Smoking

Optic

I was raised by my parents not to smoke. Having said that, I'm not fussed if there are others smoking around me, as long as it's outside or in a dedicated smoking area.

In Australia our government has taken strong action against smoking. So strong that they've been heavily taxed and all boxes were stripped of their brand name packaging, replaced with explicit health warning photos. During my last Europe holiday it made me realise that cigarettes have become very expensive in Australia, whether these initiatives will really help current smokers to quit... we'll have to see as time goes on.

How do you feel towards smoking in your area?

• Informative 1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't smoke but I have nothing against it. My parents smoke so I'm kinda used to it (they only smoke in the kitchen when I'm not around). I also have a lot of friends who smoke and it doesn't bother me :) they try not to smoke directly at my face ;D

I heard about the prices in Australia! It's a lot cheaper here in Slovenia. Smoking indoors is forbiden here (bars, restaurants, disco ...). It wasn't always like that but it's better this way :> Back then when smoking indoors was still allowed it was really horrible in some pubs ... all that smoke ... :P

They tried to do the same thing in Serbia but people were so against it, they had to cancel this new "law"

I am OK with smoking. My mother smokes. I just do not want anyone smoking around me because second-hand smoke is bad for your health. I try to avoid being around smokers.. Haha. I don't even want to try to do hookah. I don't mind if others smoke.

I never smoke, and neither have any of my close relatives. Fortunately neither of my close friends do either. I consider myself lucky.

I had the chance to work with a former MP and he's a chain smoker. He smokes like non-stop, smoking packs after packs. I really feel like telling him off but it wouldn't be very respectful if I were to do that. :\

In Malaysia, the government has banned branding of cigarettes as "light" or "mild". Like, what are the difference? :\

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I am a smoker (2 a day and no more). I realize that it may not make sense to people why others smoke .Personally I only smoke because it helps me sleep as I have trouble sleeping during the night and i readily fall asleep during the day I have tried many different techniques to remedy this and the only one that works for me is getting inebriated before I sleep it makes me wake up at around 5:30 bright eyed and bushy tailed . I smoke because it helps me sleep without loosing my liver or getting on the wrong side of the law . I cant take sleeping pills as they have a bad effect on me and cause me to be sick when i wake as well as muddling my mind for the next two or three days . In south Africa smoking laws keep people from smoking in indoor spaces with the exception of smoking areas in restaurants and private properties and advertising is banned . I grew up with a mother who smokes and a grandmother who smokes (My family lives together as a "clan" i guess) my father was a chain smoker but I only saw him occasionally throughout my life , the little research that i have done on smoking says that for each generation of successive smokers the child is as much as 10% more inclined to be a smoker (per generation) as it is (oddly) a gene that can be passed on through the parents and if both parents are smokers the child is likely to be more than 60% inclined to smoking . Putting this all into account the likelihood that I would not be a smoker is less than 25% . and unfortunately combined with my personality I ended up smoking. I have no regrets though and I believe that it does not define or even contribute , more than a little side note , to who I am as a person.

It has no effect on my health as i use a tobacco pipe (bong) to reduce the effects on my lungs and in fact as I have chronic sinus problems it keeps my nose clear and in good condition for use , I exercise regularly as well so that also helps keep me in check .

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried them they are great if you're looking for a portable hub because the flavour is great and the smoke is very light so it doesn't bother other people as much ( you have no idea how much people complain about smokers and even when they say nothing you can see the hate radiating from them) I find them to be useless because of the lack of actual substance , the smoke comes from a liquid and because of that it's nice and light with a lot of flavor but it doesn't actually "hit" you like a cigarette would. I find them to be less of a stress relief device (the main reason people smoke) and more of a toy for people wanting to "be cool"

No offence to those who do find them useful , this is just my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just being around second hand smoke is really hard on my lungs, let along if I smoked myself. I don't have a problem with other people smoking though, so long as they are just mindful of others and don't do it in a small room or something. The taxing and such against cigarettes is ridiculous.

Guest Jupiter

I'm not a big fan of smoking. I'm not against it. But its not something I'd choose for myself. If someone wants to smoke, thats their choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I was like you. I was raised by my parents, not only not to smoke, but also not to drink, not to have tattoos, not to visit bars... Pretty much raised me not to have any fun. :meh:

I can't stand smokers being around me though, as I don't want to be involved in second-hand smoking. I heard that stuff is worst than smoking a cig yourself. Ugh. No offense to smokers in the community, but if you want to kill yourself with cancer, leave me out of it.

Smoking is disgusting and horrifying, I often wonder why people pay $13-14 just to slowly kill themselves. I usually avoid people who smoke but I am friends with a few though I make sure that they don't smoke around me.

Smoking for me is just a waste of time. What's there t smoking anyway? I think some people just want to smoke to show off to people to make them look cool. And it's definitely not good for the health so why Smoke? And I find it really disturbing when someone would smoke near me. Like what the hell?! Get away from me!

• Like 1

And I find it really disturbing when someone would smoke near me. Like what the hell?! Get away from me!

Haha very true , even smokers don't like being around others that are smoking (when they aren't ) the smell is really bad but you don't smell it when its all over you.

Haha very true , even smokers don't like being around others that are smoking (when they aren't ) the smell is really bad but you don't smell it when its all over you.

Ugh, I hate it.

• 4 months later...

I dont smoke.

tbh, I dont care if some random people smoke, but I feel its better for them to smoke only in smoking zone and not in some public place.

I always had a negative opinion on smoking and I don't think I'll ever smoke (although I'd like to try once cause I'm a terribly curious person :/ ). My father has been smoking for as long as I can remember and it's really affecting his health so the last thing I want is ending up like that (I already have an addiction to sugar,I don't need another one :P ). Still, I have nothing against people who smoke as long as they don't blow their smoke in my face. It's quite sad,though, that some people willingly decide to do something bad for their health....

It's quite sad,though, that some people willingly decide to do something bad for their health....

I think its all started from curiosity, they tried it then they cant get enough of it, even though they knew its bad for their health.

so better dont try it even if you are curious :P, when you start smoking there is a high possibility that you cant stop :P.

I think its all started from curiosity, they tried it then they cant get enough of it, even though they knew its bad for their health.

so better dont try it even if you are curious :P, when you start smoking there is a high possibility that you cant stop :P.

I am aware of it and that's why I'm doing my best to suppress my curiosity :P

I am aware of it and that's why I'm doing my best to suppress my curiosity :P

I hope you can do it until you lose interest on it :P. But then again, my curiosity in smoking is long gone(I had interest on it before xD) so maybe you can do it :P.

Yeah smoking is kind of a turn off for me. Like if I see a pretty girl, that's got a one heck a face and body, and she smokes? Dude I'm out of there. Smoking is that bad to me. It's not because the person that's smoking has bad character or whatever, it's just the smell and the dangers of second degree smoking that's bad to me.

In Australia our government has taken strong action against smoking. So strong that they've been heavily taxed and all boxes were stripped of their brand name packaging, replaced with explicit health warning photos. During my last Europe holiday it made me realise that cigarettes have become very expensive in Australia, whether these initiatives will really help current smokers to quit... we'll have to see as time goes on.

Go Australian Government!!! At least they are making some form of effort to eradicate smoking. I wish the American Government would do the same but all they care about is the revenue it produces.

My take on smoking: Ryuji + smoking = dead Ryuji

I've never smoked in my life except for second hand smoking. Whenever I am around somebody who smokes, I get the heck out of Dodge because I can't breathe and I want to live! MySuffocation is NOT my preferred way to die. If I was to die, Anime Forums would no longer be cursed by my presence. :P