Blu-Ray

Optic

General discussion for Blu-Ray discs!

I started purchasing them before I had a full HDTV so the difference was quite small. Now that I'm on a full HDTV the difference is phenomenal. Blu-Rays here were $40 each when they first came out here!! They're at a more reasonable price now though you'll still be paying a premium if you go for the Triple Play editions (DVD and iTunes copy bundled).

I had a quick glance at my library and I'm at 60 Blu-Rays!

My only gripe with Blu-Ray is region coding. To my knowledge there still aren't any viably good region free Blu-Ray players. I import several Hong Kong Blu-Rays so they're on region A, whereas we're on region C. My current workaround is to set my PC Blu-Ray player to region A whilst I play the local releases on the PS3.

Anyone else here buy Blu-Rays? Whats your experience been like?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I supposed blu-ray videos (or movies) are region free on PS3? And are based on alphabetic?

Because the only blu-rays I've got over here are PS3 games. lol. And the regions are based on numbers. (R1 is US, R2 is JPN/EUR etc.)

Bluray DVD reminds me of animes where they remove the steam and censors, ahaha. Brilliant moneymaking strategy.

What I've really admired with Japanese media is the packaging and extras are usually stylishly... intricate. The first two Sword Art Online Bluray volumes I bought came with plastic sleeve protectors. Absolutely stunning packaging and a nice collectors box:

zAu8cZg.jpg.4c6dbdbc673b5e5b2dc0265038b8764c.jpg

As for the money making, so true! Each volume cost me 6800 yen. :unsure:

And the Mobile Gundam SEED Bluray complete set I bought... well the cost was ridiculous. ;)

But I really feel the studios deserve it. I only started buying Anime recently for the ones that I found touching. Gundam SEED and SAO touched me, so I went out and bought them. :) Slightly off-topic I also tend to grab the OST, artbooks and figures (if they're still available and of a nice quality build).

I supposed blu-ray videos (or movies) are region free on PS3? And are based on alphabetic?

Because the only blu-rays I've got over here are PS3 games. lol. And the regions are based on numbers. (R1 is US, R2 is JPN/EUR etc.)

PS3 games are region free, I know this because I used to buy PS3 games from a Hong Kong online retailer because it was cheaper ($40-$50 USD versus the absurd $80-$110 AUD here for a new release) and they worked fine on my PS3.

But SOME Blu-Ray movies do have region coding.

Basically: (with a few exceptions)

• A: East Asia
  • B: Africa, Europe, Oceania
  • C: Central Asia

The Hong Kong Blu-Rays I buy normally come in Region A... they won't play on my PS3 because we're Region B... <_<On the PS3 you can't change the coding whereas on some standalone Blu-Ray players you can... anyway I just play them on my PC's Blu-Ray player which I set to Region B. :P

• 3 months later...

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a Blu-ray movie exchange. We list what movies we have and we can borrow from each other's collection? Only potential issue might be the region coding, however most of the Blu-rays sold here in Australia appear to be region free.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I'll post my list of Blu-rays. :P

• 3 years later...

It use to make little difference to me. And I would not say it makes a huge difference even now. Most of my animated films that I own are in blu-ray, but other than that, I'll watch something however. It is mostly because I am cheap... Haha. So if I want to buy a movie on disk, I'll usually just buy regular to avoid spending the extra money. But I do prefer blu-ray now.

Of course, this is coming from the girl who will still watch VHS tapes in her VHS player because it takes her back to her childhood. xD

I don't own any type of blu-ray movies or shows. I never really thought much about them. It took me forever to even bother purchasing DVDs as I was still partial to VHS years ago. I didn't like the idea of DVDs, even if they were better quality, due tot e fact that they were less durable. You could drop a VHS (or BETA) on the floor, kick it around, etc., it would still play fine. One scratch or a spec of dust on a DVD, it skips or is unplayable. The only bad thing about VHS/BETA were the VCR players. In other words, the machine would probably go bad before the tape would.

Hm, I don't own many anime DVDs. I only buy DVDs of series that have rewatch value for me, and not many anime do that for me. The list is fairly short. I do have, however, Japanese concert DVDs.

Anyway, going back on topic, I doubt I'll be buying anything on blu-ray anytime soon. I don't even own a blu-ray player. and the highest gaming console I kind of have (stateside) is the Wii and before that, the Gamecube and PS2 as far as disc-based game systems go.

I remember purchasing a couple for movies when they were first advertised with the Play Station 3. After I noticed that it was just easier for me to purchase it digitally or not at all. As it was much cheaper.

• 2 months later...

I have transitioned to Blu Rays because I cannot seem to buy anime in any other format and iTunes does not seem to carry all the titles that I want to watch.

For example, Boku Dake ga Inai Machi and Your Lie in April were only available on Blu Ray. Things do seem to look a bit better, but the thing that is great is that video windows not so small any more on my new Surface Book.