show. And it's sad to see this sort of stuff be extremely popular, mainly because they can sell figurines and other products to make cash. If anything we need more anime like Attack on Titan; making it appeal to a wider audience (*cough* The West *cough*). Like Attack on Titan is a really good show, that makes money off of the actual show, but also through their merchandise as well. We need both in order to get awesome anime. Bigger profit=better quality. I believe the YouTuber Digibro covered the topic here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AHo-_XEV6E

TL;DR

Onsen scenes are boring and is a skip for me when watching a show (most of the time).

• Like 1

...did I just see an advocation for the idea that sales equals quality? Because it doesn't. At all.

Anyways...I'll admit, I look at pervy stuff (something I've gone from resenting to accepting...and then not only back to resenting, but resenting it worse), but well...well, if it's just an attempt at fanservice and nothing else, maybe they should have come up with a better scenario.

If it has some important scenes, or just makes the world seem more alive, I can accept it, but if it serves no purpose beyond quick fanservice and you can remove it without affecting the plot, then maybe they shouldn't have gone through with it.

Edited by Guest

...did I just see an advocation for the idea that sales equals quality? Because it doesn't. At all.

Anyways...I'll admit, I look at pervy stuff (something I've gone from resenting to accepting...and then not only back to resenting, but resenting it worse), but well...well, if it's just an attempt at fanservice and nothing else, maybe they should have come up with a better scenario.

If it has some important scenes, or just makes the world seem more alive, I can accept it, but if it serves no purpose beyond quick fanservice and you can remove it without affecting the plot, then maybe they shouldn't have gone through with it.

My bad I should have said it a bit more clearer. Right now the main problem with the anime industry is that they can't make enough sales on their actual show or project. Studio Ghibli was being screwed over financially by their president because of how expensive their projects were and how they weren't able to make a profit to sustain and make more projects. And of course the reason why they weren't making enough money was because not a lot of people were buying them. So yes there are other factors that are involved in making good, engaging, entertaining, and visually and stunning anime. But none of those things will happen if the studio isn't getting the budget it needs through the sales of their past projects. So I guess what I meant to say was

Sales + (good+motivated+studio)=quality anime

I think.

What are your thoughts? Does anime need more onsen or less onsen?

I shall always love onsen scenes xP (I'm a guy and guys are perverted. End of story.)

It's never going to get old xP

The onsen scenes in Dog Days are quite adorable.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Personally I think it's a combination of culture and fan service. Japanese people go to onsen. It's ingrained, I feel, because it's relatable for them...minus the stumbling into the wrong side probably.

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

Not really. In some anime, the girls talk which sometimes play quite a part in the story is always in the bath scene.

Speaking of which, Musaigen just did one recently xD. It was a pretty interesting episode.

• 2 weeks later...

I see it as getting old but not for the same reasons as others. I see it getting old because it doesn't make sense to me. In the one you described above, it makes sense. He doesn't know the language, but in cliche examples it is because of stupid errors. How hard is it to walk in and carefully read the sign?

• 2 weeks later...

There's another variation that features in Persona 4; the bath operates a rotation, in which men and women use the bath at different times, the girls enter at the wrong time, the guys enter later, but the guys are still in the wrong, and are pelted by wooden buckets!?

Similar thing happens in Persona 3 as well (guys enter first, then the girls), not sure if it's the same reason or not, although I made sure to escape unseen, I did however see what happens if you don't escape unseen via the Persona 3 movie(s)!

Before Determination (Digimon Adventure -tri-) came out, I actually thought it was going to feature the "old" onsen scenario too; Ogremon crashes into the women's onsen, Mimi, Sora, Hikari and Meiko are in there, their screams alert the boys, who come crashing in, only to be pelted with, and knocked out by wooden buckets, Lilymon evolves into Rosemon, Ogremon is defeated!

In the end, the "old" onsen scenario was not used, however the girls do cross into the men's area, for reasons revealed in the movie!

In regards to Dog Days, doesn't Millhiore like Shinku anyway? Although it cannot be on account of -spoilers-! I need to resume Dog Days at some point, watched series one, but now there's series two and three!

Edited by Guest

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bath scenes are common in animes. Definitely fan service. Same with Beach scenes, they are not that surprising anymore and can be counted as a cliché part of an anime. Still is fun though, a lot happens during bath xD

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

still no where near as bad a scenario as a bloke any where even possibly on his own tripping over nothing and always with out fail ending up with his hand wrapped around a tittyboob from nowhere , now that's getting old and cliché , but some times I reiterate some times its funny still but usually not

• Agree 1

Okay, so I know about the onsen scenario thing. But it's not really something I've encountered much in the anime I've seen.

It sounds like it's being overused, but at the same time I'm not bothered by it because I haven't encountered it much haha

• Agree 2

Lately, there haven't been much Onsen scenarios in anime as there is usually every season. I think the concept has been buried by all the new anime concepts such as Isekai, Yuri, Dark Mahou Shoujo, etc.

I haven't encountered it much in anime so I can't really say anything ;)

Giving that I haven't watched a wide variety of anime I don't know if my opinion is a valid one but while it is a trope used a lot in gaming, movies (and apparently anime as well) it isn't so much the "surprise" moment that impacts me but how the characters interact with each other (especially at that moment) so it all depends.

• 1 month later...

I have no problem as long as it adds to the storytelling/works with the feel of the show. The main issue is that these scenes are usually clumsily inserted into normal anime in a petty attempt at fanservice to gain popularity. Anyway, when done right and in a show that knows its audience, it can be a positive trope.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
In Japanese anime it is understandable because of the cultural aspect of it and the satire is pretty much all that the anime plays on there. I've met a few Japanese people and they have fond memories of onsen so I can see why it would be a popular element in Japanese television/movies.
Yeah. Onsen are very relaxing and nice. I haven't gone in a long time, though.

I don't have anything against onsen scenes, as onsen are part of the Japanese culture and it's good that we're exposed to that, but I dont like the way that they're mostly used for fanservice. But then again, you do enter these onsen naked... it's not the scenario that's horrible and repetitive, it's the stupid fanservice that's annoying.

• Agree 2

• Geano locked this topic