What anime are you watching now?

Optic

13 hours ago, Animedragon said:

So overall a disappointing series and a contender for the worst series I've seen this year. 

In its defence I think White Album actually had the potential to be a good series exploring the problems of being a new singer trying to break into the professional music industry and how the stresses of rivals, studio rehearsals, media attention and production schedules affects the personal life, emotional well-being and personal relationships of both the new singer and their friends and family.
Instead they decided to bury any overall plot with a morass of poorly thought out and pointless sub-plots and a large female cast whose actions tended to push the series into the boundaries of harem show territory.
A good opportunity lost.

5 hours ago, Animedragon said:

In its defence I think White Album actually had the potential to be a good series exploring the problems of being a new singer trying to break into the professional music industry and how the stresses of rivals, studio rehearsals, media attention and production schedules affects the personal life, emotional well-being and personal relationships of both the new singer and their friends and family.
Instead they decided to bury any overall plot with a morass of poorly thought out and pointless sub-plots and a large female cast whose actions tended to push the series into the boundaries of harem show territory.
A good opportunity lost.

well from what i heard the visual novel is a lot better so maybe they animated one of the bad routes or something like that. Well i don't really know but since the visual novel is loved by a lot of people it may just be the fault of the animators?

15 minutes ago, Soramee_ said:

well from what i heard the visual novel is a lot better so maybe they animated one of the bad routes or something like that. Well i don't really know but since the visual novel is loved by a lot of people it may just be the fault of the animators?

hard create from good manga in to good anime.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

I hadn't realised that White Album was based on a visual novel. To create a good single story line anime from a visual novel is quite difficult as some of the story routes may contradict each other, so I suspect the creators of the White Album anime tried to include too many of the incidents from the VN and ended up with an over complex and confusing story line.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've now started on White Album 2, which confusingly is not a sequel to White Album but does include some of the songs and mentions some of the characters from White Album. Like White Album the source material is a visual novel, but, based on the first four episodes, they've done a better job on WA2. The artwork and animation are also a higher standard.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

i am currently on episode 8 of handyman saitou and.... 

Spoiler

that ending was something else, I didn't expect that at all. Honestly I'm still shocked

On 2/25/2023 at 3:19 AM, Ohayotaku said:

The most recent episode was episode 8, so no way you finished it without a TARDIS. And confirmed 13 episodes for it’s debut season (though I’ve seen comments from people saying the rate it’s covering the source material there’s only enough for a single season)

It's why I asked if there was more episodes, lol. (I'm autistic so I sometimes write weird). 

These romantic animes like Tomo-Chan Is A Girl are really wasted on me. I really cannot watch them. For me the charm of anime is that with drawing you can create any scenery you want and any storyline and any special effect. if i want to watch romantic stuff i just watch a normal romcom movie

This evening I finished White Album 2. The artwork and animation are of a high quality and the storyline, which revolves around one guy and two girls who get together as a Light Music Club with the aim of performing at their high school's fair and while it's a simple story it's well told and well paced. The three main characters are all well developed during the series and all have very different, and believable personalities. As you will have guessed, the three form a love triangle, but it's not quite that simple. Being a story based around a light music club music plays quite a large part in the story and the background music is excellent.
Overall I found this a very enjoyable series to watch.

Edited by Animedragon
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

16 hours ago, Bulleje76 said:

These romantic animes like Tomo-Chan Is A Girl are really wasted on me. I really cannot watch them. For me the charm of anime is that with drawing you can create any scenery you want and any storyline and any special effect. if i want to watch romantic stuff i just watch a normal romcom movie

I get what you're saying but I'm ok with romcoms, or anything really.  As long as there's a story.  My favorites are "hard" science fiction and anime is one medium where the authors can create anything they want.  Nothing better than a really good science fiction story that keeps the science part real but nevertheless still manages to blow your mind with their vision.  Unfortunately those are pretty rare so in between I do romcoms, or whatever.  :)

The ones that I don't get are the ones that just go on and on and on and never really resolve anything or get anywhere.  Like I said, I prefer animes with a story, and I think endings are a really important part of a story so if something seems like it is just dragging on I tend to lose interest.  It is very rare for me to stick with something beyond a season or two unless the story is exceptional enough to keep me engaged.  Too many plot repeats or filler episodes and I drop it.

• Agree 2

Picked up Cosmo Warrior Zero today it's been sitting on my shelf for a while, and I'm a huge Captain Harlock fan! So of course I'm here to tell you how awesome it was right? I of course was woefully disappointed when I put it in. It has all the pieces of a good show and it falls flat on it's face. I rushed through 7 episodes (mostly because I'm sick and stuck in my room) the only good writing in this show is shockingly the episode previews. I'll get done with a episode, and think "wow that was something... I think I'll rest and let that bad taste out of my mouth" only for the episode preview to promise me a good episode next time and I think "Well I cant stop on that sour note" and fall for the oldest trick in the book lol. Either way I'm going to finish this tomorrow, because I spent like 20 dollars on the dvd a year or so ago and I'm already halfway through so I might as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Admiral_Fall
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Like I said, I prefer animes with a story, and I think endings are a really important part of a story

I totally agree with you. A good story needs a beginning, a middle and an ending, stories that are all middle aren't really stories they're soap operas!*

And for me stories have to have good endings, one thing that really annoys me is anime that either have a bodged ending or a final episode where the story just stops without any hint of resolution. I don't necessarily want everything neatly tied up, but I do want a believable closure to the story. 

* for those unused to the term 'soap opera', they're those TV dramas that are usually shown every evening and follow the lives of a bunch of characters who live in a small area. Some of these shows run for decades and ultimately just reuse the same storylines but with different characters each time round.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I get what you're saying but I'm ok with romcoms, or anything really.  As long as there's a story.  My favorites are "hard" science fiction and anime is one medium where the authors can create anything they want.  Nothing better than a really good science fiction story that keeps the science part real but nevertheless still manages to blow your mind with their vision.  Unfortunately those are pretty rare so in between I do romcoms, or whatever.  :)

The ones that I don't get are the ones that just go on and on and on and never really resolve anything or get anywhere.  Like I said, I prefer animes with a story, and I think endings are a really important part of a story so if something seems like it is just dragging on I tend to lose interest.  It is very rare for me to stick with something beyond a season or two unless the story is exceptional enough to keep me engaged.  Too many plot repeats or filler episodes and I drop it.

I am big fan of the isekai genre. Do you like that? If so i have some great recommendations

45 minutes ago, Bulleje76 said:

I am big fan of the isekai genre. Do you like that? If so i have some great recommendations

They’re ok in moderation.  I’m kind of turned off by them lately though since everything seems to be crowding into the genre.

I had intended to watch Hyouka lunchtime today because it looked interesting, but although CR says it's available subbed no matter where I looked I couldn't find the sub version anywhere. So after wasting 20 minutes clicking everywhere I gave up and decided to watch Horimiya, another series that looks interesting, but I had the same problem, the sub version was nowhere to be found.  I tried both again this evening with the same lack of success. ☹️

I'll give both another try tomorrow and if the subs still can't be found I'll move on to another series on my list.

13 minutes ago, Animedragon said:

I had intended to watch Hyouka lunchtime today because it looked interesting, but although CR says it's available subbed no matter where I looked I couldn't find the sub version anywhere. So after wasting 20 minutes clicking everywhere I gave up and decided to watch Horimiya, another series that looks interesting, but I had the same problem, the sub version was nowhere to be found.  I tried both again this evening with the same lack of success. ☹️

I'll give both another try tomorrow and if the subs still can't be found I'll move on to another series on my list.

Out of curiosity, how many anime titles are on your plan to watch list?

50 minutes ago, Animedragon said:

What is the full name of Hyouka? Cause i believe i have it for you

I have this one:

Hyouka 2012
Group: Coalgirls
Video: BD 1920x1080 10-bit h.264 (6417 Kb/s - 13079 Kb/s)
Audio: Japanese 2.0 16-bit FLAC ~600 Kb/s
Subtitles: English Styled ASS (Mazui)
Size: 37 gig

8 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Some of the newer additions to Crunchy have both, at least if you're using the web interface.  Start the first episode then click on the gear thing at the bottom and make sure your audio is set to Japanese and your Subtitles/CC is set to English.  You can make these the defaults by setting them in your profile.

Screenshotfrom2023-03-0222-53-10.thumb.png.7b41129b7f91351126e35bb15b9c536b.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, efaardvark said:

Some of the newer additions to Crunchy have both, at least if you're using the web interface.  Start the first episode then click on the gear thing at the bottom and make sure your audio is set to Japanese and your Subtitles/CC is set to English.  You can make these the defaults by setting them in your profile.

Thank you. Yes, I'm using the web interface and have my audio set to Japanese and Subtitles/CC set to English in my profile, I also tried using the gear icon to set the audio to Japanese with English subtitles but when I did that CR displayed "Something went wrong, try again later" error message. So perhaps yesterday was just a bad hair day for their server, I'll see what happens today.

Oh, and thank you for confirming that the 'gear icon' does what I thought it did..

10 hours ago, Android Rebel said:

Out of curiosity, how many anime titles are on your plan to watch list?

Since December last year when I joined CR my list has had 18 anime titles some of which had more than one season, so that could be said to be 23 titles. 🙂

I've three left to watch, hopefully. Now you might think that by watching that much anime in three months I've been doing a lot of binge-watching, but I usually watch two episodes mid-day while I eat my lunch and another two while I have my evening meal, so that's four episodes a day, and at an average of 24 minutes each that means I spend just over an hour and a half a day watching anime, which I think is a reasonable amount. 😄

When I clear the list I'll have watched 18 new series, well new to me, so I think I may take a bit of time off from new stuff and re-watch some of my old favourites from my DVD/Blu-Ray collection. 🙂

@efaardvark - Today I tried again and the little gear icon did what it's supposed to do and let me watch Hyouka subtitled 🙂 .  CR's server must have just been having a bad day yesterday. So thank you for your helpful suggestions.

So far I'm enjoying watching Hyouka.

• Like 1

Watched the first half of Attack on Titan’s finale.  It may have been unavoidable considering everything at stake, but most of the dialogue felt like scripted speeches instead of actual conversations. And it looks like the high profile final battles have been reserved for the 2nd half (though one character did go out in a blaze of glory here). The 2nd half is currently scheduled for sometime this fall. Of course it will also have it’s share of emotion as Eren, Mikasa & Armin finally have their reckoning.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1