What anime are you watching now?

Optic

I've finished re-watching the first season of Little Busters.  I'm really trying to like this series as it has decent animation and artwork, it also has a good cast of characters and some of their individual story arcs are quite good, although one of them is in my view too far-fetched and improbable. So, now on to season 2.

Isekai Quartet: The Movie 

this turned out to have more of an actual plot than I expected (albeit a predictable one). Of course, the main appeal is still seeing it’s cast of (slightly :P ) caricatured  characters playing off each other. Like the series, it’s not absolutely essential to have seen the anime they come from (Konosuba, ReZero, Overlord & Tanya the Evil) but it does make it more enjoyable when you recognize the the numerous references  &  easter eggs). And yes Shield Hero’s Naofumi, Raphtalia & Filo are along for the ride (even if that technically makes it an Isekai Quintet😆 ). The new characters were likable as well, especially Pantagruel. All in all an entertaining & enjoyable romp 😁

spacer.png

My only complaint isn’t related to the movie. Namely, we haven’t gotten any updates on Tanya the Evil season 2 since it was announced a year & a half ago 😐 At least we’re supposed to get Konosuba 3 & the Megumin prequel in 2023 👍

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ohayotaku said:

Isekai Quartet: The Movie 

this turned out to have more of an actual plot than I expected (albeit a predictable one). Of course, the main appeal is still seeing it’s cast of (slightly :P ) caricatured  characters playing off each other. Like the series, it’s not absolutely essential to have seen the anime they come from (Konosuba, ReZero, Overlord & Tanya the Evil) but it does it make it more enjoyable when you recognize the the numerous references  &  easter eggs). And yes Shield Hero’s Naofumi, Raphtalia & Filo are along for the ride (even if that technically makes it an Isekai Quintet😆 ). The new characters were likable as well, especially Pantagruel. All in all an entertaining & enjoyable romp 😁

spacer.png

My only complaint isn’t related to the movie. Namely, we haven’t gotten any updates on Tanya the Evil season 2 since it was announced a year & a half ago 😐 At least we’re supposed to get Konosuba 3 & the Megumin prequel in 2023 👍

makes me want to watch re zero again and isekai quartet 

• Like 1

Spy x Family - final episode of the 1st season was today. Personally feel that the 2nd cour was more uneven than the 1st. The opening arc with the bomb dogs was one of the best. Really liked Yor’s cooking lesson, Bond & Anya’s first fight & Nightfall’s introduction. But Daybreak’s intro & the tennis tournament felt too silly.  At least the season ended on a decent episode & even with it’s shortcomings the series was one of the years highlights. And with a 2nd season & a movie both in the works, looking forward to more excitement & laughs  with the Forgers.

I've now finished watching Little Busters Refrain. This second season of the series is better than the first season because the story is better paced and flows more smoothly and is much more dramatic as Rikki and Rin slowly discover the secret of the world and the shocking truth it hides.

Based on the revelations about the Little Busters in Refrain I am now of the opinion that the poor pacing of the first season's episodes was a deliberate attempt to show that the world the Little Busters lived in was somehow "out of kilter" and not quite right, but the animators didn't quite pull it off.

In my opinion Refrain has gone a long way to redeeming the series and I will certainly watch it again, and probably enjoy it a lot more.

One question remains, how did I miss "Song for Friends" the beautiful and haunting song that ends episodes 3, 8 & 9 when I watched the series for the first time?

• Like 1

I've just started watching Akebi's Sailor Uniform. It's a nice little SoL series about a girl named Akebi who wanted two things when she started at middle school, to wear a sailor uniform and make lots of friends. There seems to be no major dramas in this series, unless you count Akebi finding out on her first day that the school uniform is no longer a sailor suit. Her efforts to make friends are more successful.  There's quite a bit of humour in the series, but it's the subtle type that comes from the reactions of Akebi and her friends to various situations.

Finishing off Fall seasonals before new shows start next week. Today is the final ep of Chainsaw Man’s first season. Still need to finish: Do It Yourself • Bocchi the Rock • Lucifer & the Biscuit Hammer • Raven of the Inner Palace. Also need to binge Gundam: Witch from Mercury, but the 1st cour doesn’t end until January 8.

• Like 1

I finished Akebi's Sailor Uniform this evening. A well animated 12 episode series with nice art work. It's the story of a group of middle school students getting on with life and encouraging and supporting each other.  Sounds boring, but I found it to be highly enjoyable and interesting to watch.

1 hour ago, Animedragon said:

I finished Akebi's Sailor Uniform this evening. A well animated 12 episode series with nice art work. It's the story of a group of middle school students getting on with life and encouraging and supporting each other.  Sounds boring, but I found it to be highly enjoyable and interesting to watch.

I liked it too, though I'm sure some people would find it diabetes-inducing.  :)

338962298_Screenshotfrom2022-03-0817-11-20.thumb.png.027a60b80b98f6768d1b7d0d4ec54ee9.png

• Like 1

Currently watching Higehiro. I've wanted to watch this because when it came out there was a lot of controversy about its storyline with several YouTubers complaining about it and saying it was all wrong. I've seen the first six episodes now and while questions could be asked about the initial story idea I've seen more questionable storylines in other series that no one has kicked up a fuss about.

• Agree 1

I've now finished watching "Higehiro" and given the controversy that this series stirred up in some places I wasn't really sure what I was going to get. Yoshida, a  26 year old salary man, finds Sayu, a 16 year old girl who has run away from home, sitting in the street near where he lives and promptly takes her in and she then offers to let him 'do her' in payment for a roof over her head... Yep, plenty there to cause upset.

But anyone who rejected this series on the basis of the first episode missed an excellent story. From the very start Yoshida rejects Sayu's offer and does nothing to her except to care for her and provide her with a safe and secure place to stay. As the story progresses Sayu tells why she ran away and slowly gains the courage to return home. 

Edited by Animedragon
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

I'm currently watching Lycoris Recoil. I read somewhere that it was a 'Cute girls with guns' series, so as I quite liked Gunslinger Girl and Noir I thought I'd give it a shot..... (Hmm, wrong word perhaps!)

So far I'm not quite sure what to make of it, there's certainly a lot of action and I think there's a storyline in there somewhere.

10 minutes ago, Animedragon said:

I'm currently watching Lycoris Recoil. I read somewhere that it was a 'Cute girls with guns' series, so as I quite liked Gunslinger Girl and Noir I thought I'd give it a shot..... (Hmm, wrong word perhaps!)

So far I'm not quite sure what to make of it, there's certainly a lot of action and I think there's a storyline in there somewhere.

Lycoris  Recoil has the same basic storyline as Gunslinger Girl

orphaned girls trained by a shadowy government agency to assassinate terrorists, criminals, & other threats to “peaceful society”

But with greater emphasis on humor, slice of life antics & shoujo ai than the heavier & more unsettling ethical aspects of Gunslinger Girl. 

On 12/28/2022 at 11:17 PM, Soramee_ said:

Cid is pretty much me but less crazy lol.

That’s terrifying 😱 :P 

I just caught up on it myself. Unlike the other carryover series, it didn’t take a 1 week break & with only 20 eps scheduled so far, will wrap up halfway through the winter season

• Like 2

Lycoris  Recoil has the same basic storyline as Gunslinger Girl

Yes, there's a definite similarity.

But with greater emphasis on humor, slice of life antics & shoujo ai than the heavier & more unsettling ethical aspects of Gunslinger Girl. 

One of the things I liked about Gunslinger Girl was that some the characters discussed the ethical aspects of what was being done to the girls.

• Agree 1

Started watching Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury. Have to say it has a different feel to it than other Gundam series I’ve attempted to watch (even the prologue episode for that matter). More emphasis on humor & high school drama, though I’m sure the military & societal aspects will increase as it progresses. Actually one of 2022’s better offerings so far.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

I've now finished watching Lycoris Recoil. I enjoyed watching the series, but I felt that quite often the dramatic action scenes buried the plot and towards the final episodes I found the plot quite difficult to follow. I also felt that they made the usual mistake in having a 'chief bad guy' who is impossible to kill off. No matter how good a bullet proof vest the someone is wearing if they have a nearly a whole clip of bullets fired into them from sub-machine gun at near point blank range there is no way the guy is going to get up again.

Overall I found it a good series, but it suffered from having too big a storyline for a 13 part series.

Finished up Do It Yourself. Not particularly informative &  the characters are pretty trope-y, but still one of my favorite CGDCT series spacer.png

Currently wrapping up Witch from Mercury (1st cour) & Raven of the Inner Palace. Have to say both are a couple of the season’s best.

Edited by Ohayotaku

I'm having a difficult time choosing a series to start on. I started watching Komi Can't Communicate a couple days ago, but for some reason Netflix doesn't want to play nice when I try to watch certain shows on my PC (and wouldn't you know it, Komi is one of them). I've put Chainsaw Man on hold for now, don't know if I will finish it or just drop it. I've just about all but lost interest in it.

10 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Just started watching Anonhana, looks like an interesting series.

I found it a bit confusing for the first episode or two.  They kind of tried for the "hook you on a mystery" thing and it didn't quite work for me.  That said it got much better.  It passed the 3-episode test and was definitely worth watching overall.  I enjoyed the rest of the series once I understood what was going on.

• Like 1