What anime are you watching now?

Optic

1 hour ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

Oh, I really enjoyed the film. I don't want to ruin it (for anyone who hasn't seen it) by getting into a spoiler heavy discussion, but I felt the general mystery and it slowly being revealed and the twists worked in the overall context of the plot of the film. I also found Homura's arc pretty enjoyable if tragic. 

Thanks for your view on the movie.

Next time I watch the series I'll give the movie another chance.  Watching it a second time and straight after the TV series might change my opinion of it. It wouldn't be unknown for me to enjoy a film or TV series more second time round.

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

1 hour ago, Animedragon said:

Thanks for your view on the movie.

Next time I watch the series I'll give the movie another chance.  Watching it a second time and straight after the TV series might change my opinion of it. It wouldn't be unknown for me to enjoy a film or TV series more second time round.

Cool man, I mean I've heard and seen the film can have something of a mixed reception. I watched the series within a week and then I saw there were films, found out the third was a direct sequel and sat down on a night to watch it. Homura was my favourite character from the show, so getting a full feature film exploring her might make my opinion bias. 

I would agree that the first thirty minutes of the film is more fan service, it lots of nicely animated fights but little really going on. I'd always wanted to see the Holy Quintet as a unit fight, as a personal favourite part of the show was;

Spoiler

when we go back in time and see Homura in her 'first timeline' fighting alongside a confident Madoka and Mami. 

The transformations sequences do get a lot of flack, there is subtle story telling elements in them exploring the different personalities of the girls without directly coming out and saying 'this is the one that runs into things without thinking' so in that sense its defiantly novel. Also the opening might be my favourite from the series, from the song, the lyrics and the accompany animation it just perfect. 

Also moving away from a Magical Girl show, and something decidedly more manly I've completed HxH Hunter Exam arc. Some people say that's the worst arc of the show. If that is the case, I have no idea how great the rest of the show going to be because I binged that in four days. 

I've just finished watching Your Lie in April for the second time and I certainly enjoyed it more the second time round.

This is without doubt a very emotional and sad story, especially in the final half dozen episodes.
However, it is also a very uplifting story, we see Kaori's determination to enjoy life and achieve her aims and not be defeated even though she knows she is seriously ill and may not have long to live. We have the other pianists Takeshi, Emi and Nagi who are all determined to strive to do their best and of course there's Kosei who with the help of his friends, and Kaori in particular, manages to put the shadow of his mother behind him and move forward and enter the musical world once again.

Kaori slipped quietly out of the story without a big emotional farewell scene, but the letter and photograph she left for Kosei had just as much impact.

This is definitely a series I will be watching again.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Otaking66lives said:

Riding Bean

Riding_Bean.jpg

Bean Bandit and Rally Vincent. I'd forgotten about them, but now I vaguely remember watching this way back, good fun action show if I remember correctly.

3 minutes ago, Animedragon said:

Bean Bandit and Rally Vincent. I'd forgotten about them, but now I vaguely remember watching this way back, good fun action show if I remember correctly.

Very good fun...and then Rally gets her own OVA series GunSmithCats.

Gunsmith_Cats_volume_1_cover.jpg

Edited by Otaking66lives
Adding image

5 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Yes, and the Gunsmith Cats manga was rather more, shall we say "adult", than the anime version.

Particularly Goldie’s arc.  On a similar note, recently put Part 6 of Lupin III on hold to start watching The Woman Called Fujiko Mine 😳 (at least the OP lets you know what to expect).

And watched the penultimate episode of 86 (Eighty-six). Well worth the nearly 3 month hiatus. Looking forward to the finale next weekend. Though it’s unlikely to wrap-up everything, there may even be another season announced.  From the episode title, sounds like the focus will be on Lena, who didn’t get much screentime in the 2nd cour/season.

Edited by Ohayotaku

I watched a bit of 1990's retro Sci-Fi Cyperpunk today in form of Armitage III.
A four part OAV series with lots of action, some of it quite violent, but still as good a series as it was when I watched it way back.

It's always interesting to see what anime creators in the 1980's & 90's thought the world of the 21st Century would be like.

• Cool (Kakkoii) 2

This evening I just started Majo no Tabitabi, aka Traveling Witch

6 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I watched a bit of 1990's retro Sci-Fi Cyperpunk today in form of Armitage III.
A four part OAV series with lots of action, some of it quite violent, but still as good a series as it was when I watched it way back.

It's always interesting to see what anime creators in the 1980's & 90's thought the world of the 21st Century would be like.

That era was a bit of a dry spell for me.  I like my SF "hard" and stuff like Akira and Neon Genesis.. isn't.  I'm not a big fan of the whole "gundam" thing from that era either, though I guess Patlabor was ok, and I do confess to being something of a Bubblegum Crisis fan at the time.  Otherwise I just couldn't get into any of it.  (I'm actually having a hard time even remembering any titles from early in that age.)  It wasn't until the late 90s and stuff like Ghost in the Shell that things started to get interesting again for me.  The late 90s also had stuff like Berserk and Cowboy Bebop and Trigun.  Not exactly my kind of SF, but good nevertheless.

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

3 hours ago, efaardvark said:

This evening I just started Majo no Tabitabi, aka Traveling Witch

That era was a bit of a dry spell for me.  I like my SF "hard" and stuff like Akira and Neon Genesis.. isn't.  I'm not a big fan of the whole "gundam" thing from that era either, though I guess Patlabor was ok, and I do confess to being something of a Bubblegum Crisis fan at the time.  Otherwise I just couldn't get into any of it.  (I'm actually having a hard time even remembering any titles from early in that age.)  It wasn't until the late 90s and stuff like Ghost in the Shell that things started to get interesting again for me.  The late 90s also had stuff like Berserk and Cowboy Bebop and Trigun.  Not exactly my kind of SF, but good nevertheless.

I think, almost, everyone was a Bubblegum Crisis fan I still like the series and still listen to my BGC soundtrack CDs. Patlabor was good at the time and I quite liked it, but I watched some of it a couple of months back and I don't think it has 'worn' as well as some other shows. I never got into Gundam, I was (and still am) a Macross fan. But like you I have a hard job remembering the shows from the 80s & 90s, I only remembered Armitage III because I saw the DVD at the back of the cupboard and thought I'd give it a watch.

Curiously while it was the Sci-Fi shows that really got me into anime I tend more towards the slice of life shows these days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Curiously while it was the Sci-Fi shows that really got me into anime I tend more towards the slice of life shows these days.

Sci-Fi was a pretty big influence in getting me into anime too. Star Blazers & Robotech were the 2 earliest series to really make an impact on me. That being said, I have yet to actually watch an entry in the Gundam franchise from start to finish (Iron Blooded Orphans was probably the closest I came). I have really been enjoying 86 though & consider it to be one of the better anime in recent years.

Nowadays I tend to be drawn to series with a fantasy(D&D) or supernatural/paranormal angle to them. Slice of Life/CGDCT & comedy series tend to be hit or miss with me. Sports & Idol along with BL are probably the genres with the least appeal for me.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

Sci-Fi was a pretty big influence in getting me into anime too.

Yeah, it was pretty similar with me. Without series like legend of the galactic heroes or Yamato 2199 I wouldn't have even realized how good anime could be. 

15 hours ago, efaardvark said:

That era was a bit of a dry spell for me.  I like my SF "hard" and stuff like Akira and Neon Genesis.. isn't.  I'm not a big fan of the whole "gundam" thing from that era either, though I guess Patlabor was ok.  Otherwise I just couldn't get into any of it.  (I'm actually having a hard time even remembering any titles from early in that age.)  It wasn't until the late 90s and stuff like Ghost in the Shell that things started to get interesting again for me.  The late 90s also had stuff like Berserk and Cowboy Bebop and Trigun.  Not exactly my kind of SF, but good nevertheless.

I've only been into anime for a short time now, however I too find 90s as sort of a soft barrier for me. Anything older is just not that interesting for some reason. I mean there has been a few 80s shows I liked, but I've most stuck to 90s+ for most of the Anime I sit down to watch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

Yeah, it was pretty similar with me. Without series like legend of the galactic heroes or Yamato 2199 I wouldn't have even realized how good anime could be. 

I've only been into anime for a short time now, however I too find 90s as sort of a soft barrier for me. Anything older is just not that interesting for some reason. I mean there has been a few 80s shows I liked, but I've most stuck to 90s+ for most of the Anime I sit down to watch. 

I think that in the 80's & 90's series were either a mecha series or a comedy series. Now, I realise that that is a pretty sweeping statement and there were a number of series that weren't mecha or comedy but it seems to me, thinking back at the series that the 80's & 90's series that were being released on VHS when I started watching anime in 1996 were either mecha or comedy.

The mecha examples that come most readily to my mind are Macross and Gunbuster. Evangelion broke the standard mold for mecha shows that the others seemed to follow, which was I think a major factor in its poplarity. The comedy series that come most readily to my mind are Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura.
These series are sort of like my anime watching history, and watching them now they all have a definite artwork style that's very different from later series.

I think that if I was starting out watching anime now I'd be looking to watch more recent series rather than those 80's & 90's series.

21 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I think that in the 80's & 90's series were either a mecha series or a comedy series. Now, I realise that that is a pretty sweeping statement and there were a number of series that weren't mecha or comedy but it seems to me, thinking back at the series that the 80's & 90's series that were being released on VHS when I started watching anime in 1996 were either mecha or comedy.

The mecha examples that come most readily to my mind are Macross and Gunbuster. Evangelion broke the standard mold for mecha shows that the others seemed to follow, which was I think a major factor in its poplarity. The comedy series that come most readily to my mind are Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura.
These series are sort of like my anime watching history, and watching them now they all have a definite artwork style that's very different from later series.

I think that if I was starting out watching anime now I'd be looking to watch more recent series rather than those 80's & 90's series.

See I've been able to watch stuff like Berserk, Eva. Those shows seem pretty timeless despite having that clearly 90's artstyle. However with the shows from the eighties I think it the general pacing differences of that era of Anime that bores me. Like Gundam for example, I've watched the first series and honestly it might have only been forty something episodes but it felt like an eternity of "next time..." stories. Nothing really happened, compare that to Monster or Full Metal which are longer shows, I just feel the pacing of those shows and the charatization is more my wave length. 

• Like 1