What anime are you watching now?

Optic

Currently watching season 2 of the melancholy haruhi suzumiya. I know this may sound like a bad idea but I will try to watch all the episode of the endless eight.

Edited by Soramee_
  • Wow 1

I've just started re-watching Sailor Moon series 1.

This is @sunshine's fault for starting a topic elsewhere on AF which got me thinking that I hadn't watched it for a long time and perhaps it's time I did. 😃

• Funny 1

Finished Skeleton Knight in Another World last night. Certainly not the most original or well executed series, but definitely entertaining 😁 Arc is a very likable  protag (heart of gold 💛, head of bone 💀 :P ). Ariane is a bit fanservicey but capable of being badass scary (particularly in the final ep) & makes a good traveling companion/potential romantic interest for him. Ponta & Chiyome are both cute as heck. And Goemon is a perfect “bro” for him 💪 Also equal parts amusing & interesting how Arc’s “low-profile good deeds” are having a much greater impact on the fantasy world’s  political landscape than he realizes. Only complaint is that the series’ opening scene (an attempted rape by a group of brigands) was excessive (made me uncomfortable & probably scared some viewers off). But other than that, I’m actually hoping it gets another season 🤞

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

Finished Skeleton Knight in Another World last night. Certainly not the most original or well executed series, but definitely entertaining 😁 Arc is a very likable  protag (heart of gold 💛, head of bone 💀 :P ). Ariane is a bit fanservicey but capable of being badass scary (particularly in the final ep) & makes a good traveling companion/potential romantic interest for him. Ponta & Chiyome are both cute as heck. And Goemon is a perfect “bro” for him 💪 Also equal parts amusing & interesting how Arc’s “low-profile good deeds” are having a much greater impact on the fantasy world’s  political landscape than he realizes. Only complaint is that the series’ opening scene (an attempted rape by a group of brigands) was excessive (made me uncomfortable & probably scared some viewers off). But other than that, I’m actually hoping it gets another season 🤞

Reminds me of Goblin Slayer. I remember when I first watched that, the first episode completely threw me. The goblins raping and murdering the Priestess companions was so messed up, and then the genocide of Goblin children by the titular Goblin Slayer. For a first episode that was really unpleasant. The rest of the show was pretty enjoyable, so I guess Skeleton Knight is sort of the Iseaki version of that. As far as opening episodes being sort of over the top edgy for the sake of shock value?

Not sure what they gain, as it seems your more likely to lose interested people. Keep the dark shit for later on, so all the invested time and sunk cost fallacy kicks in. By the time you get to the end of Wolfs Rain, or the Chimera Ant arc you can't back out by then.

Also I started Gintama and Yu Yu Hakusho. Gintama watch order is a little messy so I might need to look into what order to watch it in, as there several seasons, movies and OVAs and I don't want to miss anything crucial as I heard that it a comedy which sets a lot of stuff up early such as long running gags (a little like RVB from back in the day). As for Hakusho, now that I finished HxH and all its films and with no confirmed date for anything else HxH related beyond the Manga coming out from Hiatus this might be the perfect time to watch Togashi other series. 

I heard it good, and considering I ended up rating HxH a 10/10, I can't imagine Hakusho is bad by any means. 

@MediaConsumesMe Goblin Slayer is actually a decent parallel for the scene in question, but the series itself thereafter is more humorous than Goblin Slayer was. As to what  they were trying to accomplish with it, the scene ends with Arc cutting the brigands in half before they can actually follow through with their intentions & Arc musing to himself that even though this is the first time he’s actually killed people (he’s an isekaid fantasy rpg otaku) he doesn’t feel guilty about it. So I think the point was for the viewer to feel that the baddies were such disgusting sleazeballs that Arc cutting them down without remorse didn’t  make him cold blooded or amoral. That he’s still “heroic” and good natured. But I still feel it was excessive not only because the scene itself was pretty detailed, but also it plays  out again later in the ep, albeit from a slightly different POV. Which gives the impression that they also went for a “shock value” opening. There are other “dark” moments, but they’re more discreetly presented. Also the episode advisory originally appeared as the scene actually played out instead of ahead of time (little too late for a warning 😅, which is why I try to warn people in advance for anyone interested in checking the series out to give them an idea what to expect.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Informative 1

Watched the preview for RWBY: Ice Queendom. So, going into it I was aware of the original series & had seen some memes based off it but had never actually watched the original.  As far as the preview it definitely put it’s self in my wheelhouse by referencing various myths, legends & literary works of fantasy. And in general I found the characters likable, even when they didn’t particularly act that way (yeah, I don’t really understand that either 😂). But the narrative was extremely choppy with it being obvious scenes were being shortened or skipped over. And the animation was inconsistent (some scenes were impressive, but others sloppy or subpar). After it was over, I did a quick bit of  research & from what I gather this preview is essentially a condensed recap of the the original series 1st (and possibly 2nd) season which serves as the prologue to a previously untold storyline (this new series). Despite the blatant shortcomings, my curiosity is sufficiently piqued to watch more, but I want to watch the original episodes that were summarized first to put things into better context.

Edited by Ohayotaku

Today was the end of Spy x Family’s 1st cour, so now we wait for October. Glad that it was more of a fun episode & didn’t end on a cliffhanger. Though the trailer for the 2nd cour does deliver the hype 🤩

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

Today was the end of Spy x Family’s 1st cour, so now we wait for October. Glad that it was more of a fun episode & didn’t end on a cliffhanger. Though the trailer for the 2nd cour does deliver the hype 🤩

Loid saying "Wow!" after Yor kicked the crap outta that guy was the best part in the whole episode. 🤣

2 hours ago, viruxx said:

Loid saying "Wow!" after Yor kicked the crap outta that guy was the best part in the whole episode. 🤣

not even
to me the best part so far was Yor's drunkin reaction to Loid about to give here her first kiss
priceless

• Like 1

Finished Science Fell in Love season 2 😐🤨😲😬🤢🤮😵 Seriously, WTF???!!! I really enjoyed season 1, but this was a disappointment from the start. Then things went off the rails at the end of episode 11 & the final episode just got cringier & cringier. It was really a struggle to make it to the end

I can only imagine their intent was to comment on how victims of sexual assault frequently blame themselves, but the way it played out seemed more like a caricature & and they kept trying to stick to the uber scientific humor through the whole ordeal. Certainly NOT how to address such a weighty topic IMO. And even after that was thankfully over, the ending was … no, just no

This is one of those rare instances where I actually regret watching a show. Even if you’re a fan of the original (I am), I strongly recommend considering it the end of the story & not bothering with season 2. Sorry for getting ranty, but 🤬

49 minutes ago, Wodahs said:

to me the best part so far was Yor's drunkin reaction to Loid about to give here her first kiss
priceless

Probably funniest moment of the whole 1st cour, though it was a couple weeks ago. 

As to this week’s ep

3 hours ago, viruxx said:

Loid saying "Wow!" after Yor kicked the crap outta that guy was the best part in the whole episode

I actually find it funnier that Anya essentially sicced Yor on the guy by latching onto him “Mama, I’m being kidnapped” Funniest to me though was Anya referring to Loid & Yor as her “lackeys”. Considering how the episode ended, I ‘d say it’s a spot on assessment 😂

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ohayotaku said:

I actually find it funnier that Anya essentially sicced Yor on the guy by latching onto him “Mama, I’m being kidnapped” Funniest to me though was Anya referring to Loid & Yor as her “lackeys”. Considering how the episode ended, I ‘d say it’s a spot on assessment 😂

I felt so bad for poor Anya when Loid stopped her from going in his room. I mean, I know he had good reason to stop her, but still....

Ahh well, at least she had them both eating out of the palm of her hand afterwards. "Lackeys" indeed. 😄

• Like 1

Wrapping up my Spring season simulcasts:

still need to watch Kaguya-sama 3’s final ep.

need to catch-up on Birdie Wing (final episode Tuesday)

final episode of Shield Hero 2 wednesday

final episode of The Demon Girl Next Door 2 on Thursday

and resumed Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie, but not sure if I’ll finish

3 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

I will try to binge all the anime I wanted to watch from this season but didn't have the time because of final exam. There are a lot....

I wanted to comment something like "you can do it!" But pace yourself okay? 🙂👍

As for me, gah! Now I remember why I dropped TG in the first place. Shuu Tsukiyama was such a creeper. Thank goodness Nishiki and Kimi make it somewhat bearable. 

• Funny 2

Yesterday I finished Stars-Align. It was really good with some really deep themes...

Spoiler

Then after a mainly good ending and the credits, it came back for real endings that made things really sad, and bad... wasn't prepared for that...

This morning I started Gurazeni: Money Pitch. (As I'm not a sports person but somehow love sports anime.) It's too early to comment on it yet though because I get distracted easily so I tend to only watch subbed shows while I'm eating, so I watch them slowly. Probably sometime today I'll start a new dub too, but dunno what yet.

Edited by Takatofan1986

1 hour ago, Takatofan1986 said:

This morning I started Gurazeni: Money Pitch. (As I'm not a sports person but somehow love sports anime.) It's too early to comment on it yet though

I watched both seasons of it. It’s not your typical sports anime as it centers on adult players instead of highschool or collegiate. It’s also not very action oriented, focusing more on the mechanics & strategic elements of the game but also slice of life. The drama & interactions can be different too, with a focus on trying to build a career in baseball (making the most of the opportunities that come your way, trying to minimize injuries & keeping in mind that your career as an active player is likely short). There are instances of young talented characters who cut there careers short with stupid mistakes, but also veterans with a long career who never actually made much of an impact. There is humor in it too, though.  I can see a lot of people getting bored of it or being turned off by the artstyle, but as someone with an interest in baseball I found it enjoyable enough & definitely a departure from the norm.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

I watched both seasons of it. It’s not your typical sports anime as it centers on adult players instead of highschool or collegiate. It’s also not very action oriented, focusing more on the mechanics & strategic elements of the game but also slice of life. The drama & interactions can be different too, with a focus on trying to build a career in baseball (making the most of the opportunities that come your way, trying to minimize injuries & keeping in mind that your career as an active player is likely short). There are instances of young talented characters who cut there careers short with stupid mistakes, but also veterans with a long career who never actually made much of an impact. There is humor in it too, though.  I can see a lot of people getting bored of it or being turned off by the artstyle, but as someone with an interest in baseball I found it enjoyable enough & definitely a departure from the norm.

I've only watched half of the first ep so far (Like I said, distracted easily.) But I can already tell its going to be different. We'll see how it goes, I really don't care much about baseball and you say its more focused on the mechanics of the game, but also humor and slice of life which are also things I love. So it could go either way. :).