What anime are you watching now?

Optic

10 hours ago, Wodahs said:

ive watched true tears and marked it completed in myanimelist tho other than remembering that ive watched it i dont remember much of it

tho i dont remember watching Starship Operators nor did i make any flags in animelist the trailer seems oddly familiar ill have to check out to see if i have watched it

ive done that a few times , watched something and not updated it to myanimelist

True Tears is good little anime, but not all that memorable.

Starship Operators is a Sci-Fi series with an unusual, different and interesting storyline. In it we see not only the space battles but also the political battles that are going on behind the scenes. It's also got a good soundtrack and a rather haunting ending song.

I've just started watching Violet Evergarden from what I'd seen on-line I wasn't sure what to expect from this series. I'm up to episode 6 so far and finding to be really good.

I'll be back with some more comments when I've finished watching it.

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Caught up on Ranking of Kings. I feel like it’s somewhat overrated but still an enjoyable fairytale style series ( as in folklore, not the series with Natsu & Happy :P )

On 2/24/2022 at 3:59 PM, Animedragon said:

I've just started watching Violet Evergarden from what I'd seen on-line I wasn't sure what to expect from this series. I'm up to episode 6 so far and finding to be really good.

Thanks for reminding me I still need to watch the movie for this (already watched the series & the 2 specials). Letting my Netflix subscription lapse after tomorrow so I can switch to HiDive for a month or two (planning to binge the latest season of Takagi & Lupin). Of course I subscribe to CR & Funi year round for seasonal series.

2 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Aggretsuko, the death-metal singing (karaoke only) red panda

92409142_Screenshotfrom2022-02-2619-44-31.thumb.png.e3b2189841be2b4d982bbf063c5f0dcb.png

I enjoyed seasons 1- 3 but season 4 not so much.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 8:59 PM, Animedragon said:

I'll be back with some more comments when I've finished watching it.

I've now finished Violet Evergarden and found it to be one of the most interesting and original series I've seen for a long time. While many of the episodes were self-contained one-off stories they didn't appear that way and the series retained it's continuing overall storyline. It was interesting to watch Violet's character slowly change from an ex-soldier who couldn't do anything with being given orders to a confident young lady who could make her own decisions and follow them through and in doing so helping so many other people through the letters she wrote.

This anime is definitely going to the top of my rewatch list.

23 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

I enjoyed seasons 1- 3 but season 4 not so much.

Not unusual unfortunately. 

Speaking of which I'm kind of nervous about Love is War for that very reason in fact, now that they've announced a 3rd season.  Fingers crossed.  🤞

3 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Not unusual unfortunately. 

Speaking of which I'm kind of nervous about Love is War for that very reason in fact, now that they've announced a 3rd season.  Fingers crossed.  🤞

While I've not seen Love is War I share your concern for studios who keep releasing new seasons of series.

I think it's often far better to end a series while it's still on a high rather than keep making sequels and run the risk of over-milking the franchise.  Sometimes a 2nd or 3rd season works well, other other times it doesn't I can think of a couple where it would have been better if they'd not been made. I also think this applies to non-anime films and books.

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, Animedragon said:

While I've not seen Love is War I share your concern for studios who keep releasing new seasons of series.

I think it's often far better to end a series while it's still on a high rather than keep making sequels and run the risk of over-milking the franchise.  Sometimes a 2nd or 3rd season works well, other other times it doesn't I can think of a couple where it would have been better if they'd not been made. I also think this applies to non-anime films and books.

For me the ending is often as important as the rest of the story.  If it never ends then I feel I'm missing half the story!  I've walked away from many, many animes because I got bored waiting for the end.  Not naming names but some animes have hundreds of episodes, with most of them filler or essentially repeats of previous episodes.  Who has time for that?

Rewatching Gate.  Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.  :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Otaking66lives said:

Right now? Original Dirty Pair 

dirty-pair-3e3c0278-9adc-43a4-bee0-a902154ec2a-resize-750.jpeg

It wasn't their fault!!

5 hours ago, efaardvark said:

For me the ending is often as important as the rest of the story.  If it never ends then I feel I'm missing half the story!  I've walked away from many, many animes because I got bored waiting for the end.  Not naming names but some animes have hundreds of episodes, with most of them filler or essentially repeats of previous episodes.  Who has time for that?

Rewatching Gate.  Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.  :)

I agree, the ending of a story is as important as the story itself.

For me two of the biggest let-downs in this respect are Neon Genesis Evangelion and Last Exile. 

It looked like they spent so many episodes in Evangelion adding more and more complex plot twists and then suddenly realised they only had two episodes to wrap up the story but plot-wise they'd painted themselves into a corner and couldn't work out how to bring the series to a close. It also looked like they ran out of money so ended up producing the final two episodes as animated story boards. 

As for Last Exile.  I think the series started well but they progressively lost the plot and we ended up with a muddled and inconclusive ending.

I remember hearing an interview with a novelist who said the that one of the most important things about writing a story was to decide on how it would end before you started writing it.

I'm currently watching Maria Watches Over Us. On the face of it this series appears to have very little to commend it, it's about a group of girls at a private catholic high school. There's no real overall storyline, just the day to day interactions of the various characters. But it's those interactions which make the series worth watching, each character has her own unique and believable personality and there is a fairly complex set of relationships between them.
It's an enjoyable, if quite slow moving and mostly serious series, but there is a fair bit of humour in it in both from the dialogue and visuals.

Watched episodes 0 - 2 of Lupin III pt 6 and am intrigued by the way they’re tying into the Sherlock Holmes mythos. I’d attempted to get into Pt 5 when it came out but didn’t care for the feel of it, liking this much better. Despite starting just last year, everything about the style has a retro vibe to it. The CGI for the car chases makes them kind of seem like toys/models, but also gives a sort of Keystone Kops slapstick sense. Watching the ED, couldn’t help but be struck by the similarities to Great Pretrnder’s

Edited by Ohayotaku

Just started Hori-san to Miyamura-kun.  Well, actually I’d watched the first few eps a while back and put it on my ptw but now that it is on crunchy I thought I’d do the rest.

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

4 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Just started Hori-san to Miyamura-kun.  Well, actually I’d watched the first few eps a while back and put it on my ptw but now that it is on crunchy I thought I’d do the rest.

thought id check it out to watch upon seeing your comment

its Horimiya on crunchyroll if you havent found it already

tho it turns out ive already watched it (must have been on animelab) and i enjoyed this one at the time

wonder if id enjoy it as much if i re watched it now , as i just did with The Pet Girl of Sakurasou and it seems even tho i still enjoyed it there was some times i thought parts could be removed due to my dislike now

any way enjoy

at the moment my self im thinking of checking out HENNEKO – The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat as ive never watched it and was a rando crunchyroll suggested when i clicked the random button

haha , nope

ive found what im watching next

Tenjho Tenge

some times interesting things seem to pop up on the random tab in crunchys site so it pays to check it out heaps till you find something when on a drought

Just watched "Violet Evergarden - Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll".
What can I say about this film? ...... How about...

Kyoto Animation have done it again!

This is an amazingly good film; a simple but beautiful story, absolutely stunning visuals and a fantastic soundtrack.
The brief synopsis on the back of the disk package sells this film short, the film was far, far better than I was led to believe and easily the best film I've seen this year.

I'll definitely be watching this again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Madoka Magica : The Movie : Rebellion.

So what was all that about?
It started well enough but was quickly into the surreal psychedelic visuals that were the trademark of the TV series.

Sadly amongst all this psychedelic surrealism the production team seem to have lost sight of the fact that a movie needs those things called "plot" and "storyline", yes, there's some impressive set-pieces but a collection of set-pieces, however good they are, strung together with a few vague linking scenes does not make a movie.

Considering how good the TV series was I was expecting a decent storyline from the movie.

6 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Madoka Magica : The Movie : Rebellion.

So what was all that about?
It started well enough but was quickly into the surreal psychedelic visuals that were the trademark of the TV series.

Sadly amongst all this psychedelic surrealism the production team seem to have lost sight of the fact that a movie needs those things called "plot" and "storyline", yes, there's some impressive set-pieces but a collection of set-pieces, however good they are, strung together with a few vague linking scenes does not make a movie.

Considering how good the TV series was I was expecting a decent storyline from the movie.

Oh, I really enjoyed the film. I don't want to ruin it (for anyone who hasn't seen it) by getting into a spoiler heavy discussion, but I felt the general mystery and it slowly being revealed and the twists worked in the overall context of the plot of the film. I also found Homura's arc pretty enjoyable if tragic.