What anime are you watching now?

Optic

On 3/1/2023 at 11:07 PM, Admiral_Fall said:

Picked up Cosmo Warrior Zero today it's been sitting on my shelf for a while, and I'm a huge Captain Harlock fan! So of course I'm here to tell you how awesome it was right? I of course was woefully disappointed when I put it in. It has all the pieces of a good show and it falls flat on it's face. I rushed through 7 episodes (mostly because I'm sick and stuck in my room) the only good writing in this show is shockingly the episode previews. I'll get done with a episode, and think "wow that was something... I think I'll rest and let that bad taste out of my mouth" only for the episode preview to promise me a good episode next time and I think "Well I cant stop on that sour note" and fall for the oldest trick in the book lol. Either way I'm going to finish this tomorrow, because I spent like 20 dollars on the dvd a year or so ago and I'm already halfway through so I might as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[Spoilers]
As I said a few days ago I picked up Cosmo Warrior Zero, and I have to say there is really nothing redeemable about this show. I was hoping that the "big epic space battle" at the end would have some kind of redeemable quality but it was a big letdown. The plot of this show is a complete mess, and feels like a much longer anime that was chopped up into smaller "important" pieces. With unexpected twists and turns in all the wrong places, the loosely connected plot turns into spaghetti within the last 7 or so episodes. Character arcs are started and fulfilled mid episode, a romance forms out of nowhere,  and absolutely nothing is satisfying. Zeth Vorder one of the main "villains" aboard the Hellcastle is dead set on destroying Zero and the Karyu in the final fight. Why exactly? I'm not sure, Zero has basically done nothing the entire series and should be seen as more of a sore under the machine mens thumb than it's greatest threat. The only reason I can come up with is because he's supposed to be a super important and cool character, and the Karyu is supposed to be the best ship in the galaxy but neither make the cut. They try and explain this with "they hate us because we love eachother" type excuse but even that is a poor excuse. Overall this anime stinks, I don't really like to say that because I was kinda excited for this, but it really does. Gets a 3/10 from me (extremely harsh but it left a sour taste in my mouth.)

A story that pins an upcoming captain against the legendary Captain Harlock seems like an amazing concept but it was very poorly executed. In fact that isn't what this show is even about despite what the synopsis might tell you, Zero and his misfit crew just sort of shadow Harlock and form an uneasy alliance with him.

Got home super late, but I wasn't quite ready for bed so I started up the 95 Slayers, I'm only 2 episodes in but It's a petty fun and funny show, definetly will be watching more throughout the week 👍 !

• Like 1

Less than a month left in the Winter 2023 season

Finished season 3 of Iruma-kun. Honestly kinda weak compared to previous seasons, but still hoping for a season 4. Wound up dropping Bofuri 2 at the half-way point. Giving too much screen time to too many characters who aren’t particularly interesting or entertaining, without actually making them interesting/entertaining. And they overused Maple’s “Atrocity “ form to the point it’s not amusing anymore.

Vinland Saga 2, as good as the character & world view development has been, hoping there’s at least a bit more action in the 2nd cour.

Continuing to be hype for MHA 6 after being pretty blasé for the past couple seasons. Finally feels like it’s moving towards some sort of endgame, even though I understand the manga is still ongoing.

Tomo-chan is a Girl remains my favorite new show of the season. Though Misuzu & Carol have a lot to do with that.

Nagatoro 2 has actually been pretty wholesome, though the latest ep (10) brought back an ecchier vibe.

Campfire Cooking in Another World, still enjoyable but the underlying gimmick is definitely wearing thin.

Trigun Stampede’s storyline is finally growing on me, though the latest ep (9) had a glaring scene shift without any explanation for it. And I’ll never fully be able to forgive replacing Meryl & Millie with Mary & Lou. Yes, the reference/clip shows my age but also demonstrates what a trope Roberto & the new version of Meryl are to me.

Still need to finish The Eminence in Shadow & catch up on some other seasonals.

On the non-seasonal front, less than 10 eps left to watch of Monster.

Edited by Ohayotaku

I finished watching Hyouka this evening, it's a series about four friends in their high school classic lit club who spend their time investigating and solving mysteries. The mysteries aren't anything major, mostly just the little odd occurrences that happen and arouse the curiosity of the  club members and make them want to solve them.  The mysteries themselves are quite well presented and thought out. The members of the club all have different personalities and are well drawn and animated, as are the backgrounds. The sound track is interesting because a lot of it is in a soft classical style and at lot of it sounds very much like pieces of music that I know, but before I could identify them they change very slightly and become something else.

Overall I found this to be an interesting and enjoyable series to watch.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I finished watching Hyouka this evening, it's a series about four friends in their high school classic lit club who spend their time investigating and solving mysteries. The mysteries aren't anything major, mostly just the little odd occurrences that happen and arouse the curiosity of the  club members and make them want to solve them.  The mysteries themselves are quite well presented and thought out. The members of the club all have different personalities and are well drawn and animated, as are the backgrounds. The sound track is interesting because a lot of it is in a soft classical style and at lot of it sounds very much like pieces of music that I know, but before I could identify them they change very slightly and become something else.

Hyouka is the best low stakes mystery I know of. The subtle romance was great too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I liked the way every episode had a kininarimasu moment.  :)  

chitanda_is_curious.gif.6374c1fe2203f9201c9aefaf10483194.gif

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I liked the way every episode had a kininarimasu moment.  :)  

chitanda_is_curious.gif.6374c1fe2203f9201c9aefaf10483194.gif

Yes, Eru Chitanda is a great character. Born into a prestigious family she has a refined, dignified and very 'proper' demeanour, until something piques her interest then she becomes a nosy hyper-active person who just HAS to know the answers.  

• Agree 1

I finished watching Horimiya this evening.  I wasn't too sure about it when I started, but it grew on me .  I thought the artwork and animation were good, and the characters all had different and interesting personalities although I did feel that some of the characters were a bit too similar so I sometimes had difficulty working out who was who.

Overall I found it a highly enjoyable series, and I do like a happy ending 🙂.

Finished Monster. Honestly I felt like it dragged on a bit too long & some of the side stories got kinda repetitive. And for all the “answers” it gave & it still left you with plenty of questions to ponder, though I’m certain that was intentional. Would definitely recommend for fans of psychological & dark series or anyone tired of anime that feels all the same.

Will provably binge the 2nd half of To Your Eternity’s 2nd season over the weekend.

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

2 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

Finished Monster. Honestly I felt like it dragged on a bit too long & some of the side stories got kinda repetitive. And for all the “answers” it gave & it still left you with plenty of questions to ponder, though I’m certain that was intentional. Would definitely recommend for fans of psychological & dark series or anyone tired of anime that feels all the same.

Will provably binge the 2nd half of To Your Eternity’s 2nd season over the weekend.

I need to rewatch monster man, first time I completed it I rewatched it with my brother a week later and due to how soon I rewatched it I picked up all the subtle forshadowing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

I just finished isekai ojisan and... I LOVE THIS ANIME. 

Hide contents

I'm so hype for season 2

I’m still waiting for episodes 8-13 to be available on Netflix. Hoping it’ll be by the end of the month as I wasn’t planning on renewing now that I finished Monster.

3 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

I need to rewatch monster man, first time I completed it I rewatched it with my brother a week later and due to how soon I rewatched it I picked up all the subtle forshadowing. 

I don’t know if I’ll ever get around to rewatching it, but am a bit curious whether the manga adds any perspectives/insights.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

Today I decided to have a break from watching new series on CR and watch some of my old favourites from my DVD collection.  So I'm currently watching the wonderful and highly enjoyable little slice of life series Someday's Dreamers which has beautiful artwork, animation and soundtrack along with a great cast of characters.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Finished To Your Eternity season 2. The 2nd cour was an improvement over the 1st in part because Bon was treated as less of a “joke” character & it wound up with a decent ending. However, the series has never really lived up to it’s aspirations IMO. Another season has been greenlit, but I don’t plan to watch as I feel like I’ve invested enough time in it as is.

Started catching up on Revenger which is a samurai series with some interesting perspectives.

Campfire Cooking in Another World episode 10 - welp, guess all modern isekai form a harem at some point (although the 4 goddesses pretty much just pester him for “offerings” of Japanese sweets & junkfood, so not really ecchi :P )

And realize I’m kinda being a broken record, but continuing to really enjoy  Tomo-chan is a Girl even more-so than Nagatoro 2.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1