Discovering new music

Optic

Your main method of discovering new music?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Your main method of discovering new music?

• Radio
    • TV show, movies
    • YouTube / other video sharing service
    • Spotify / iTunes / other audio streaming service
    • Other

What method are you mostly using to discover new music these days?

Personally for me it's from TV shows, movies, etc. as I'm more of a Soundtrack fan. The radio comes a close second particularly as digital radio is slowly becoming more popular here in Australia. I never did quite get hooked on the audio streaming services such as Spotify.

How about you?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Movies or Tv shows, although recently i've been tuning in to the radio stations but I couldn't always catch the title of the song. Which most of the time, the app Soundhound comes in very handy for me

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 10 months later...

YouTube definitely has changed the way people share music (for their quick fix) xD Especially for music videos. I remember how hard it used to be to find official music videos, on-demand so thumbs up to them for that. :)

Movies or Tv shows, although recently i've been tuning in to the radio stations but I couldn't always catch the title of the song. Which most of the time, the app Soundhound comes in very handy for me

Those apps are amazing. However, I only listen to the radio when I'm driving and well... trying to activate Shazam (similar to Soundhound) whilst driving could potentially lead to a big fine here in Perth xD Not to mention the obvious danger of doing that. Need to find a better way to activate that..

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Jupiter
What method are you mostly using to discover new music these days?

Personally for me it's from TV shows, movies, etc. as I'm more of a Soundtrack fan. The radio comes a close second particularly as digital radio is slowly becoming more popular here in Australia. I never did quite get hooked on the audio streaming services such as Spotify.

How about you?

Through movies and television shows mainly. Also on Youtube.

• 1 month later...

I discover a lot of new music or songs mainly on Youtube tho since I visit Youtube a lot everyday. And sometimes also I get updated by my cousins who really loves to listen to new songs. So that's mainly how I get by.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost exclusively use Soundcloud. The recommendations/related tracks are very accurate. I've found plenty of artists though it. Online radio events/shows that include DJ sets can sometimes help me find a new artist, if one of their tracks is featured in a mix and I end up liking it. Just hopefully the DJ actually bothers to post the tracklist.

Every Comiket/M3 I check the upload spreadsheets and download anything in the genres that I enjoy and give it a listen. Because many of the albums released are just compilation albums, it gives me a chance to find new artists, as well. It's nice.

• 7 months later...

I normally use Pandora since it has a great system of creating a playlist based on how many times someone liked or disliked songs, so I find new bands that way.

Sometimes I go on youtube and find a band I like and follow the suggested video section. Really good way in discovering more obscured bands!

• 3 weeks later...

I actually learn't songs through my dad which explains for my very British taste of music but now I usually learn new songs through spotify or youtube.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

YouTube mostly. I would just type in my favorite genre and search from there. I find music-sharing sites like Dubtrack.fm and Plug.DJ to be helpful too, particularly Dubtrack, since there is a wide variety of music fans over there playing many different kinds of music that you're bound to run into something you'd like.

Pretty much completely YouTube, as recomendations on the right hand side. They're often full albums, and I'll listen to one if it looks good, and if it is good, well then I'm more likely to look through their channel and find more..

That's how I do it :3

Generally I use youtube when I am on my computer. I will listen to one song, and then it will turn into a new song and then another and another and then I end up discovering things I have no listened to before. I've been doing this for years, but recently spotify. I will turn on a certain station and then just listen to what it has to offer.

• Agree 1