What anime are you watching now?

Optic

On 7/12/2022 at 5:36 PM, MarathonGuy1337 said:

Been a while since I last posted here so... lets begin.

First the big two shows 

Dragon Ball - Currently Watching 
Galaxy Express 999 - Currently Watching 

Completed:

Trigun
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Made In Abyss 

Made In Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul 
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory - Re-watched with a friend  
A.I. City - Kind of just stumbled into that one 

Upcoming or on my more immediate plan to watch list;

Payrate the Maxim 
Bubblegum Crisis 
Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway Flash

See the source image

Who needs IRL friends when I have anime; seriously though someone help me I think I'm an addict; for retro anime

if you have liked the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya im sure you will also like the film sequel (even thought i can't say the same thing about season 2 endless eight arc)

• Funny 1

Lucifer & the Biscuit Hammer. This ones getting a good deal of flack for it’s lack of polish , but I’m actually enjoying it more than some series that are getting a lot of hype. It’s more than a little weird though 😂

Okay so I watched, finally, 

Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway Flash - Great really enjoyed it 

Then I watched the Gallforce Trilogy, all three films/OVAs and they where fine I guess 

The best part was the visuals of the space battles as infrequent as they where but the pacing was all over the place and it felt weirdly "pseudo-intellectual" in my opinion anyway.

See the source image

So the hunt for retro anime titles continues 

• Cool (Kakkoii) 2

Had never heard of it or planned to watch it, but as I was looking at Crunchyroll for what to watch next, I looked at recently added (Because I still have a list of anime I'm waiting to be added from Funimation...) I found 'A3!'. It sounded good, so I started watching it. It's... okay. It's not bad by any means, but not one I'll watch again - and I'm someone who usually rewatches more than I watch new.

4 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Currently watching Madoka Magica (again)

The Magical Girl series for those who don't like traditional Magical Girl series.

Nice, it the only MG series I've gotten into. You planning on watching Rebellion when you finish, plus the new movie set to come out next year of all goes well and no delays. 

I'm also currently doing a rewatch, showing a friend Parasyte the Maxim. The shows pretty badass, and beyond the 3D cgi crowd shots the animation is pretty much on point for most the show. We've already cracked through the first eight episodes, so it goes to show how binge worthy the show is.

I'm also at episode nine of Lunar Legend Tsukihime, so three more episodes till the end. I don't really get the hate some have for the show, I thought it was pretty good. 

The fights aren't all that, but the music is nice and the story pretty solid. 

6 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

Nice, it the only MG series I've gotten into. You planning on watching Rebellion when you finish, plus the new movie set to come out next year of all goes well and no delays. 

I haven't yet decided if I'll watch Rebellion this time round. I've seen it a couple of times and wasn't impressed with it, It always leaves me thinking that the animators got too carried away with the psychedelic stop-motion graphics and forgot that a film needs a clear storyline more than it needs fancy graphics. The overall impression the film left me with was that it was an example of style over substance.

On 7/22/2022 at 7:37 AM, Ohayotaku said:

Call of the Night episode 3. Have to admit it’s becoming a struggle to find the characters interesting or likable. Not prepared to drop yet, but my overall opinion of the show is definitely headed the wrong direction.

I don't really want to agree with you on that point, but I'm having a hard time not to at the moment. The characters are a bit.... awkward? For lack of a better term(s)? As far as visuals go, I give it a pretty high score, and the opening theme is pretty good. Overall though, I'm willing to give it one or two more eps to see what happens. Here's hoping. 🤞

Watched through to the most current ep of Overlord. Kinda wish I had 4 more seasons to go, it's a great show! I crack up every time Demiurge praises Ainz' 'genius' ideas and planning and Ainz has no friggin' clue what he's talking about, and gives him permission to explain it all away to everyone. 😂

I plan to continue watching Angolmois to the end, then pick back up on Love After World Domination. I have Fate/Zero on my radar for the very near future as well.

• Agree 1

RWBY: Ice Queendom so episodes 1-3 are essentially an abbreviated version of events from Volume 1 (episodes 1 -16) of the original with a few changes. Most notably Weis comes across as a more nuanced character with some early insight into her relationships with the rest of her family. And Jaune’s conflict with Cardin seems to be skipped over in favor of a more internalized struggle over his secret. Also it seems like the anime version will be more focused & serious than the original. While the animation & designs are definitely more polished in this version, I actually prefer the original’s soundtrack. I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary to be familiar with the original, but I do think it complimentary & there are times in the first 3 eps when things clearly seemed rushed or incomplete. And going forward, it seems like the story will go off on a different tangent.

Edited by Ohayotaku

https://myanimelist.net/anime/50421/Yowai_5000-nen_no_Soushoku_Dragon_Iwarenaki_Jaryuu_Nintei 

… yeah, I’m just going to call this “Old Vegan Dragon”  for short, ok? 😂 Just watched the first ep on CR and it was surprisingly entertaining for a short runtime series (14 minutes). Yes it was silly, but also pretty darn adorable ☺️ Think I’ll probably stick with it.

Edited by Ohayotaku

A few days ago in a topic about anime you've rewatched a lot, I mentioned Gravitation and how even though it's not a great show (In hindsight) but in High School I watched it repeatedly... (Hard to believe I found it almost 20 years ago.) But after mentioning it, I was thinking about it a lot and.... now I'm watching it again. I stand by that it's not a great show, but man the nostalgia is strong. (And the music is good. Still listen to the OST sometimes.)

7 hours ago, Takatofan1986 said:

A few days ago in a topic about anime you've rewatched a lot, I mentioned Gravitation and how even though it's not a great show (In hindsight) but in High School I watched it repeatedly... (Hard to believe I found it almost 20 years ago.) But after mentioning it, I was thinking about it a lot and.... now I'm watching it again. I stand by that it's not a great show, but man the nostalgia is strong. (And the music is good. Still listen to the OST sometimes.)

Been there, done that. There's been a few times when I've seen a DVD at the back of the cupboard of a series I really liked 20 odd years ago and decided to watch it again and after a couple of episodes I'm wondering what I ever saw in it.

Fortunately most of the DVDs in my collection are as good now as I remember them being 20+ years ago when I first watched them.

• Like 1

The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún - for some reason, CR chose to divide this into 3 “episodes”. The only thing that really stood out about this was the artstyle, which is reminiscent of watercolor paintings which fits well with the folk/fairy tale influences of it’s story & also gives it a dream-like quality. But as far as the story & themes, it didn’t really seem to offer anything I hadn’t seen done better in series like Somali and the Forest Spirit, The Ancient Magus Bride & Haibane Renmei. The biggest shortcoming for me is that the characters feel like nothing more than just that: characters, or archetypes without any individuality that negates most of the emotional impact. I actually think the manga might have more of an impact, but the anime didn’t make much of an impression on me other than the art.

Edited by Ohayotaku

I finished watching Stellvia this evening. It's an enjoyable Sci-Fi series with an interesting storyline that isn't quite as straightforward as it first appears. The series also has a good cast of characters and gives you time to get to know each of them.

I'd have one or two questions about some aspects of the plot, but it's never wise to probe too deeply into such matters, especially with Sci-Fi series, because you can end up spoiling your enjoyment of the series.

I began watching episode 1 of Fate/Zero earlier. Had to find a stopping point in the middle of the ep to go back to work, so I'm going to finish it now.

I'm kind of in a rut otherwise as to what to watch alongside it. Overlord 4 is pretty much the main simulcast show I'm going out of my way to catch when new eps drop. My Stepmom's Daughter is My Ex isn't too bad thus far, kinda want to see how their relationship plays out as the show progresses. Despite feeling mixed about Call of the Night, I'm still willing to go at least another ep or two before I give it the axe. I really want to like this show, for some reason. I'm still holding out hope that it has some hidden potential.

Just finished "Sound! Euphonium" series 1.  A simple but really enjoyable series, I wish series 2 was available in the UK.

Yes, I know I could buy the US release, but it's in two parts at $79 each, that's about £65 in UK money and the days when I could afford to pay £130 for anime series are long gone!  In practice it would probably be more than £130 by the time international postage and import duties are added.  ☹️

Started watching the 2nd season of The Devil is a Part-timer. It has a very different feel to it than the first season & a very funny set-up

an adorable little girl mysteriously appears claiming to be Maou & Emilia’s lovechild 

🤣 

Currently watching K-On. A great series and lots of fun to watch, with just enough seriousness to keep things in ballance.  A great cast of characters, excellent animation and artwork and a well written script. What's not to like?