What do you think of maid cafes?

Optic

So during one of my trips in Japan, and out of pure curiosity me and my brother went to a maid cafe.

Yes, we were handed flyers by the cute Japanese maids on the street corners. >_<

I know there are so many maid cafes out there so if you ever go to one, your experience will vary depending on how good the operator is.

The one we went to was Maidreamin Akihabara.

In a nutshell:

• Overpriced, average food (see packages below!)
  • Distorted speakers!
  • Very enthusiastic and energetic staff that will address you how you want, as well as sing and dance on stage.

Oh and the package we got also included a clear file and a photo taken together with our maid. Would I go again? Probably not. But it was a fun experience. :angel:

Here's the menu if anyone is curious:

maidreamin-akihabara-menu.thumb.jpg.a84aea014d7fc85ae25d758775ed0b68.jpg

Have you ever been to a maid cafe? If so what was your experience like?

If you haven't been, would you consider going to one?

• Like 2

It's just cute girls wearing over the top dresses.

I get the cute girls part and the nice personality, conversation kind of thing, but other then that I always find them overpriced and pointless.

Maybe because I'm more into sexy type of girls over cute ones, but hey, that's just me.

So, no. I wouldn't go the a maid cafe, if I were to ever go to Japan, which I doubt.

Also, majority of western pseudo-attempt at maid cafes are pretty bad from my experience.

Like bunny-san I will say I think I would feel a little creepy in a maid cafe. xD

Although I guess I would have to experience it if I was on vacation in Japan. It would not be on the top of my list but I would try it I guess. lol

• Like 1

They're kinda creepy lol.

I went to the maid/butler cafe at a con once with a friend. We played jenga :b My friend lost one and had to be 'punished' (literally just her learning a dance), then the butler lost and had to sing us a song or something. It was fun but yeah, it was a really weird vibe in there :b

I got roped into going to one last year. My first time. I never actually thought about visiting one before. I was the only female of the group too. lol. Anyway, I found it slightly annoying because of how childish the women have to act and speak to entertain the male customers. Comparing it to a butler cafe, the guys all acted like mature, sophisticated adults.

Anyway, the actual girls at the cafe were adorable and nice and they were fauning over one of the characters on my bag abd then we started talking about Pokemon. lol. Think it was my Hello Kitty keychain they spotted or my phonecase.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding all the comments above about it being creepy - I feel this would be the case if you were visiting everyday as a regular customer for regular meals. :P It's all in good fun.

I believe there is a variant called tsundere cafes... now THAT would be interesting...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I went to one in Britain. It was one of the most funny experiences I have ever had. I went with three Friends of mine.

Well, The food was not the best, but the maid we had was a lovely girl. We talked for ages about Danganronpa, which annoyed my friends because they found it awkward xD

Anyway, one of my friends was sat there looking really awkward, and one of the other maids in cat ears saw him, so as a joke she went over to him and purred. He stood up and just said no and walked out xD

All I can say, Is that i am now good friends with Sharon and Elizabeth. They are the only people I know IRl who actually like anime stuff :-P

• Informative 1

• 2 months later...

My brother lives in NY and had mentioned a maid cafe there. I'm sure it's not the same kind of experience that you would get in Japan, but interesting. He said that it was comical if anything and they had pretty decent food and drink. He said he wanted me to visit it whenever I came to see him, but I actually think it might be closed now?

If anything, I feel like it would be interesting to check out ^-^ I'm not opposed to it, though I do feel like it would be a bit out of my comfort zone xD

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I would maybe visit a maid cafe with friends otherwise it's a tough risk to go alone, probably would go fully red around my cheeks. I usually am a shy person when it comes to cute looking girls (wearing maid clothes + bunny ears) and some people interpret this in a wrong direction by touching the girls or whatsoever. Despite the fact the majority of the people who are visiting a maid cafe are most likely males so perhaps a one life-time visit to make my own experiences regarding maid cafe's in general.

Edited by Guest

Never been to one before. Seems like it would have better customer service than more than half the dining locations I've been to.

I still don't know if I would visit one though. Would be kinda embarrassing, even if nobody would recognize me there. Then again, I could think of worse things than being served food by lovely girls in maid costumes. I could certainly see the appeal.

If someone wanted me to go with them, I would. However, I wouldn't go out of my way to go to one.

This about sums up my opinion, I think. It be amusing to do as a one-time thing, but... yeah. :D

• Like 2

I haven't been to one for quite some time. lel.

I have to say, while the girls are lovely indeed, the food was that lovely to the taste.

It was... okay? But I would go if someone would pay me to go.

My effort comes with a price.

jk

• 3 weeks later...

I've never been to one but it seems fun! I don't think I'd go on the regular because it's expensive but I would definitely go more than once if I had the chance and/or it becomes very convenient.

I'd most likely go to one if I were to take a trip to Japan.

I personally always wanted to work at a café/restaurant and wear a made outfit just because I thought it was cute ...

• Agree 1

I have never been to a maid cafe! However, I'm totally open to going to one, hahaha.

I don't think that I'd find the experience very awkward. Instead, I think I'd just bullshit around with the staff and have a good time.

To me, it seems like it would be akin to visiting a theme park or something like that - only with overpriced food.

I personally always wanted to work at a café/restaurant and wear a made outfit just because I thought it was cute ...

Omg, I think I would want to do something like this, but... Probably only for a day, and... Actually, nvm. I'm sure at least one customer would make me want to jump off a bridge, ahhaha.

Edited by Guest
  • Winner 1