What anime are you watching now?

Optic

Started watching Sing a Bit of Harmony , but only got about 10 minutes in before deciding it wasn’t what I was in the mood for. So, watched The Boy and the Beast instead & thought it was pretty enjoyable

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

Decided to take a look at Genius Prince.  Looks .. intriguing.  (Sorry)  Only a couple episodes in so I don't know much yet.  I do worry about the main character tho.  I mean, I keep hearing either Megumin or Takagi-san whenever Ninym speaks.  Neither bodes well for Wein, genius or not.  :)   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

watching the melancholy of haruhi chan suzumiya 

I remember watching this when it first came out on DVD and as I recall there was a lot of discussion/dispute/argument on the anime forums of the day as to which order the series should be watched in.

From what I remember it was quite a good series but it seriously messed with my head.

• Agree 1

I've invested the time in Call of the Night to the most current episode, so I'm just going to finish it through. All in all, I won't say it's really anything to write home about, but I don't think it's a bad series. The characters were/are pretty awkward in the beginning of the show, as several of you have pointed out. There have been a couple of developments in the plot that I'm interested in seeing where they go with it, but I won't spoil anything. The MC Ko, on his own, is still a bit awkward and difficult to feel anything toward, but there are a few new characters that add a little more depth when they interact with him. If nothing else, this show has fantastic visuals and music, IMHO. (I'm not the greatest reviewer of anime, so please do take whatever I say with a grain of salt.)

Began watching Lycoris Recoil. That opening in episode 1 was absolutely amazing! I have found my next binge show! 😍 I'm also going to try to watch episode 1 of The Demon Girl Next Door again, hopefully without any technical issues at the halfway point of the video this time. 😭

• Like 2

Finished Fate Apocrypha the other day, and just sat through all of Code Geass R1 within the span of two days with Marathon Guy. He'd never seen it despite being a huge mecha fan, naturally he thought it was awesome. 

Also strangely the dvd cut the pizza hut cameos. 

Edited by MediaConsumesMe
  • Like 1

I'm currently 13 episodes into watching Little Busters! series 1 and am really struggling to find any ongoing consistent and coherent storyline, it just seems to be a collection of random episodes vaguely linked by the fact that they feature the same characters.

• Like 1

Started on "Cue!" not too long ago. It always interests me to see dramas based around how the anime industry itself works. Like all fiction, I'm sure the details are embellished to make everything more exciting for the viewing audience.

Edited by Kōyamaki
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 9:41 PM, Animedragon said:

I'm currently 13 episodes into watching Little Busters! series 1 and am really struggling to find any ongoing consistent and coherent storyline, it just seems to be a collection of random episodes vaguely linked by the fact that they feature the same characters.

I've now finished series 1 of Little Busters, and my initial opinion of series hasn't changed. I eventually worked out that Riki Naoe was the protagonist, but he's not a very prominent protagonist.
Some of the individual stories were quite good while others were contrived and unbelievable, most suffered from poor linking scenes between them. The other problem I had was that the characters were not properly introduced so I never got to know most of them, I suspect the anime creators expected everyone already know them from playing the original game.
Overall I think there was probably a good story in there somewhere, but it got lost and never quite found its way out.
However, the series will not be relegated to the oblivion of the back cupboard and I'll probably watch it again one day, but for now it's not on the rewatch list.

6 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I've now finished series 1 of Little Busters, and my initial opinion of series hasn't changed. I eventually worked out that Riki Naoe was the protagonist, but he's not a very prominent protagonist.
Some of the individual stories were quite good while others were contrived and unbelievable, most suffered from poor linking scenes between them. The other problem I had was that the characters were not properly introduced so I never got to know most of them, I suspect the anime creators expected everyone already know them from playing the original game.
Overall I think there was probably a good story in there somewhere, but it got lost and never quite found its way out.
However, the series will not be relegated to the oblivion of the back cupboard and I'll probably watch it again one day, but for now it's not on the rewatch list.

I’ve never watch the anime but I know that the visual novel is really good. So maybe it’s just that the transition to anime format wasn’t done well. Maybe it tried to combine some of the element of each route like rewind did but I’m not really sure since this is just a theory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soramee_ said:

I’ve never watch the anime but I know that the visual novel is really good. So maybe it’s just that the transition to anime format wasn’t done well. Maybe it tried to combine some of the element of each route like rewind did but I’m not really sure since this is just a theory.

Yes, a lot of the reviews I read about the series say that the visual novel is really good so it looks like not enough care was taken when creating the anime.

19 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I'm not familiar with that one; however, I think it would be more logical to have better backstory development in the anime than in the games. I suspect there is probably some hidden marketing ploy behind it to make everyone do the rounds within the different media of the franchise; of course, this sort of thing works on the really hardcore fans, just not the lazy people. Personally, I think this is a very bad strategy long term, and I believe that more should actually be invested in the anime. I mean, if they're just going to leave holes in the plot, then what was even the point of having an animated series in the first place? I would be okay if the games all had alternate flowcharts where the outcome is effected by the player's choices - it increases the replay value, but I think the canonically correct storyline should always be fleshed out in full in any anime series so that the main idea is not lost on the general audience. I guess a lot of the guys in suits don't care, but I do care about those details.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Kōyamaki said:

I'm not familiar with that one; however, I think it would be more logical to have better backstory development in the anime than in the games. I suspect there is probably some hidden marketing ploy behind it to make everyone do the rounds within the different media of the franchise; of course, this sort of thing works on the really hardcore fans, just not the lazy people. Personally, I think this is a very bad strategy long term, and I believe that more should actually be invested in the anime. I mean, if they're just going to leave holes in the plot, then what was even the point of having an animated series in the first place? I would be okay if the games all had alternate flowcharts where the outcome is effected by the player's choices - it increases the replay value, but I think the canonically correct storyline should always be fleshed out in full in any anime series so that the main idea is not lost on the general audience. I guess a lot of the guys in suits don't care, but I do care about those details.

When a game becomes popular enough to be made into an anime it is initially aimed at those who have played the game, but its actual audience is going to be far wider especially if it's shown on TV and that's where backstory development becomes important. Without backstory it's difficult to understand the motivations of the characters. Indeed I think there is a good case for saying that as the anime is going to have a wider audience more effort should be placed on the production of the anime than the game and that involves not only backstory but filling in any plot holes that exist in the original game.

Also, in an anime time needs to be given to properly introduce each main character, if the viewer has played the game they'll know who the person is, but those who haven't won't have a clue who the new character is, actually I think this applies to all anime series not just game based ones.

An anime series is by definition a fixed storyline and so a game based anime should follow the primary route and include as many of the side routes as possible while avoiding contradictions with the main route. Merging the various routes into one seamless storyline that flows smoothly is not an easy task. Kyoto Animation managed this very well with Kanon and Clannad and while each girl's backstory isn't usually revealed until it's her turn to be centre stage there have often been hints of their past earlier in the story.

Sadly the creators of the first series of Little Busters didn't quite manage to pull this off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Having been a bit scathing in my comments about series 1 of Little Busters I approached watching Little Busters Refrain with mixed feelings. But I got a surprise. The presentation of Refrain is nothing like series 1, each episode is well paced and the story flows smoothly, in fact by the end of the second episode I started to wonder if a different studio had taken over production, but no, it was the same studio. I'm sure that if the first series had been produced like refrain Little Busters would have got far better reviews.
But as the story progressed one thing puzzled me, how was a third year student able to arrange the things he did, that part didn't add up. Then as the final episodes unfolded and what was really going on was revealed the whole series changed. In a way I was correct when I said that you needed to have played the game to understand the events of series 1.

So I think I should add Little Busters to my rewatch list. Knowing the end of Refrain may well change my understanding and opinion of series 1.

• Like 1

Lately, I've been struggling to watch much of anything. I find my ever-growing watch lists to be pretty overwhelming to look at sometimes. Not sure why that is, but I think I'm a little burnt out. Meh... I'll get back into the groove again soon, hopefully.

I did manage to watch episode 10 of both Overlord S4 and Call of the Night last night, but all the other series I've marked on my list have been put on the back-burner, atm.

• Like 1

I've now watched Little Busters EX which is an OAV series rather than a TV series. EX comprises three short stories, the first two being side stories and both being great fun to watch. The third story was more serious and was an appropriate ending to the whole series and included the final reconciliation between the two sisters, Haruka and Kanata their story arc was one of the most disturbing parts of the series.
Like Refrain the episodes were well paced and the story flowed smoothly through the episode, it's just a pity they found out how to do this after the first series had ended.

Overall opinion of Little Busters. I'm glad I watched it. Series one could have been done better, Refrain and EX were much better.

Would I watch it again? Yes.

• Like 1

Okay, I KNOW I’m so many years late but recently I decided to sit down and watch Attack on Titans. I don’t know why at first when it came out it didn’t call my attention. Probably because I was only 12 at the time & I was attracted to other genres. But, now that I’m watching it, it’s sooooo good. Currently in season 3, this season seems like a bit of a mess to me because it has so many character’s lives incorporated into the season but obviously they all have a connection to the titans so it’s unraveling slowly. An anime I was watching before this one that I really recommend is called My Dress-Up Darling, it’s such a good romcom anime. It made me feel fuzzy watching it the whole time. Nothing beats a good romance anime. 

• Like 3