What anime are you watching now?

Optic

I gave the first episode of Call of the Night a go. Too early to tell if I'll like it or not as far as the plot/character development/etc. goes, but from what I have seen, I'm willing to give a few more episodes a watch and see what direction it takes. I do like the color schemes they utilize in scenes throughout the episode. Almost has that 1980s neon-pink/purple feel to it.

Not entirely sure where I should go from here. Maybe Shield Hero, Vinland Saga or Overlord. Something I can potentially binge.

• Like 1

Been a while since I last posted here so... lets begin.

First the big two shows 

Dragon Ball - Currently Watching 
Galaxy Express 999 - Currently Watching 

Completed:

Trigun
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Made In Abyss 

Made In Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul 
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory - Re-watched with a friend  
A.I. City - Kind of just stumbled into that one 

Upcoming or on my more immediate plan to watch list;

Payrate the Maxim 
Bubblegum Crisis 
Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway Flash

See the source image

Who needs IRL friends when I have anime; seriously though someone help me I think I'm an addict; for retro anime

• Like 4

9 hours ago, MarathonGuy1337 said:

Who needs IRL friends when I have anime; seriously though someone help me I think I'm an addict; for retro anime

Ah. Galaxy Express 999. I've only seen a few chapters of the manga, but enough to recognise the homage to the series in one of the episodes of Aria.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that there is no cure for addiction to retro anime. The only thing you can do is sit back, watch and enjoy.  Many of my favourite anime are over 20 years old and the one I'm currently watching is almost 30 years old.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 10:36 PM, MarathonGuy1337 said:

Been a while since I last posted here so... lets begin.

First the big two shows 

Dragon Ball - Currently Watching 

Completed:

Trigun
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Made In Abyss 

Made In Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul 
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory - Re-watched with a friend  
A.I. City - Kind of just stumbled into that one 

Upcoming or on my more immediate plan to watch list;

Payrate the Maxim 
Bubblegum Crisis 
Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway Flash

See the source image

You won't be disappointed by Parasyte, the show is awesome and one of Madhouse's best series. IMO. 

On 7/10/2022 at 10:03 AM, Ohayotaku said:

Dr. Stone: Ryusui (special episode) now THAT’s how you build hype for a new season 🤩 Too bad  that won’t be until next year 😭 It really did an excellent job of reacquainting viewers with the characters, not with a recap but a new adventure that gave them an opportunity to show off. And of course introducing the new character who seems to be pivotal to the new arc. They may have tried to pack a bit too much into a double-length episode, but still one of the best transitional episodes I remember watching.

I was a bit surprised. Now I am a picky anime person so I haven't seen a lot of series that have these types of specials, but I feel like casual anime fans, especially later on, might miss the specials entirely. But like the My Hero Academia specials from a couple years ago didn't have any pivotal information, or add any new characters, and from what I've seen, most anime movies seem to either be non cannon, or not do anything that's important to the show. (Like a new character won't be introduced there.)

So I'm really surprised that it really seemed to be actually picking up where the story left off, with important stuff going on, and not only that, but in the middle of trying to find oil and other things.

For me it was awesome, and I loved it. Just surprised.

• Like 1

I started watching Overlord from scratch. Only 6 eps in and I'm hooked! This is my current main show.

In the background, I'm watching Call of the Night when new eps drop.

Considering re-watching Spy x Family dubbed.

• Like 2

Welp, I’ve found my weekly dose of cute spacer.png

spacer.png

which is very important since I am also watching Made in Abyss 2 & will be starting a rewatch of Overlord.

Edited by Ohayotaku

I finished watching Sailor Moon S this evening. I think that 'S' is the best out of the five series. I like the way the story slowly unfolds as the full extent of the Death Busters plan is revealed. I also think the tension between the inner and outer Sailors is well portrayed.

1 hour ago, efaardvark said:

Just started Shadows House.  Heard it had a disappointing ending but keeping an open mind. 

The anime or the manga ending? Some people complained that the anime changed some things for the season 1 finale since it was uncertain if it would get a 2nd season.  Ep 2 of the 2nd season just aired & from what I’ve heard people are saying it’s pretty much back on track. I personally am not familiar with the manga but am enjoying the anime so far.

well just finished the second ep's of
Lycoris Recoil and The Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting and am enjoying them
but at half way thru the second ep of
Call of the Night ans so ready to drop it

3 hours ago, Wodahs said:

but at half way thru the second ep of
Call of the Night ans so ready to drop it

It certainly didn’t break any new ground, but the note it ended on makes me hopeful next week will be more interesting.

Today I started watching Sailor Moon Stars, I decided to skip Super S because in my view it's the worst of the five series.

The first six episodes are quite dramatic and it's good to see Sailor Saturn getting some screen time, that Silence Glaive of hers  looks a fearsome weapon.

Just finished Komi Can’t Communicate season 2. A marked improvement over season 1, but I still consider it overhyped.

And with that, I’m finished with the Spring 2022 season 

Edited by Ohayotaku

38 minutes ago, Takatofan1986 said:

But I thought I read somewhere about a plot twist at the end of the season and I didn't see one, so I'm not sure if I missed something. XD

Not sure about a plot twist but the trailer for the 2nd cour made it look like things will be more action packed. Plus, I think it was the next to last episode that teased

that just like the rest of the family, the Forger’s dog will be more than he seems on the surface.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

Started watching Utawarerumono (2006). I’d been curious about it for awhile & a new season apparently just started.  There was actually a meme back in the day making fun of westerners trying to pronounce it’s name spacer.png Underwater Ray Romano 🤣

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Funny 1

Found the thumbnail for Angolmois: Record of Mongol Invasion while browsing CR a while back, read the synopsis, and I'm interested in giving it a watch. It's a story based off the invasion of Tsushima Island by the Mongol Empire in 1274. I'm not exactly a history buff, but every once in a while, I find particular historical events to be fascinating. This is one of them. Might try to squeeze an ep or 2 in between Overlord eps.

• Like 1

Watched the debut ep of Ojisan Isekai (Uncle From Another World). First impression is that it’s going to be a reverse isekai parody with some dark humor. Found it pretty entertaining, but not going to keep my Netflix account active to watch one episode a week (especially with the simulcasts on CR & Hidive and a planned Overlord rewatch) After next weeks ep, will binge the rest in October.

Sidenote: As a fellow fan of Sega gaming consoles, I feel Ojisan’s pain 😂 (some cool references in the OP) 

Edited by Ohayotaku

This evening I finished Sailor Moon Stars.
It's quite a good series with a rather different storyline in that the enemy is very different to the enemies in the other series. The Sailor Starlights were an interesting addition and gave the story a different focus than the earlier series, the one issue I have with that is that sometimes it looked like Sailor Moon's team had their attack powers scaled back a bit to make it look like the Starlights were more powerful.
I also thought that while there weren't any obvious filler episodes several of the episodes were padded out with a bit of filler. However, it was good to see Sailor Saturn getting some decent screen time.
The final battle was spectacular and, given Sailor Moon's character and personality, it ended the only way it could have ended.

So, my Sailor Moon marathon is over and very enjoyable it was too. For a series that started 30 years ago it's stood the test of time very well in my opinion.

Call of the Night episode 3. Have to admit it’s becoming a struggle to find the characters interesting or likable. Not prepared to drop yet, but my overall opinion of the show is definitely headed the wrong direction.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1