Does animation quality affect your enjoyment of a show?

mpo48

Well of course it's awesome to have great animation by studios like Ufotable and Witt, but some shows don't have all that great animation but are still very enjoyable. example: utawarerumono (first season), ping pong the animation, ...

So for me it depends on how good the story / comedy is.

If the art is poor, it needs a good story to hold it up. If the story is good, animation issues could be overlooked.

Heck, I'd take a well written, but poorly animated show to a well animated, but poorly written show; the art may not be enough to save the latter, whereas I could still get invested in the former.

Now, if it has both a good story and good animation? Great! But pick one or the other, I'd pick story.

• Agree 1

I can be particular about my art styles, though series I've passed on because of the art style aren't coming to mind! However anything too unappealing ("scruffy" art style), I wouldn't watch, or read, if it was a manga!

XEBEC comes to my mind, with Negima!, however when I look at their art style in Ladies versus Butlers, it's completely different, very round and soft, unless that's because Selenia Flameheart and co. are round and soft ;)!

I have watched bits of Cyborg 009 from the 60s and Cutey Honey from 70s, so it's not like it's a year thing, although art styles do change with time, so Cyborg 009 and Cutey Honey might be exceptions to the standard art style of those times!

To pick up on something you mention in your first post, I was watching Digimon Savers recently, and notice that for a couple of episodes, the animation received an upgrade (for fanservice?), if I have time, I'll see if I can post some snaps, maybe!

I can be particular about my art styles, though series I've passed on because of the art style aren't coming to mind! However anything too unappealing ("scruffy" art style), I wouldn't watch, or read, if it was a manga!

XEBEC comes to my mind, with Negima!, however when I look at their art style in Ladies versus Butlers, it's completely different, very round and soft, unless that's because Selenia Flameheart and co. are round and soft ;)!

I have watched bits of Cyborg 009 from the 60s and Cutey Honey from 70s, so it's not like it's a year thing, although art styles do change with time, so Cyborg 009 and Cutey Honey might be exceptions to the standard art style of those times!

To pick up on something you mention in your first post, I was watching Digimon Savers recently, and notice that for a couple of episodes, the animation received an upgrade (for fanservice?), if I have time, I'll see if I can post some snaps, maybe!

usually when the there is an episode where the animation is noticeably better than most of the episodes it has an extremely skilled animation director directing it if you interested in animation quality related stuff i highly recommend watching this video it explains it way better than i can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLNHSrJoqFM

Interesting stuff, I didn't really think it was so they could up the fanservice (in Digimon Savers) ;)!

Came across something recently that made me re-assess my opinion, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so what someone could consider high quality animation, someone else might not, also people's opinions can change over time/increased association, and this is true for me!

I'm going slightly off topic, as the instance I refer to is a manga, Houkago Play:

I saw the front cover of it and thought "who would read that based on that drawing style?", however I decided to have a look inside anyway, I read the first couple of 4koma, but decided to just browse the pictures for the rest! Although I started with the opinion that the art style wasn't too my liking, my stance after sixty-four pages, was that the art style was quite sweet, or maybe it was the characters, either way, I though differently, with increased exposure!

Interesting stuff, I didn't really think it was so they could up the fanservice (in Digimon Savers) ;)!

Came across something recently that made me re-assess my opinion, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so what someone could consider high quality animation, someone else might not, also people's opinions can change over time/increased association, and this is true for me!

I'm going slightly off topic, as the instance I refer to is a manga, Houkago Play:

I saw the front cover of it and thought "who would read that based on that drawing style?", however I decided to have a look inside anyway, I read the first couple of 4koma, but decided to just browse the pictures for the rest! Although I started with the opinion that the art style wasn't too my liking, my stance after sixty-four pages, was that the art style was quite sweet, or maybe it was the characters, either way, I though differently, with increased exposure!

the naruto vs pain fight in shippuden is a good example of people having drastically different views on what is good animation and art the reason why the characters were off model was to give the animators more freedom to portray movement altough the off model part might just be studio pierrot being studio pierrot

i could not find a video of the naruto vs pain fight but this is also a good example of animation styles that divides opinions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fonv0BpUnSo

Edited by Guest

I don't see anything wrong with any of those animations, I would say that there does seem to be a difference in animation on the mecha and the people in Needless, and the movements at 2:23 (also Needless) seemed a bit unrealistic, but other than that, I didn't see anything wrong with them!

So I was able to identify Needless, C: Soul, Money and Something-or-other, Star Driver and Seikon no Qwaser, but wasn't able to identify the others - I've been out of the game too long ;)!

I don't see anything wrong with any of those animations, I would say that there does seem to be a difference in animation on the mecha and the people in Needless, and the movements at 2:23 (also Needless) seemed a bit unrealistic, but other than that, I didn't see anything wrong with them!

So I was able to identify Needless, C: Soul, Money and Something-or-other, Star Driver and Seikon no Qwaser, but wasn't able to identify the others - I've been out of the game too long ;)!

the other anime featured in the video are hayate the combat butler and kyōran kazoku nikki both have pretty good animation especially hayte the combat butler where the director does things like hire animators that worked on gurren lagan to animate for an episode

Ah yes, I knew they looked familiar! Still got to get round to watching both of those series, actually, I need to get round to watching most of the series I identified too!

I nearly started watching Hayate the Combat Butler back when it was only 52 episodes (I do have the first volume of the manga, I think), now there's how many @_@? One day I guess :D!

Edited by Guest

Due to having been spoiled with beautiful animation from more modern titles, to this day I personally would find it difficult to watch really old anime TV series... such as the first Mobile Suit Gundam series that came out in 1986. Haven't seen it and probably wouldn't go out of my way to watch it unless it was recommended to me - SEED, Unicorn and Iron Blooded Orphans are the current Gundam series I have enjoyed.

The earliest anime TV series I ever saw was Neon Genesis Evangelion which came out in 2006 which I still love up to this day. Although the animation wasn't overly great (it did have budget issues) it was definitely a game-changer at the time.

Hayao Miyazaki movies would probably be the exception for me. Though they are older anime movies with less than stellar animation due to their age - they usually have very very touching plots, worlds and characters. I especially enjoyed Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984) and Laputa: Castle in the Sky (1986).

So to answer the question, well it really depends. Some animation holds up well, but I think at the end of the day it really comes down to the characters, plot and world that is potrayed. As much as I really love high quality animation, especially for combat scenes it certainly isn't a dealbreaker.

Due to having been spoiled with beautiful animation from more modern titles, to this day I personally would find it difficult to watch really old anime TV series... such as the first Mobile Suit Gundam series that came out in 1986. Haven't seen it and probably wouldn't go out of my way to watch it unless it was recommended to me - SEED, Unicorn and Iron Blooded Orphans are the current Gundam series I have enjoyed.

The earliest anime TV series I ever saw was Neon Genesis Evangelion which came out in 2006 which I still love up to this day. Although the animation wasn't overly great (it did have budget issues) it was definitely a game-changer at the time.

Hayao Miyazaki movies would probably be the exception for me. Though they are older anime movies with less than stellar animation due to their age - they usually have very very touching plots, worlds and characters. I especially enjoyed Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984) and Laputa: Castle in the Sky (1986).

So to answer the question, well it really depends. Some animation holds up well, but I think at the end of the day it really comes down to the characters, plot and world that is potrayed. As much as I really love high quality animation, especially for combat scenes it certainly isn't a dealbreaker.

you are right old anime does not always look that great they did not have any computers and everything had to be hand drawn animation back in the day looked like ass because of this but i think its just a matter of just dealing with the fact that animation cant always be perfect there are many great stories that people miss because the animation looks old

evangelion was pretty impressive the fact that they even had animation at all at in the show was impressive gaianax was almost bankrupt at the time they made the show its a miracle that they had good looking scenes like these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei4x9gfI0xw

Edited by Guest

I remember the training to that episode; Icchan trains Misaki to get a better feel for how her angel moves *Right, right, left, right, spin and clap*..., wait, that's Angelic Layer, however I remember the training to this battle too, Dance Dance Mania!!

I even remember how the sounds during the training were different in the series, to Death and Rebirth, unless that was just with the UK version, I know with the UK version of the Ghost in the Shell OVAs (Laughing Man and Individual Eleven), we had a different (US) cast to series, due to rights issues!

I feel I have to defend hand drawn animation, I don't mind watching older anime, as long as the drawing style is to my liking (I feel like I'm committing a crime, but I'm not a fan of Tezuka Osamu's artstyle, so anything similar is also a "no"), sure some of the older stuff might have looping animation (western animation swears by it), because it would be too much strain on the animation staff, or that someone's leg might go over someone's head (when they're sitting down - see Hell Teacher Nube episode 1), but computer assisted animation can also have similar pitfalls, such as incorrectly painted objects, due to someone leaving a gap for paint to "bleed" through from one part of the object, to another!

GAINAX pretty much did go bankrupt, given what we got as episodes 25 and 26 of Evangelion, and the episode preview storyboards, rather than actual animation! I actually didn't mind episodes 25 and 26, although I did pretty much watch the movies straight after, I can only imagine what those who couldn't watch the movies (if they watched the series when it came out, or didn't buy the movies) must have felt!

Edited by Guest

Yes and no. The animation style is important but I'm willing to look past it if it has a decent story. Sometimes though, if I really can't stand the style, I have to quit. I was watching an older one called Armored Trooper Votums and I finally had to stop. It's not that the story was bad or anything, I just couldn't get over this one characters ridiculous thunder thighs. There were obviously other things in the animation I didn't like as well but that is the funniest one I didn't like. So yeah, I guess it matters

For me it really depends... I mean, if the art is terrible, I'll probably give it a go regardless and, depending on how the rest of it's content, I'll decide whether to continue or not. An example of this is Ping Pong the Animation. It's almost an undeniable fact that the art was terrible, but the script and story were (to me at least) well written which made the anime, though it's art was bad, enjoyable. However, I'm sure there are anime that are poorly animated and the rest of it's content isn't very good either. An example of this, for me, was Dirty Pair. I wouldn't say the animation as horrible, but, as it's older, it definitely wasn't appealing when compared to more recent titles. To me, the plot and comedy weren't the best either so I gave up on watching it (for the time being. Being the completionist that I am, it'll get finished at some point).

I also feel that this can work in the opposite manner as well. For example (I know this is a hotly debated topic on other sites) I personally didn't like Sword Art Online that much, though the art was stunning. I felt that, other than it's art it didn't have much going for it, which is why, just like Dirty Pair, I ended up putting it on hold for some time (though, unlike Dirty Pair, as of now, I have completed Sword Art Online).

An example of this, for me, was Dirty Pair. I wouldn't say the animation as horrible, but, as it's older, it definitely wasn't appealing when compared to more recent titles. To me, the plot and comedy weren't the best either so I gave up on watching it (for the time being. Being the completionist that I am, it'll get finished at some point).

Someone saying something bad about the Lovely Angels, must defend Yuri and Kei ;)!!

How were you watching Dirty Pair? Official DVDs, DVD rips, or old television rips? If it's the latter, the animation looks a lot better on the DVD rips, and official DVDs, I assume ;) - Dirty Pair wasn't released in the UK, although Dirty Pair Flash was!

I know what you mean about being a completionist, so with Dirty Pair, that's:

• Series (24 episodes);
  • OVA - With Love From The Lovely Angels (2 episodes, which should have been episodes 25 and 26);
  • OVA (10 episodes);
  • Movie - Project EDEN (1 movie);
  • OVA - Flight 005 Conspiracy (1 episode);
  • OVA - Affair of Nolandia (1 episode)!

There's also Dirty Pair Flash, which is 16 episodes, and was originally to be a prequel, but because Kei's seiyuu had retired from voice work, and Yuri's seiyuu refused to redeem her role alongside anyone else, it became a reboot! I thought I might not be able to get into Dirty Pair, after watching Flash, or that I might dislike reboot after watching the original, but I enjoy both series, and both portrayals of the Lovely Angels!

Someone saying something bad about the Lovely Angels, must defend Yuri and Kei ;)!!

How were you watching Dirty Pair? Official DVDs, DVD rips, or old television rips? If it's the latter, the animation looks a lot better on the DVD rips, and official DVDs, I assume ;) - Dirty Pair wasn't released in the UK, although Dirty Pair Flash was!

I know what you mean about being a completionist, so with Dirty Pair, that's:

• Series (24 episodes);
  • OVA - With Love From The Lovely Angels (2 episodes, which should have been episodes 25 and 26);
  • OVA (10 episodes);
  • Movie - Project EDEN (1 movie);
  • OVA - Flight 005 Conspiracy (1 episode);
  • OVA - Affair of Nolandia (1 episode)!

There's also Dirty Pair Flash, which is 16 episodes, and was originally to be a prequel, but because Kei's seiyuu had retired from voice work, and Yuri's seiyuu refused to redeem her role alongside anyone else, it became a reboot! I thought I might not be able to get into Dirty Pair, after watching Flash, or that I might dislike reboot after watching the original, but I enjoy both series, and both portrayals of the Lovely Angels!

the dirty pair movie is a must watch just for this opening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM3O_EX1hCI

hell everything that has kōji morimotos name in it is a must watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJVbibEoF9M

Edited by Guest

I will give you that EDEN's opening is pretty good, it's kinda like a Bond opening, or something from Duran Duran, which interestingly enough, can be one in the same ;) - A View To A Kill! However the movie didn't appeal to me, content wise!

Interestingly enough those guys in the second video referenced another 80s band (aha, with Take On Me), although was for the animation before EDEN!

Edited by Guest

I will give you that EDEN's opening is pretty good, it's kinda like a Bond opening, or something from Duran Duran, which interestingly enough, can be one in the same ;) - A View To A Kill! However the movie didn't appeal to me, content wise!

Interestingly enough those guys in the second video referenced another 80s band (aha, with Take On Me), although was for the animation before EDEN!

speakin of sweet looking opening garo honoo no kokuin had a pretty trippy lookin opening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFpNPoe2hm4

The animation's good, though the character designs are a bit too -not sure what the word I'm looking for- for my liking!

I'm not a great fan of the character designs in Red Garden, although I plan to watch it at some point!

I was reminded of 009-1 when watching that, not sure why, as I like the character designs in that, even though they're a bit different, actually they're a bit 60s/70s, which is because the manga was published back then, they've just adapted it to fit when the anime was made!

I was reminded of another series, which the character designs put me off the series, but I can't seem to locate the name though!

• Geano locked this topic