What anime are you watching now?

Optic

I finished watching Holmes of Kyoto this evening. It's bit of a strange series.
It features an artwork assessor named Kiyotaka Yagashira, who is called "Holmes" because it's a word play on his name, and a third year high school girl named Aoi Mashiro who he employs as an assistant in the shop he manages.
At first it appears to be a mystery detective series with Holmes solving cases with Aoi's help, but we the viewer never get all the information we need to make a guess as to the answers, Holmes being a uncannily perceptive person who solves the case in minutes.
Then it moves on to being about a series of tests or contests about assessing if an object or artwork is genuine or fake.
After a while I came to the view that all the situations the pair find themselves in are just a device to tell the story of Holmes and Aoi's relationship and how it grows and develops over time. But there's really no resolution of this aspect.
Overall it's an interesting series to watch with good artwork and animation, but ultimately the series is something and nothing.

4 hours ago, Otaking66lives said:

Started re-watching Maison Ikkoku today. One of Rumiko Takahashi's lesser known masterpieces.

You may be some time then. 🙂

I've not seen the anime, but I've got the manga and read it a couple of times.

This evening I started watching series 1 of Chihayafuru. This is a sports anime based around a Japanese card game called  Karuta which requires a good memory to play as it's based on 100 traditional Japanese poems.  Until I started watching this series I had no idea that there was such a card game or that it was a competitive sport and it's not a sport that I would have thought was interesting to watch.

So far my opinion of the series is favourable, I found it interesting, and even exciting in places, to watch and it has a good cast of characters and good artwork and animation.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Sometimes I think I'm already watched all the good anime out there until I find another masterpiece. Right now I'm watching "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime" second season and compare to season 1, it is quite intense!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Mehr said:

Sometimes I think I'm already watched all the good anime out there until I find another masterpiece. Right now I'm watching "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime" second season and compare to season 1, it is quite intense!

I still have to watch this anime. I heard it was really good so I will surely give it a try sometime

• Like 1

While I don’t intend to pause ALL my simulcast viewing, I am going to temporarily switch my focus to bingeing on Netflix because:

All episodes of Monster are now available. Back in the day I was watching it on Syfy/Chiller, but issues with my cablebox/DVR prevented me from finishing it. 

They finally added more eps of the original Inuyasha.

The final season of Aggretsuko debuts the middle of this month.

Hopefully the remainder of Uncle from Another World will be available by the time I finish those. Or else I’ll check out the new Junji Ito or Bastard’s 2nd season

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

Up until about two days ago  I hadn't actually watched Cowboy Bebop. So far 10 episodes in, really like it, definitely lives up to the hype, have to keep myself from staying up late watching it lol

I've now finished watching the first season of Chihayafuru. I wasn't sure what to expect from this series, after all it's about a group of people who play Karuta, a popular card game in Japan but almost unknown in the west.
The artwork and animation for this series is really good, but what really makes this series stand out is the characters, each has a different personality and different reasons for playing the game and as the story unfolds we see them practising among themselves and competing in tournaments, we see their joy and elation at winning and the depths of their despair when they lose. Add in the excellent background music and what you have is a brilliant series that is both highly watchable and entertaining.

• Like 1

I finished Chihayafuru series 2 this evening.  The first series set a high bar, but series 2 cleared it.

The storyline and character development continue at a high level with more focus on the characters, their motivations and interactions with each other for the first part of the series with the actual games taking more of a background role. As the final games approach the game play becomes more centre stage, but the story is still about the characters and with a combination of excellent animation and brilliant music I was really on the edge of my seat waiting to see who would take which card and who would win the match.

Overall another highly entertaining series that kept my interest throughout.

• Like 1

I’m finishing up Nichijou after taking a break from it. I’d say the first half of the anime is better, but the second half still has some great moments. The art and animation are consistently good throughout though.

• Like 1

Okay so its been a minute since I last posted on here.

PC had issues...

Death Note GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Finally completed Death Note with my mates, was re-watching this one and it took forever. 

Sol Bianca

sol bianca | Tumblr

Watched the Sol Bianca, wasn't the best film ever but it was severable plus Tiffany Grant was one of the dub actors and enjoyed her work in Evangelion. 

Fate Grand Order First Order

Fate/Grand Order: First Order Gifs 3 | Anime Amino

Really enjoyed this fate film, RIP Director Olga Marie Animusphere

Fate/Grand Order: Divine Realm of the Round Table Camelot 1 Wandering; Agateram and Camelot 2 Paladin; Agateram

Mordred Camelot GIF - Mordred Camelot Fgo - Discover & Share GIFs

Enjoyed these films, they where action packed and filled with heroic servants doing battle.

Bounty Dogs 

Regarder Bounty Dog OAV Anime Complet VF VOSTFR HD Gratuitement

No gifs of this one. Its a really obscure OVA from the late 90s. Famously has the "Yellow-Green" filter over every scene.

Also started Ningen Fushin

Las novelas Ningen Fushin no Boukensha-tachi ga Sekai wo Sukuu you desu ...

This one really cool but is currently airing 

And got to the Commander Red Arch of Dragon Ball

General Blue | Wiki | Dragon Ball Oficial™ Amino

RIP General Blue

• Like 1

Watched some Demon Slayer comedic shorts that went up on Crunchyroll last night, including some that had a Valentines Day theme. A word of warning, if you have a low tolerance for Zenitsu’s outbursts, you may want to skip these :P 

This evening I finished watching Chihayafuru. When I started watching it I wondered how a series based on people playing a card game could be interesting enough to keep me watching for three series. As it turned out I was still watching after 74 episodes because this series has a good and varied cast of characters, excellent animation and artwork, a well constructed and well paced storyline and great background music. The series has a good mix of scenes dealing with the development of the various characters and scenes showing the progress of the karuta games and was very entertaining and engaging to watch.

Overall I found this a highly watchable series and easily among the best series that I've watched this year.

I’m currently watching a bunch of this season. One that I find very lighthearted and cute is The Ice Guy and His Cool Female Colleague. Another one is Handyman Saitou in another world, which has quite a few hilarious moments if you ask me.

Had to take a short break from watching anime due to life but I finished up cowboy bebop, definitely liked it, I'd say it's a classic for a reason, but yeah it's also not the greatest anime of all time or "peak anime" It was fun and cool and that's about it. I also wouldn't say it's a "fresh breath of air" like  I've seen some people online call it, more rather a nostalgia trip since it just feels familiar to alot of the western movies I grew up with. Anyways I'm a bit torn on what to move onto next, I got a lot of series on my shelf right now. I'll probably just watch some of the movies I've been putting off and finish up some of the american shows I've been watching.

Lunchtime I watched Room Camp, a series of 12 three minute shorts featuring three members of the Outdoor Club from Laid Back Camp as they travel round visiting various places of interest, and of course cooking food and visiting hot springs.

The series also includes an 11 minute mini-episode featuring Rin and three wheel scooter as she goes out camping, cooking food and visiting hot springs.

All 13 episodes are great fun to watch and a reminder of how good the main series were and that we need more adventures of Rin, Nadeshiko and the other girls.

• Like 1

The only two new shows I'm currently watching are Nagatoro S2 and Tomo-chan is a Girl. I plan on watching Aggretsuko S5 sometime soon-ish, but other than that, nothing else has really caught my eye yet.

I'm thinking about revisiting Yu Yu Hakusho, only this time, I can watch it in chronological order and without commercial interruptions like it was when it aired on Toonami years ago.

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 2