What anime are you watching now?

Optic

Finished Spriggan 2022 & enjoyed it quite a bit. Hope it gets a season 2 since it ended on a bit of a cliffhanger.

Fate Grand Carnival specials. Was a bit apprehensive I wouldn’t get all the jokes since I’ve never actually played FGO. But having watched Absolute Demonic Front Babylon & my penchant for myths and legends helped me pick up on most references. Also recognized Caster from Fate Zero & his obsession with Jeanne D’arc. Funniest moments were Ereshkigal‘s vtuber battle & Orion repeatedly getting skewered by Artemis. Could’ve done without

Lancelot cosplaying as Fou though 

😅 

First 2 eps of My Isekai Life. Doubt I’ll continue this one as it was just too generic & felt like everything moved in slow motion. 

Edited by Ohayotaku

I started watching Ranking of Kings, and I was really loving it, such an interesting story... but then it started to get violent/bloody, which I don't like. I kept just trying to look away, thinking it wouldn't stay that way, but after a few eps it seems like it. I'm sad to drop it but....

Spoiler

To keep watching a demonic figure slash peoples wrists and legs just isn't for me. - even if it wasn't demonic, but that doesn't help.

4 hours ago, Takatofan1986 said:

I started watching Ranking of Kings, and I was really loving it, such an interesting story... but then it started to get violent/bloody, which I don't like. I kept just trying to look away, thinking it wouldn't stay that way, but after a few eps it seems like it. I'm sad to drop it but....

Reveal hidden contents

To keep watching a demonic figure slash peoples wrists and legs just isn't for me. - even if it wasn't demonic, but that doesn't help.

I have mixed feelings about that one. I liked how it tried to replicate the tone of a lot of the old legends & folk/fairy tales (which are frequently pretty dark & violent in their original versions). But I felt it tried too hard to be morally ambiguous at times & had a number of issues with it’s “conclusion”. I can appreciate & respect what they set out to do, but not so happy about how it ended.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ohayotaku said:

I have mixed feelings about that one. I liked how it tried to replicate the tone of a lot of the old legends & folk/fairy tales (which are frequently pretty dark & violent in their original versions). But I felt it tried too hard to be morally ambiguous at times & had a number of issues with it’s “conclusion”. I can appreciate & respect what they set out to do, but not so happy about how it ended.

Thanks, this makes me feel better about dropping it!

Finished the 1st season of Classroom of the Elite and thought it was decent. Watched the 1st ep of the 2nd season & thought this next test was kinda hard to follow. Also, not a fan of the new artstyle, definitely preferred the old one. Will stick with it awhile at least though.

18 minutes ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

I've also been scoping out Luna Legend Tsukihime. I know that it based of the Visual Novel Tsukihime. But that all I know, however it is type moon so might be worth a watch. 

I watched that one a long time ago but don’t remember any specifics (other than most comments I saw from people familiar with the VN thought it was lacking).

Edited by Ohayotaku

7 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

I watched that one a long time ago but don’t remember any specifics (other than most comments I saw from people familiar with the VN thought it was lacking).

I think now a days there's a meme or saying which goes 'there is no Tsukihime anime'. 

So I can imagine from that it not very popular. However I like to judge shows for myself, I mean Wolf's Rain, Blue Gender and even Fate Stay Night (the Studio Deen one) all have there detractors but I liked those shows.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Wodahs said:

have watched a few new season animes this week and so far am liking what ive watched
tho just watched the first ep of Call of the Night (Yofukashi no Uta)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/50346
tho im currently not sure how i feel bout this one yet it kept reminding me (and im not sure why) of flcl/fooly cooly

Angsty & naive male MC in his early teens crosses paths with a freespirited & potentially dangerous “older” woman. Nazuna isn’t as manic as Haruko, but still pretty brazen. Appearance wise she reminds me of MHA’s Himiko Toga. I enjoyed the first ep quite a bit.

Edited by Ohayotaku

35 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

Angsty & naive male MC in his early teens crosses paths with a freespirited & potentially dangerous “older” woman.

yeh i did see the resemblance in the story line but
watching it i feel what made me think more of fclc was the art work similarity and the i feel they delivered the scenes in the same silly popping format way too
its hard to find the right words and express right what im trying to say

ok the first ep ones ive watched do far for this season and think ill be running with are and in no particular order
Kumichou Musume to Sewagakari
Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World
Overlord IV
YUREI DECO
Made In Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun
Vermeil in Gold
My Isekai Life: I Gained a Second Character Class and Became the Strongest Sage in the World!
Prima Doll
and at this stage
Call of the Night
tho there are few more first eps i havent yet watched that are out and i think ill be adding to this list as son as i have more time to see them

4 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

Going to give Shikimori & Komi season 2 one more try before moving on from the spring season of shows.

i tried
i gave up
im not ready to retry yet
lol

For the summer season (so far)

Definitely: Made in Abyss 2 • Overlord IV (binge) • Shadows House 2 • Call of the Night • Lucifer & the Biscuit Hammer • Danmachi 4

Maybe: Yakuza Guide to Babysitting • RWBY: Ice Queendom • Yurei Deco • Phantom of the Idol • Lycoris Recoil • Classroom of the Elite 2 • Vermeil in Gold • Chimimo • Black Summoner • Extreme Hearts • Stepsister/Ex • Shine on Bakamatsu Bad Boys

Doubtful: Luminous Witches • Parallel World Pharmacy

Nope: Engage Kiss • Dropkick on my Devil X • My Isekai Life • Tokyo Mew Mew New • Harem in the Labyrinth

Edited by Ohayotaku

I've now finished Sailor Moon R and I continue to be impressed with well this 29 year old stands up. It has a good cast of main characters each with their own individual personalties the supporting characters are also good.  The plots and storylines are also good, although I think that the Doom Tree arc was just a bit implausible, I mean, why would a couple of aliens who are out to steal energy from people bother to enrol in a junior high school?

The Black Moon arc was far superior with a well thought out and developed storyline. Years ago I read an article in a film magazine that said the when it comes to Sci-Fi films the audience and the film maker enter into a contract whereby the audience go to see something that is impossible and the film maker presents the story in a way that makes it appear to to be true.  A suspension of disbelief where the audience expects to be basically 'tricked' into believing what is on the screen is real, and woe betide any film maker who does anything to break that suspension of disbelief.

The same applies to Magical Girl shows, the Magical Girls have to be believable and, at least to my mind, the Sailor Moon series succeeds in doing this.

16 hours ago, Wodahs said:

ok the first ep ones ive watched do far for this season and think ill be running with are and in no particular order
Kumichou Musume to Sewagakari
Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World
Overlord IV
YUREI DECO
Made In Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun
Vermeil in Gold
My Isekai Life: I Gained a Second Character Class and Became the Strongest Sage in the World!
Prima Doll
and at this stage
Call of the Night
tho there are few more first eps i havent yet watched that are out and i think ill be adding to this list as son as i have more time to see them

forgot to add
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
but dang they give a re episode then make us wait a few more weeks for first official episode
and ill add to the list
Black Summoner

• Agree 1

Dr. Stone: Ryusui (special episode) now THAT’s how you build hype for a new season 🤩 Too bad  that won’t be until next year 😭 It really did an excellent job of reacquainting viewers with the characters, not with a recap but a new adventure that gave them an opportunity to show off. And of course introducing the new character who seems to be pivotal to the new arc. They may have tried to pack a bit too much into a double-length episode, but still one of the best transitional episodes I remember watching.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1