What do you think of gift cards?

Optic

No doubt you've stumbled upon gift cards.

Perhaps you were given one, or gave one out to a friend or family member recently.

Some of you may be thinking:

Why would I give a gift card when I can give cash instead to someone?

Well consider a greeting card. A gift card coming out of the card as you open it is probably better than a wad of cash dropping out. And some gift cards can be personalised.

I like receiving gift cards for retailers that sell what I want. So in this case JB Hi-Fi. Even ones for hardware stores like Bunnings Warehouse (for those in the US, similar to Home Depot) or even IKEA would be useful. My only gripe though is expiry dates vary, but shouldnt be a problem.

So with this in mind...

What do you think about gift cards? Do you like the idea of them or do you dislike them? And why?

I'm not very familiar with gift cards since they're not used much around here but still, I'm pretty sure I prefer cash so I don't think I'd enjoy being given one. I can't really explain it but I always felt a strong aversion towards cards of any kind (like credit cards etc). They just don't feel right....

Edited by Guest

I like gift cards and I think they are a really good idea. I like getting them for new restaurants I have not tried because it forces me to try something new. xP

It's hard to deny cash but I feel like when giving someone something a gift card is a little more personal as well.

I like gift cards because if I get money it gets mixed with my regular money and I end up buying normal stuff with it rather than a gift.

Unless it's a decent sum of money and I'm saving towards something, then money is better.

Just giving money may seem more practical, and seem more honest.

and gift cards are novelty item, holding sentimental values.

But let's be real here, who cares about feelings and such, psh.

Yet It's traditional and a social convention. So, it's kind of expected. It's kind of awkward just receiving money without a gift card.

Maybe It'll feel different if i'm the one giving out the gift cards, not receiving it.

(I'm not old enough, let alone responsible to be the one giving out money to relatives)

Edited by Guest

I much prefer giving or receiving gift cards than cash. Cash to me doesn't really feel like an actual gift. I already have plenty of cash, and any cash given as a gift just gets thrown in with all the rest. I keep a portion of cash locked away in my safe in case I would suddenly need it for an emergency or something and a small amount of it in my wallet, but 95% of my purchases are made with a credit card, meaning in all likelihood I'll never use the actual cash they gave me. Even if I do, I won't really be able to distinguish or appreciate it from the rest if my money. With a gift card, it's something I will actually use and it's distinguished from my other money, so I can specifically appreciate it and feel grateful for the experience.

Edited by Guest

Why would I give a gift card when I can give cash instead to someone?

I would choose to give a gift card to some people instead of cash, because it shows that you have gone through the effort to buy something for someone, if you just give them cash it feels like you don't go as far to think of what to get for them.

What do you think about gift cards? Do you like the idea of them or do you dislike them? And why?

Personally, I'd prefer to be given cash, but it contradicts my first post. Cash is just easier because you have no restrictions unless you get a gift card for a place that you know that the person will always shop at

• 5 months later...

I actually really dislike giving gift cards as a gift or receiving them.

I mean, they're practical, especially in this day and age. But I just feel like they lack heart as a gift. Sure, someone might not need something you get them, or it might not be necessarily applicable. But I feel like a gift should have more thought than "Oh, hey. Here's some money. Get what you want." Gift giving has gotten really lazy. '_'

But sure, they can be helpful. And it is more thoughtful than handing cash.

Here is my take on a gift card.

Imagine walking into a store, and showing the person at the counter a 20 pound note.

" yes, I'm looking for a gift for someone quickly, so I would like to exchange this currency, which I could use anywhere else, for a card that van only be used in this specific store, which also has a time limit on it."

Gift cards are such a dumb idea. Just give someone the actual money xD

And for all of you saying that a gift card shows effort in a gift, no it doesn't!

To me, it kind of shows you that the person who got you a GIFT CARD put no effort in at all xD

Who buys someone a gift card!?!?!?!?! Its just a really really dumb invention

Great, I found my 3rd hated item xD

I personally love getting gift cards. If I'm given cash, then I'll just treat it like the rest of my money and use it for normal everyday things.

With a gift card, I'm actually willing to treat myself to something I wouldn't normally get, and that's exciting for me.

Also, I notice a lot of people mentioning expiry dates, none of you must be in Canada then, because gift cards in Canada aren't even allowed to have expiry dates.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I prefer just getting the money since I can just use it anywhere but gift cards are pretty nice especially if its a store I like.