What anime are you watching now?

Optic

On 1/22/2022 at 12:46 AM, Ohayotaku said:

My Dress-up Darling they really upped the level of fanservice & ecchi in the 2nd ep 😳 I actually hope they dial it back a bit now that Gojo-kun is familiar with the inspiration for Marin’s cosplay & has all the necessary measurements (quite a thorough job 😂 ). As sexy as Marin can be, I actually prefer the more adorkable side the ED puts on display. EDIT: so of course after saying that episode 3 opens on a cringe moment😆 (I probably shouldn’t be surprised). So kind of a balancing act, but still finding it enjoyable over all.

I checked out the first couple eps and I agree.  Haven't seen ep #3 yet but this one can go wrong in so many ways and even the second ep looks to be veering down one of many wrong paths.  It is provisionally on my PTW list but I hope they can recover and keep it together.  I'll be checking  out the reviews before I get back to it at my season-end binge.  If it they make it sound at all sketchy I'll probably skip it.

For now though I'm watching Konohanatei Kitan.  I saw the OP and liked the background artwork so I thought I'd give it a watch.  The backgrounds in the anime proper aren't as good as something like Hanasaku Iruha and the story itself some might call boring but it is cute and I get enough excitement from other parts of my life.  Besides, what's not to like about kitsune girls?  :)  "Relaxing" is my term for it.

I've just finished watching "Your Lie in April" which I enjoyed and found it an interesting story, but a bit difficult to follow in places due to the high number of flashback scenes.  Quite a sad ending, but not as sad as I'd been led to believe.

Definitely one for the rewatch list.

• Like 1

Finished "Faraway Paladin" tonight.  (Still not quite sure about how to translate the title.)  Pretty good overall.  They clearly left it open enough for another season or two, but without resorting to an annoying cliffhanger situation.  Appreciated.  I would not mind seeing it continued.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Finished "Faraway Paladin" tonight.  (Still not quite sure about how to translate the title.)  Pretty good overall.  They clearly left it open enough for another season or two, but without resorting to an annoying cliffhanger situation.  Appreciated.  I would not mind seeing it continued.

A 2nd season has been greenlit, but no word on timing..

Just finished The Orbital Children (Extra-terrestrial Boys & Girls). It was decent, but perhaps overly ambitious in what it tried to accomplish in just 6 episodes)

• Like 1

Got though Black Lagoon (First Season) and DNA2 back on to the Legend of the Galactic Heroes (1988) OVA Season 4 and also Gurren Lagann, as I got the boxset a while back and have been meaning to watch it. Not sure what's next but one think a can say as a certainty

See the source image

Watching almost 110 episodes subbed was really tiring.

I've just finished watching Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions, both series and the final movie, it's got a great cast of characters and is good fun to watch with a nice Ballance of serious and crazy scenes. I like Rikka's imaginative descriptions of things and events.

So I took another peek at Dress-up Darling.  So far I'd only seen the first two episodes but I usually watch the first 3 eps of each season to determine if a given anime will land on my end-of-season binge list.  My initial reaction based on the 1st 2 eps was pretty negative and I almost dropped but I decided to stick with procedure/principle and watched #3.  It didn't go completely off the rails as I'd feared, but neither did it redeem itself.  It has potential but based on what I've seen so far it still seems pretty sketchy.  I do like the technicals.  The voice acting is pretty good, the animating is good, and the story is interesting.  Unfortunately the overall execution seems quite a bit off.  Too many cringy scenes and distractions of dubious merit from the main story line.  Still on the list but pretty much at the bottom.

3 hours ago, klocow said:

today i started K-On! I heard it was good, rn i watched 3 episodes and i like it

I spent my Christmas gift money on the Blu-ray box set of K-On and watched it at the beginning of January.

It's an enjoyable series with a good cast of characters and is definitely on my 'rewatch' list.

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou -- The Daily Life of Highschool Boys
33257.jpg.916a9a1510bdc9311967967b6a6b92e3.jpg

This anime is spunky, comedic, and very nice to watch when having a bad day. 
Highly recommend..! [I understand not everyone are into these kinds of Animes, but have a open mind and enjoy]
Danshi_Koukousei_no_Nichijou_Specials_S-902593485-mmed.jpg.3deee9dceea41a3ea36b09f0040d1670.jpg

I watch most animes on 4anime. It's a free anime streaming website!
artworks-000057476426-q96ijm-t500x500.jpg.7183ccc18c07898683dc551e5a7f9860.jpg

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

5 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

Watched ep 1 to 5 of my dress up darling and even tough this anime has some "cultured" scenes, it's really good!!

6 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Too many cringy scenes

I continue to find it to be the most enjoyable “new” show of the season (honorable mention to the trippy Rust Eater Bisco), but with some caveats. I personally feel like the gyaru cosplay fangirl idea would work just as well without  the S&M eroge angle tacked on. I get that it can be used to make her obsession run counter to gender expectations, like Gojo’s being Hina dolls, but still feels like pandering to the ecchi crowd more than challenging gender boundaries. And the time & attention devoted to Marin’s jiggle physics each week can feel a bit too detailed. But it still manages enough cute romcom moments (like the end scene of ep 5) that I’m rooting for the two of them.

The standouts of the season remain Attack on Titan & Demon Slayer. AoT in particular seems to be living up to expectations for the final culmination of one of the decades most influential series, though it is certainly not an easy watch emotionally (again, to be expected given how dark & graphically violent it  had been previously).

On an anime-adjacent note, I’ve watched through episode 5 of Arcane over the weekend & am finding it more enjoyable than the typical Netflix (western) attempt at adult animation. 

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1