How are you feeling right now?

Kiriness

1 hour ago, Animedragon said:

Cautious, very cautious.

I've just heard that one of my friends has got covid, a timely reminder that even 2 years on we still have to be careful.

I hear you.  My 82yo mom tested positive a couple weeks ago.  Yikes!  Fortunately by then she'd been vaccinated (& boosted) so she never even had any symptoms.  The only way we even found out was because we were moving her from a SNF to an assisted-living arrangement and part of the admissions routine at the new place was having a test done & she tested positive for exposure.  5 days of observation & solitary confinement later she tested negative again & no harm done but I kind of feel we dodged a bullet there.

I have always felt that these end stages would still be pretty risky in terms of catching the virus.  I even said early on that the most danger of being infected would be after the initial paranoia wears off and people get used to the routine.  Humans have a bad habit of getting complacent and cutting corners, thinking they can get away with stuff.  That only works until it doesn't.  The virus doesn't care about your politics or feels.  It won't cut you some slack if you're having a bad day.  Give it a chance and it will do what it does.

I'm not a doomster though so having said that I'll also say that I've always felt the virus itself isn't that that bad for most people.  I mean, nobody wants to catch the flu.  For certain classes of people it can certainly be seriously life-threatening, just like the regular flu is.  However the empirical statistics say that 97%+ of humans who catch it will survive, especially if they have access to modern health care.  John Hopkins reports that the case fatality here in the US is 1.2%.  The worst so far has been Yemen at 18% for some reason but most countries are reporting in the 1-3% range.  It is actually probably less than that because there are likely a lot of cases that go untested and thus unreported.  Possibly even unnoticed.  My mom for instance probably would never have been tested if it weren't for her special circumstances.  OTOH, if you only test the corpses then the documented fatality rate is 100%, right?

The actual fatality rate will no doubt be the subject of numerous articles in medical journals for years to come, but it is pretty clear that this virus isn't all that dangerous compared to some.  The biggest danger of course was and is that there was no "herd immunity" so there was a real possibility that everyone might catch it at once and overwhelm the system.  That's still not out of the question but as more people develop resistance - either by vaccinations or by catching & recovering from the disease itself - the risk of huge spikes in cases that cripple the system is much less now than at the beginning and still falling.  In most places even if you're one of the unlucky ones who need hospitalization at least that option is available.  We were pretty stupid early on so we'll probably never be rid of covid-19 at this point but it'll eventually be no worse than "the common cold" that we've been dealing with since forever and people rarely give a second thought to.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, efaardvark said:

I hear you.  My 82yo mom tested positive a couple weeks ago.  Yikes!  Fortunately by then she'd been vaccinated (& boosted) so she never even had any symptoms.  The only way we even found out was because we were moving her from a SNF to an assisted-living arrangement and part of the admissions routine at the new place was having a test done & she tested positive for exposure.  5 days of observation & solitary confinement later she tested negative again & no harm done but I kind of feel we dodged a bullet there.

I have always felt that these end stages would still be pretty risky in terms of catching the virus.  I even said early on that the most danger of being infected would be after the initial paranoia wears off and people get used to the routine.  Humans have a bad habit of getting complacent and cutting corners, thinking they can get away with stuff.  That only works until it doesn't.  The virus doesn't care about your politics or feels.  It won't cut you some slack if you're having a bad day.  Give it a chance and it will do what it does.

I'm not a doomster though so having said that I'll also say that I've always felt the virus itself isn't that that bad for most people.  I mean, nobody wants to catch the flu.  For certain classes of people it can certainly be seriously life-threatening, just like the regular flu is.  However the empirical statistics say that 97%+ of humans who catch it will survive, especially if they have access to modern health care.  John Hopkins reports that the case fatality here in the US is 1.2%.  The worst so far has been Yemen at 18% for some reason but most countries are reporting in the 1-3% range.  It is actually probably less than that because there are likely a lot of cases that go untested and thus unreported.  Possibly even unnoticed.  My mom for instance probably would never have been tested if it weren't for her special circumstances.  OTOH, if you only test the corpses then the documented fatality rate is 100%, right?

The actual fatality rate will no doubt be the subject of numerous articles in medical journals for years to come, but it is pretty clear that this virus isn't all that dangerous compared to some.  The biggest danger of course was and is that there was no "herd immunity" so there was a real possibility that everyone might catch it at once and overwhelm the system.  That's still not out of the question but as more people develop resistance - either by vaccinations or by catching & recovering from the disease itself - the risk of huge spikes in cases that cripple the system is much less now than at the beginning and still falling.  In most places even if you're one of the unlucky ones who need hospitalization at least that option is available.  We were pretty stupid early on so we'll probably never be rid of covid-19 at this point but it'll eventually be no worse than "the common cold" that we've been dealing with since forever and people rarely give a second thought to.

I think what you say is about right, we're never going to be rid of covid but it'll eventually just become another illness that we can catch like flu and we'll probably get yearly vaccinations for it like we do for the flu.

I think the infection rates are showing a slight rise in some areas here in the UK, but the figures aren't reported on the TV news much now because the terrible situation in Ukraine has just about wiped every other news story off the bulletins.

6 hours ago, Animedragon said:

the terrible situation in Ukraine has just about wiped every other news story off the bulletins

A madman - don't know what else you can call someone who has an "escalate to win" strategy in his use of nuclear weapons - with his finger on the button threatening to launch his arsenal unless he gets his way does tend to distract one's attention from other matters.  😱 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today I am mildly annoyed!

Having spent a lot of time over the past couple of weeks repairing the storm damage to the rose arch in my back garden. This morning I look out and see that the high winds are back and trying their best to wreck my rose arch again!!! 😡

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Today I am mildly annoyed!

Having spent a lot of time over the past couple of weeks repairing the storm damage to the rose arch in my back garden. This morning I look out and see that the high winds are back and trying their best to wreck my rose arch again!!! 😡

I hate wind.  I live in earthquake country but around here high winds have by far done more damage over the years than earthquakes.  It also makes driving dangerous, redistributes things like patio furniture and trash cans around the neighborhood, and dumps debris in the pool.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today is St.George's Day, so I'm looking forward to going along to the celebrations in our local High Street which will be closed to traffic and filled with stalls, sideshows, fairground rides for children, live music and of course the St.George's Day parade of local marching bands, floats and walkers from local clubs and vintage vehicles. The weather is bright and sunny so it should be a good afternoon out.

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Pretty rough trying to get the last couple of hundred words into this essay and proceeding to procrastinate, I just want summer so bad. 

Feeling pretty good and relaxed, got my booster vaccine today so my arms a little sore but it means a nice trip abroad so happy out :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soramee_ said:

While going to school I nearly slept, while in class in nearly slept and when I got out of school I nearly slept… guess I’m a little bit tired.

Sleeping in school is a right of passage lol, some of the best naps I ever took were at a desk

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1