Jump to content

Say something to the person above!


Optic

Recommended Posts

I agree with the fact police should be held accountable when they fire a weapon and that there is far too many police who aren't and aren't even trained properly, here in the USA anyway. There was a lot of discussion saying that police should have to take better courses for Psychology so they could better understand the way some people are acting and the first thing they resort to wouldn't be "oh they are acting erratic let me just shoot them" when this is someone who might have a mental health disorder and be off of medication or just going through an episode and aren't actually much of a threat other than they are causing a bit of a loud disturbance. 

I also agree with what you just said about having body cams on. I don't know what the point is of them wearing them when they get "mysteriously turned off" or the footage "magically disappears" when something happens. 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think a lot of people who are arrested for smaller pettier things (not large crimes), need some psychological help such is with domestic disturbances in some cases. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh ya, and in domestic disturbances also there doesn't really seem to be a lot of resources for people to be able to get out of those situations. I get that a lot of people are scared to leave the situation and it's very hard to leave the situation but a lot of times the police don't do a great deal until it's too late. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And when it's too late and someone gets killed there's a big enquiry where it's discovered the the police and/or social services missed important clues about the real situation. The problem is that abusers are often very good at presenting an "everything is fine" picture to any visitors.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Often also to consider that a person will report it and even attempting to get a restraining order or other types of help on the situation and the courts or police do nothing until it has happened and the person has been killed. They also seem to take issues such as stalking a person lightly too until the person has been murdered or kidnapped. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen reports in the papers and TV news about a murder where it turns out that the victim had approached the police and they'd done nothing. Then they interview a senior police officer who gives their apologies and says they'll learn from the incident, but they never seem to as it happens again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

That does make me sad because they always show stuff on TV about how if you are in an abusive situation you should go to the police, reach out to someone, police will help you, etc and then at the end of the day they do literally nothing. Sometimes they might put you up in a women's shelter or men's shelter but those are just as full of abusive people and half the time worse than the living situation was at home for the person. I don't know about other countries but in the US it is ridiculously hard to get a restraining order from what I've found. I had to deal with a stalker at one point and the only thing the police would do is tell him to quit it lol Even when he showed up to my house with a gun. 

Edited by Sakura
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Being stalked and having someone turn up at you house with a gun must have been a frightening experience.

In the UK a restraining order is a court order that can only be issued in combination with criminal proceedings. So to get one you need to report the individual to the police and take them to court.
It will only be when the judge believes there is a reasonable chance that the victim will continue to be harassed that a restraining order will be granted.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Sakura said:

That does make me sad because they always show stuff on TV about how if you are in an abusive situation you should go to the police, reach out to someone, police will help you, etc and then at the end of the day they do literally nothing. Sometimes they might put you up in a women's shelter or men's shelter but those are just as full of abusive people and half the time worse than the living situation was at home for the person. I don't know about other countries but in the US it is ridiculously hard to get a restraining order from what I've found. I had to deal with a stalker at one point and the only thing the police would do is tell him to quit it lol Even when he showed up to my house with a gun. 

I still think he should have gone to jail or had some repercussion for this.

6 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Being stalked and having someone turn up at you house with a gun must have been a frightening experience.

In the UK a restraining order is a court order that can only be issued in combination with criminal proceedings. So to get one you need to report the individual to the police and take them to court.
It will only be when the judge believes there is a reasonable chance that the victim will continue to be harassed that a restraining order will be granted.

 

From what I have seen many times these people are good at convincing others they are not crazy or pose a threat and convince other people the person they are stalking is just crazy. Even courts, especially should they not have any prior offenses and usually they don't. I never understand much what a restraining order can do however, if the person is coming to kill you a piece of paper cannot stop them. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Zeref said:

I still think he should have gone to jail or had some repercussion for this.

In the UK he probably would have done, the gun most likely would have been seized and destroyed.

26 minutes ago, Zeref said:

From what I have seen many times these people are good at convincing others they are not crazy or pose a threat and convince other people the person they are stalking is just crazy. Even courts, especially should they not have any prior offenses and usually they don't. I never understand much what a restraining order can do however, if the person is coming to kill you a piece of paper cannot stop them. 

And thereby hangs the problem, some people can be incredibly convincing liars and have no respect for the law and as you say a piece of paper isn't going to stop them doing something. Breaking a restraining order is contempt of court, a serious offence which carries a range of stiff penalties. But the person breaking the order has to be caught doing so first, by which time it could be too late for the victim.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Animedragon said:

In the UK he probably would have done, the gun most likely would have been seized and destroyed.

And thereby hangs the problem, some people can be incredibly convincing liars and have no respect for the law and as you say a piece of paper isn't going to stop them doing something. Breaking a restraining order is contempt of court, a serious offence which carries a range of stiff penalties. But the person breaking the order has to be caught doing so first, by which time it could be too late for the victim.

The problem with the person we are talking about that was doing this to me that had the gun, was in the Marines and pretty high ranking so he was legally allowed to have guns on him, and the police likely didn't want to do anything to him because of his rank, which is some BS. 

I know for sure a piece of paper wouldn't have made me feel any safer lol because as you just said if they break the restraining order it's probably because the person doesn't care and has the intention of hurting you in mind already. 

But on a happier conversation note I am finishing my exams for my Bachelor's degree tomorrow :) 

  • Agree 1
  • Friendly 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Sakura said:

But on a happier conversation note I am finishing my exams for my Bachelor's degree tomorrow :) 

I hope all goes well and you pass your exams.

  • Friendly 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did you know a chicken once lived for 18 months without a head? His name was Mike the chicken and this was recorded back in the 1940s in the USA. He survived as his jugular vein and most of his brainstem were left mostly intact, ensuring just enough brain function remained for survival.

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well that is the most horrifying thing I have heard all day. How did he eat though I need answers ._.

  • Funny 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've heard about the headless chicken before and I agree, it's one of the most horrifying things I've heard. It was quite famous and its owner toured the US with it, he fed it with it a dropper.

The poor chicken died in 1947.

  • Agree 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, the chicken was able to survive due to the brain stem was intact and he did not bleed to death due to a blood clot that was able to form. They toured with the chicken at sideshows to show him off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That honestly sounds like something you would see at one of these sideshows lol ~ I remember kind of seeing something like a sideshow once, where it was supposed to have "Giant man-eating Russian rats!!" But it was really just some rats that look the same size as the ones you encounter in the NYC subway 😵‍💫

20 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I've heard about the headless chicken before and I agree, it's one of the most horrifying things I've heard. It was quite famous and its owner toured the US with it, he fed it with it a dropper.

The poor chicken died in 1947.

I was wondering how on Earth they would feed it. That sounds as equally disgusting if you had to feed it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sakura said:

I was wondering how on Earth they would feed it. That sounds as equally disgusting if you had to feed it. 

What I find also disgusting is that the guy made money out of the poor chicken by touring and displaying it at sideshows.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Zeref said:

Humans like to exploit things in any way they can for money for what I have seen. 

For this reason, and many others I won't get into, I'm mostly a misanthropic person. The only exceptions to my misanthropy are the genuinely kind-hearted people I find on the internet. I can't seem to find anyone like that in-person though. Not where I live anyway. Just to clarify though: I'm not completely misanthropic. I do make exceptions, like my friends on here and the 6 friends I have on Facebook. ^^

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think most people will do just about anything for money. There are some good people out there though that still want to do the right thing. Though, I think they are hard to find sometimes. Most people seem to care about themselves and the people in their "bubble". 

But also speaking of exploiting things such as animals, it also annoys me that the go-to thing for people to seem to do when they find a rare animal or new species or something is to kill it lol ~ Like here is a giant alligator that lived for 70 years and is the longest recorded one in history at 40 feet long and they killed it o_o Just as an example. That seems to be what they do. 

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If people looked outside of their own bubble as you said I think a lot of problems in the world would be solved. If people had more sympathy for others outside of the range of those that they are close to more would get done. A lot of people only think of doing nice things such as donating around holiday times which is nice to do but there is many things that need help all year round. Also yes I agree, the human first response seems to be to kill something knew that they see. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2024 at 2:59 PM, Zeref said:

If people looked outside of their own bubble as you said I think a lot of problems in the world would be solved. If people had more sympathy for others outside of the range of those that they are close to more would get done. A lot of people only think of doing nice things such as donating around holiday times which is nice to do but there is many things that need help all year round. Also yes I agree, the human first response seems to be to kill something knew that they see. 

It seriously annoys me that this is the first response humans have to anything lol "kill it!!" x_x There is so many endangered animals now too that might not even be around in 20-30 years. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Sakura said:

It seriously annoys me that this is the first response humans have to anything lol "kill it!!" x_x There is so many endangered animals now too that might not even be around in 20-30 years. 

A lot of species have become extinct just in the last century including one type of rhinos - the western black rhino. The northern white rhino only has 1 left and it is kept under surveillance in a protective area in Kenya. It may be 2 of them because I have read that one died, leaving only one, and I have also read there are still two remaining. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it was 2 but I think 1 died if I remember right. Either way that's sad ;-; 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...