What anime are you watching now?

Optic

3 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

Just finished Houkago teibou nisshi and this is one of the most enjoyable show. I. have. ever. watch. Without joking I will recommend it to anyone

Definitely a surprisingly enjoyable CGDCT series 

I finished Ranking of Kings today. Decent, but consider it somewhat overrated.  

Royal Space Force : Wings of Honneamise.

I first saw this film back in the mid 1990's when VHS ruled the home entertainment industry, and I thought it was a really good film. So when the DVD era dawned and I was replacing my old VHS tapes with DVDs it was one of the films I wanted to have in my DVD collection but the DVD release when it came out was one of those Special Editions and *seriously* expensive, so I didn't buy it.

Then last week I spotted it on Amazon at a 'bargain bin' price so I added it to my current order. Last night I settled down to watch it, for a film made in 1987 it is very much a product of its time and has the distinctive 80's anime style, this is not a bad thing of course and there are many 80's anime series that are still well worth watching, but to my mind Wings of Honneamise is not one of them and the 25 years since I last watched it have not been kind to it.

I can see why when it was first released it was regarded as a great film, but I don't think it has aged well and I found the storyline pacing a bit slow and even slightly boring in places. Part way through the film someone knocked on my door, now normally this would annoy me as I don't like being interrupted while watching anything, but I was quite willing to hit pause and answer the door and I suspect that had the call been about something that needed immediate action I would quite happily not gone back to the film.

I realise that there must be those who regard Wings of Honneamise as a great film and I'm sorry if I've upset or offended you, but in my opinion (for what it's worth) it was a great film that just hasn't stood the test of time.

On 3/25/2022 at 8:35 AM, Animedragon said:

Royal Space Force : Wings of Honneamise.

I first saw this film back in the mid 1990's when VHS ruled the home entertainment industry, and I thought it was a really good film. So when the DVD era dawned and I was replacing my old VHS tapes with DVDs it was one of the films I wanted to have in my DVD collection but the DVD release when it came out was one of those Special Editions and *seriously* expensive, so I didn't buy it.

Then last week I spotted it on Amazon at a 'bargain bin' price so I added it to my current order. Last night I settled down to watch it, for a film made in 1987 it is very much a product of its time and has the distinctive 80's anime style, this is not a bad thing of course and there are many 80's anime series that are still well worth watching, but to my mind Wings of Honneamise is not one of them and the 25 years since I last watched it have not been kind to it.

I can see why when it was first released it was regarded as a great film, but I don't think it has aged well and I found the storyline pacing a bit slow and even slightly boring in places. Part way through the film someone knocked on my door, now normally this would annoy me as I don't like being interrupted while watching anything, but I was quite willing to hit pause and answer the door and I suspect that had the call been about something that needed immediate action I would quite happily not gone back to the film.

I realise that there must be those who regard Wings of Honneamise as a great film and I'm sorry if I've upset or offended you, but in my opinion (for what it's worth) it was a great film that just hasn't stood the test of time.

Me and Marathon watched it about a year ago, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I think if my memory holds up the film is very slow at the start, but I enjoyed the story as it got going and ramped up. But it been a while since I've last seen it and now that I've watched more anime it might not hold up as well as it did. 

Log Horizon's first season + finishing Yashahime. I also plan to finish a lot of the shows I've had on hold for about one billion years lol

• Funny 1

"Sound! Euphonium"

This is an unpretentious little series about a high school concert band club and their quest to enter and win an inter-school band competition. It's told primarily through the lives of four of the band's members as they learn to play their instruments and learn to play the music they'll perform in the contest. There are no major dramas for them to face, actually there are, but they're the sort that are very important to school students but have little relevance in the world outside school.

Even though I have no real interest in classical music or bands I found it to be a very enjoyable little series to watch.

On 3/27/2022 at 5:20 AM, RZ. said:

I also plan to finish a lot of the shows I've had on hold for about one billion years lol

Saaame!

On episode 34 of Slam Dunk now and added Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan to the list of anime I'd like to watch. I put Neon Genesis Evangelion on hold for now, at episode 11.

• Like 2

I've just finished watching Violet Evergarden, TV series and movie 1, for the second time.
The first time I saw it I thought it was a really good anime.
Second time round I think it's an outstandingly excellent anime.

A few days ago I posted this about anime on another topic:
It can reach into your heart and break it.
It can reach into your heart and lift it up.

I think that just about sums up every episode of Violet Evergarden.

(All I want now is a UK Blu-Ray or DVD release of the second movie.)

14 hours ago, peachtea said:

Saaame!

On episode 34 of Slam Dunk now and added Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan to the list of anime I'd like to watch. I put Neon Genesis Evangelion on hold for now, at episode 11.

Oh wow. I binged NGE in about 2 days. The anime that got me into anime...

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Currently I'm at episode 19 of Samuari Champloo, so gonna try and finish that one in the next week. Also, I've finally got my hands of Spring Song and after some delivery shenanigans I've also got Prestel Flower and Lost Butterfly blue rays (I only had the DVDS before). I plan on marathoning the entire trilogy come this Friday. The anticipation I am feeling for this set of films right now. I can hardly wait.  

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 4:49 PM, RZ. said:

Oh wow. I binged NGE in about 2 days. The anime that got me into anime...

I honestly wish that I could do something like that! Anime is one of my favorite hobbies but other things always require my attention. ;-; It leaves me so far behind to where it takes me forever to finish a show. Sailor Moon and DBZ got me into anime, fun times! NGE is good, I'm happy it secured your interest. ^^

• Like 1

9 hours ago, peachtea said:

I honestly wish that I could do something like that! Anime is one of my favorite hobbies but other things always require my attention. ;-; It leaves me so far behind to where it takes me forever to finish a show. Sailor Moon and DBZ got me into anime, fun times! NGE is good, I'm happy it secured your interest. ^^

Honestly, I'm the same. That's why I rate it so highly along with a couple of other shows. Most of the time I manage 1-3 episodes a day. I barely ever binge watch anything so when I do it shows just how good it was!

• Like 1