Japanese Conversation

Queenie

I'd like to start learning how to speak conversational Japanese. Is there anybody else here who has had some experience with this? Do you have any advice? Are you somebody who would also like to try some conversations? Reply here. :3

• Friendly 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Queenie : I'm sorry for posting so late. I've been super distracted lately. Job issues and having to find one again before my visa expires...again. -_-

That aside, my Japanese still isn't that good because I got trapped in the "English bubble". If has gotten better and I understand a bit more but I still have trouble speaking and expressing my thoughts in Japanese. I also have trouble with listening...but I also have that problem in my native tongue (English) too...so yeah.

I recommend checking out japanguide.com. You can put up an ad to find an online pal to speak with to practice Japanese. It's like a language exchange. You could set up a time to talk through something like Skype.

There's another thing you can use but I can't recall it right off. I'll have to look for it.

Edited by Guest

• 11 months later...
@Queenie : I recommend checking out japanguide.com. You can put up an ad to find an online pal to speak with to practice Japanese. It's like a language exchange. You could set up a time to talk through something like Skype.

This is the best thing you can probably do. I haven't spoken Japanese in a very long time due to my job and other real life stuff (I still suck at the language though), but you need to get a Japanese language partner, the sooner the better. If you don't feel comfortable (and trust me, at the beginning you won't) with actually speaking Japanese, you can still stick to just texting them. Funny thing is, rather than just having a simple language exchange, try to befriend them instead. That made things much easier for me and I didn't have to feel so awkward. Learning through an actual person is and will always be beneficial. Nobody can tell me that they learned Japanese through solely watching anime, that's complete bullshit.

Aside from japanguide.com, I can somewhat recommend interpals.net, but the spam you might be getting can get quite annoying...

I thought I would add this website to the list of recommendations: lang-8.com

You can write journal entries in Japanese and get corrected by native Japanese speakers. It's a great way to meet Japanese people too, and I think you can even post audio in your journals, so you can practise speaking. Just be sure to correct their English in return to say "thank you!"

lang-8.com is also a great study method, I agree. But keep in mind that you also need a basic level in Japanese. To know some Kanji does come in handy. Only use this website if you know some Japanese already.

• 4 weeks later...

Finding someone to talk with is the most important I'd say, otherwise not having that type of practice can have you forget some things.

It seems everyone already gave websites, so I'll say if you have a smartphone download some Japanese apps for on the go!

Also perhaps buying actual Japanese textbooks to study from as well.