What anime are you watching now?

Optic

18 hours ago, peachtea said:

Life With An Ordinary Guy Who Reincarnated Into A Total Fantasy Knockout next. 

I’m currently watching that. It definitely has some funny moments scattered throughout.

I saw Jujutsu Kaisen 0 at the movies thursday night. Similar to Demon Slayer Mugen Train, I feel like the tv series is better. The movies are more about the visual/audio spectacle than anything. Wasn’t really a fan of the MC either. But found it amusing how the younger Maki had more of tsundere streak to her. And of course Gojo remains a smartass 🤣

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Funny 1

Miss Kuroitsu from the Monster Development Department. Concept wise a parody/satire of the Tokusatsu genre & the struggles of development/engineering in a corporate work culture. But it can be surprisingly heartfelt as well as funny, this week in particular. Seems to get better every week and my pleasant surprise (under rated) series of the season.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 2

Just finished the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya and yeah... this is and will always be a masterpiece. I haven't watch the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya already but i will soon. 

• Agree 2

On 3/17/2022 at 12:41 PM, MediaConsumesMe said:

However with the shows from the eighties I think it the general pacing differences of that era of Anime that bores me. Like Gundam for example, I've watched the first series and honestly it might have only been forty something episodes but it felt like an eternity of "next time..." stories. Nothing really happened, compare that to Monster or Full Metal which are longer shows, I just feel the pacing of those shows and the charatization is more my wave length.

My 2 cents on that is that you have to understand that streaming didn't become a big option until the 90s.  Prior to that there weren't many options besides the network TV or video rentals.  Bandwidth for things like 'Net connections was expensive.  Even on TV many people were still dealing with just the 13 broadcast channels.  The WWW itself wasn't a thing until Tim Berners-Lee thought of the concept in 1989, and the first graphics-capable browser didn't exist until 1992ish.  Funimation didn't come along until 1994.  Netflix until 1997.  Crunchyroll in 2006.

Prior to all that things progressed much slower than they do today.  Imagine having to go to a physical library to look stuff up that everyone googles (after 1998) on their cellphone now.  If you wanted to watch something you had to first hear about it - typically from friends or something like a monthly magazine - then you had to go find it and rent it from someplace like blockbuster.  Network TV played what they wanted, when they wanted.  Viewers had no direct part in selecting what was shown.  Things like pay-per-view were still kind of expensive niche products on the "new" cable services.  Generally if the network happened to be showing something you liked when you had time to watch it then you were in luck.  If not, oh well.  Go read a book.  It was a much more laid-back time.  (Some people would use words like "boring" or "stifling", but you get the picture.)

Then in the late nineties / early noughties there was an incredible acceleration in everything.  Everything started happening on "internet time", which seemed to be about 50 times faster than normal time.  At least.  There was also an incredible expansion in options.  You could go to something like Funi or Netflix and find a huge selection available for watching on-demand.  Even network TV expanded to hundreds of channels, which of course had to be filled with some sort of programming.  That changed a lot.  Most people didn't have time for slow-paced anything, especially people who lived on "internet time".  There was also a lot more interest in exploring anything new and different.  New, single-topic cable channels like "adult swim" (2001) introduced anime to huge numbers of new fans.  That's when we started seeing things like Berserk and Ghost in the Shell.  I don't think that is a coincidence.

• Like 3

On 3/19/2022 at 11:53 AM, Ohayotaku said:

I’m currently watching that. It definitely has some funny moments scattered throughout.

My only problem is that Slam Dunk has 101 episodes and I'm only on episode 25. It will be ages before I move on to A Total Fantasy Knockout. I'm watching Neon Genesis Evangelion between that so it doesn't help. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, peachtea said:

My only problem is that Slam Dunk has 101 episodes and I'm only on episode 25.

I’d signed up for Hulu at a discounted rate with the intention of making some progress on the original Inuyasha, but keep focusing on newer series instead 😂 And once a series gets close to the 100 episode mark I struggle to keep interested.

• Like 2
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Just finished Mushoku Tensei.  I have to admit that I didn't think much of this one at first.  In fact, I almost dropped it early on a number of times.  If it had kept going like that I no doubt would have.  Fortunately it got much better in the last few episodes and the ending made it not only worth watching but I actually think it turned out pretty good.  Might even be in the top three that I've seen this year.

• Agree 2

On 3/20/2022 at 5:35 PM, Ohayotaku said:

I’d signed up for Hulu at a discounted rate with the intention of making some progress on the original Inuyasha, but keep focusing on newer series instead 😂 And once a series gets close to the 100 episode mark I struggle to keep interested.

I'd be sad if that happened to me! Slam Dunk is an amazing anime so far, I can't picture losing interest but I'm not even near the halfway point of episode 50 yet. Hope it keeps up but I'm also dedicated, that should help! 

• Like 2

On 3/20/2022 at 6:35 PM, Ohayotaku said:

That's my problem, too. I'm from the older otaku generation where the longest anime with few exceptions was 48-50 episodes long. Exceptions were Urusei Yatsura, K.O.R., Maison Ikkoku etc. So I have trouble maintaining interest into a longer anime...especially if the excess of episodes just happen to be FILLER!!!!!

49 minutes ago, Otaking66lives said:

That's my problem, too. I'm from the older otaku generation where the longest anime with few exceptions was 48-50 episodes long. Exceptions were Urusei Yatsura, K.O.R., Maison Ikkoku etc. So I have trouble maintaining interest into a longer anime...especially if the excess of episodes just happen to be FILLER!!!!!

FMA: Brotherhood & the original Cardcaptor Sakura are probably a couple of the longest series I completed and enjoyed throughout. I’m currently on episode 86 of Attack on Titan. I’m continuing to follow My Hero Academia but honestly haven’t been particularly hyped about it since the end of season 3. 

Edited by Ohayotaku

I just caught up on Dress up Doll.  I tried.  I wanted to like it, and it did have its moments, but ultimately the cringe overpowered the cute by a pretty wide margin for me.  Now they're accidentally in a love hotel.  She's even dressed as a succubus.  Really?  About the best I can say about it is that at least the fan service is a step above the usual panty flashes and inadvertent boob-squeezing.  Even as close as I am to the end I don't think I'll bother watching the rest of it.  I have way more anime than I have time to watch as it is.  Moving on to the next in the list.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I just caught up on Dress up Doll.  I tried.  I wanted to like it, and it did have its moments, but ultimately the cringe overpowered the cute by a pretty wide margin for me.  Now they're accidentally in a love hotel.  She's even dressed as a succubus.  Really?  About the best I can say about it is that at least the fan service is a step above the usual panty flashes and inadvertent boob-squeezing.  Even as close as I am to the end I don't think I'll bother watching the rest of it.  I have way more anime than I have time to watch as it is.  Moving on to the next in the list.

It would definitely be better if they toned things down a bit. For all the hyoe surrounding it, Takagi season 3 is actually rated higher on MAL (I jjust caught up to the Christmas episode in that one).

• Like 1

I'ma bout to watch Initial D. One of the best racing Anime/Manga series that's out there, so far. But i do recommend reading MF-Ghost, if you finished reading Initial D.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sonic said:

I'ma bout to watch Initial D. One of the best racing Anime/Manga series that's out there, so far. But i do recommend reading MF-Ghost, if you finished reading Initial D.

Niceeee. I'm also currently watching Initial D and It's super good!!

I just decided to give Kill la Kill a try when I found out it was written and directed by the same guys who created Gurren Lagann. So currently at episode 11, also watched up to episode 12 of Samuari Champloo. And finally after what was probably over a year, after all the anticipation, Heaven Feel Spring Song has finally released in the UK. I will on the weekend finally be able to complete the Heaven Feel trilogy. 

Given that the first two were fantastic (in my opinion) I can't wait to see the conclusion.

• Cool (Kakkoii) 2

I'm just finishing watching Love Hina again after, well, rather a long time. It's as crazy and off the wall as I remember it to be.

The two movies are what anime series movies should be, a continuation of the story not an attempt to recap the whole 24 episodes in one and a bit hours.

• Agree 1

Watched the first 2 episodes of a new series on CR called ESTAB LIFE: Great Escape & honestly not sure what to make of it 😅 Setting aside my dislike for CGI where characters frequently look like mannequins, the concept of different regions with their own “culture” and code of conduct kinda reminds me of Kino’s Journey or Wandering Witch. And the overall theme seems to be one of being willing to risk your life to escape your assigned role & pursue your dreams elsewhere. But it nonetheless takes a rather tongue-in-cheek approach much of the time. At the very least I think it deserves the benefit of the 3 episode rule

Edited by Ohayotaku