What anime are you watching now?

Optic

This evening I finished the second series of Laid Back Camp. I've really enjoyed watching this series the artwork, animation and background music all combine to make this a beautiful series. The storyline and characters are also excellent, but Rin and Nadeshiko steal almost every scene they're in as they make a great pair.
I'm looking forward to watching the movie tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I saw That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime: The Movie - Scarlet Bond last night. Pretty entertaining, but you need to have seen the anime through the end of season 2 first, as there are lots of references to characters & events. Not to be too spoilery, but Diablo is pretty active in the last third of it.

This evening I spent a highly enjoyable 2 hours watching the Laid Back Camp Movie. I'm often a bit wary of movie versions of popular series because far too often they're just recaps of the TV series and usually end up changing the story to fit the run-time of the movie. The Laid Back Camp movie doesn't fall into that trap and stays faithful to the original by creating a really beautiful original story.  And as ever, Rin and Nadeshiko steal the limelight they're such a great double-act. 🗻🛵

Oh, and I've read that there's a third TV series in production. 😃😃

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

In/Spectre season 2

Kotoko’s back, smug as ever spacer.png

The series isn’t for everyone, as a lot of time is spent on her  talent for verbally & intellectually playing devil’s advocate, but I do hope Yuki-Onna & Masayuki get their happy ending.

• Like 3

I've started watching Bocchi the Rock. The basic story is about a group of high school students who decide to form a band, OK so I've seen this scenario before, and to be honest I've seen it done better- but it's early episodes so far and perhaps it will improve. The Unique Selling Point for this one is that the main character is an excellent guitarist and has a huge following on her, anonymous, social media account but is terminally shy and introverted when around people, so much so that she plays her first gig sitting inside a cardboard box on stage!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I've started watching Bocchi the Rock. The basic story is about a group of high school students who decide to form a band, OK so I've seen this scenario before, and to be honest I've seen it done better- but it's early episodes so far and perhaps it will improve. The Unique Selling Point for this one is that the main character is an excellent guitarist and has a huge following on her, anonymous, social media account but is terminally shy and introverted when around people, so much so that she plays her first gig sitting inside a cardboard box on stage!

no worries... it will be better. this is my favourite anime of the year

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Watched the first 3 episodes of Trigun Stampede 

It’s impossible not to be impressed by what they’ve accomplished as far as animation, music & style. But it’s equally impossible not to feel salty about the liberties that have been taken with the characters (Meryl in particular) & story ( the reveals that completely changed the tone of the OG at it’s halfway point are all disclosed in the very first episode in this new version)

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Ohayotaku said:

Watched the first 3 episodes of Trigun Stampede 

It’s impossible not to be impressed by what they’ve accomplished as far as animation, music & style. But it’s equally impossible not to feel salty about the liberties that have been taken with the characters (Meryl in particular) & story ( the reveals that completely changed the tone of the OG at it’s halfway point are all disclosed in the very first episode in this new version)

That's the overall sentiment I have about this show so far, but I didn't exactly know how to word it. After I watched episode 1, I was pretty much thinking

Spoiler

"Wait... they're going to reveal Millions Knives this early on?".

As for Meryl, I'm not too clear on whether this story takes place years before the events of the OG or if it's a completely different timeline. As such, I can't tell if it's the same Meryl from the original show, only younger (with more of an air of naivety), or if this is another, completely different person who happens to have the same name and similar appearance (still with the naive aura). Maybe I'm not looking at it through the right lens here, but it's kinda hard not to compare it to the original. Hopefully all that doesn't sound like a load of BS. I'm really not sure how I feel about it entirely yet, but overall, it seems to be heading in a negative direction. 😐

• Agree 1

@viruxx My first impression from the trailers was that it might be a prequel, but I’m fairly certainly now that it’s intended as a completely different storyline/reality that borrows characteristics from the original. For one thing

Papa Nebraska & Geofsef both die here, so seems unlikely they would show up again later in the story

• Agree 1

I've now finished watching Bocchi the Rock. And I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the series, most of it seemed to revolve around Hitori/Bocchi's insecurity which resulted in her zoning out for a while which was shown using a very cartoony sequence, this was OK at first but by episode 10 the gag had gotten rather old and tedious and I kept wishing that they'd stop wasting screen time on it and got on with the story. I felt that Hitori/Bocchi's 'zone outs' cost character development for the other 3 girls.
Overall, I thought it a bit of fun to watch, but ultimately disappointing.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I've now finished watching Bocchi the Rock. And I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the series, most of it seemed to revolve around Hitori/Bocchi's insecurity which resulted in her zoning out for a while which was shown using a very cartoony sequence, this was OK at first but by episode 10 the gag had gotten rather old and tedious and I kept wishing that they'd stop wasting screen time on it and got on with the story. I felt that Hitori/Bocchi's 'zone outs' cost character development for the other 3 girls.
Overall, I thought it a bit of fun to watch, but ultimately disappointing.

I honestly think Bocchi The Rock is just decent at best. A lot of people hype it up to be among the best of what the genre offers, but I disagree. The events that happen in the show just aren't that interesting and most of the characters are quite forgettable. I vastly prefer Yuru Camp and Non Non Biyori.

One of the anime I picked back up is Kimagure Orange Road. The protagonist is an immature sleaze, but the animation is quite nice and the soundtrack is corny in the best way. I can see exactly how this show ends though.

On 1/25/2023 at 9:28 PM, Neb said:

I honestly think Bocchi The Rock is just decent at best. A lot of people hype it up to be among the best of what the genre offers, but I disagree. The events that happen in the show just aren't that interesting and most of the characters are quite forgettable. I vastly prefer Yuru Camp and Non Non Biyori.

One of the anime I picked back up is Kimagure Orange Road. The protagonist is an immature sleaze, but the animation is quite nice and the soundtrack is corny in the best way. I can see exactly how this show ends though.

Yuru Camp is great, I cannot comment on Non Non Biyori.

You think the protagonist of Kimagure Orange Road is a sleaze? That seems a bit harsh though he is sort of a punching bag for the other characters. Considering that he and his sisters had powers comparable to Samantha from "Bewitched", it is a wonder that anyone was even able to touch him. I think the way he kept his true feelings hidden for all that time was kinda pathetic to be honest. Ayukawa was good looking but very rough around the edges. They also made Ayukawa unrealistically tough like she could knock out Ronda Rousey or Brock Lesnar with minimal effort ( if she were real ). I think I would have avoided Ayukawa if I were that guy - she was trouble, and so was her younger friend with the bowl cut. I'm not saying that the girls didn't have their own endearing qualities about them, just that they would be too much trouble for me to want to deal with. Although your use of the term "corny" in regards to the soundtrack of KOR was meant to be affectionate, let's just be honest and say that it was legit. There was nothing 'trite' or 'kitschy' about the music, it was simply incredibly good - albeit the lyrics may have been a tad cliché ( there, I admit it ). Was the plot of KOR predictable? Well...yes. I can meet you on that.

Edited by Kōyamaki

6 hours ago, Neb said:

Yuru Camp and Bocchi The Rock are worlds apart. Yuru Camp is and excellent series and highly re-watchable, and I plan to re-watch it, Bocchi The Rock on the other hand is totally forgettable. I've not seen Non Non Biyori, but I note that it's available on CR so as I want a new series to start watching while I have my meals I'll give it a watch from today.

• Like 1

Today, as mentioned earlier, I started watching Non Non Biyori.  While the series doesn't have much of a continuing overall storyline each episode is not entirely a stand-alone event but often references or continues events from previous episodes. Overall I'm finding the series great fun to watch.

• Informative 1

Just going through my usual routine 3 episodes into a new season to see which shows I want to put on my to-watch list and noticed Fruit of Evolution got a second season?  Really?  I was pretty underwhelmed with the first season.  I tried to watch it but tbh I don't even remember if I finished it or dropped it.  I don't remember the ending at any rate.  I don't think I'll put this season on my list either... maybe a rewatch of Shangri-La instead.

Edited by efaardvark
  • Like 1

Since I didn’t watch a lot of anime from the last season I made my mind to finish all the one I’m interested in from this season and the last one… it’s gonna take a while. Beside that I’m also watching the misfit of the demon king academy since the second season is airing right now

12 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Just going through my usual routine 3 episodes into a new season to see which shows I want to put on my to-watch list and noticed Fruit of Evolution got a second season?  Really?  I was pretty underwhelmed with the first season.  I tried to watch it but tbh I don't even remember if I finished it or dropped it.  I don't remember the ending at any rate. 

I did finish the first season, but honestly should’ve dropped & not even going to attempt the 2nd season. Felt like it was purposefully bad, hoping people would think it funny.

i’ve listed my faves from what I’m watching in my signature

Edited by Ohayotaku

I started watching Holmes of Kyoto this evening. It's a curious series about a guy who works as an assessor in an antiques shop and his female high school student assistant who go around solving mysteries. He's called "Holmes" not because it's his name but because it's a way of reading the kanji that form part of his name. It's an interesting and entertaining series, but "Holmes" is far too smart to be believable as a detective.

12 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

Since I didn’t watch a lot of anime from the last season I made my mind to finish all the one I’m interested in from this season and the last one… it’s gonna take a while. Beside that I’m also watching the misfit of the demon king academy since the second season is airing right now

Is season 2 as good as season 1?

Stayed up late finishing up GunXSword, (cause I finally got the last dvd in the set) really liked it. Ending was satisfying, story was great, music was great, really everything was pretty good. Going to move onto some classics I need to finish up, might watch some movies I've had on my watch list tomorrow or start another series up.

• Like 2