Favourite Death Note Character

Metro

Just wondering what you all think the best character was, Personally I really liked L his personality was just great.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 08/01/2018 at 2:01 PM, SleepyLeoulf said:

I always liked L when I watched Death Note in high school and also even wanted to cosplay as him. >,.,.> 

Omg same when I watched it I really wanted to cosplay as L and just be like him 

• Like 2

I adore L because he manages to be mature and childish all at the same time. He's extremely adorable and utterly awesome, while also being the top 3 detectives in the whole world, so ... Yeah. I also just loved his character because he was so unique and interesting, everything about him was just so fun to watch. He was also unnaturally smart and I just loved watching him figure everything out, since I can't help but love a good detective story.

However, I really like Light as well ... I felt as if I could relate to Light in some ways and I often times saw his side of the story quite well, since I could agree, some what, with his opinions and his out look on life. He developed so much as a character from the beginning of the show until the end I found myself just loving him so much as time went on. Perhaps it was the fact that he was so quick witted and manipulative, since I do love a good manipulative sociopath, but watching him take on L in their battle of wits made me love him. I know he was ultimately the villain of the series and I can't defend his actions nearer the end, but I can however say he was one of the best written villains I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. He was so complex and intricate that everything about him just had me on the edge of my seat ...

Aside from the two obvious choices I also adored Near so much. He was the cutest little kid and I just loved watching him go from, sitting on the floor playing with toys, to, taking down Light with quite a bit of ease. He was extremely interesting as well and although I kind of wish I knew even more about him, I feel like his character was developed very nicely.

• 2 months later...

I like L but only a little bit better than Light, Light is also very loveable and awesome. Also despite L being my favourite I have to say, Light was a far better character in general.

I say Light. The guy is crazy and smart all at the same time. The sad part is he believes what he's doing is right, in a way it is, but somewhere down the line he starts to see things differently. Turning him into a monster, but still my favorite character.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after they made the live action on Netflix they make Light to be a lot more victimised in the whole show with L being a lot more hot headed so depending on the one you watch it might vary but overall L is still my favourite.

• 3 years later...

Strangely, my favorites were the shinigamis Rem & Ryuk (based solely on the anime, haven’t read the manga or watched the live action versions)

I only liked the pair of Light Yagami and Ryuk, rest other were looked like pawns

\(-_-)/

i was having fun even when light yagami was totally lost 😎

• 6 months later...
On 11/28/2021 at 6:43 AM, Kreideprinz said:

However, I think the show missed a good chance to give Light and Kira some contrast and touch on the duality of the two.

This....is an interesting take that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise, thank you.

You're right, Light Yagami is blinded. Confused. The world isn't as he sees it, himself isn't as he sees it. He's overidentified too much with what he's trying to enforce, to the point where he's stopped looking at himself to see where he stands. Any impeding hint of guilt is immediately disregarded, as he believes it'll only distract him, despite that voice in the back of his head trying to save him, something he only realizes as he bleeds to death in that staircase. 

On 11/28/2021 at 6:43 AM, Kreideprinz said:

Light's entire character fell upon a singular devotion, almost with no hobbies or forming meaningful relationships. Would have loved more insight from this character that didn't revolve around the context of the notebook. It makes the idea of Light having an actual life seem like a fever dream, added when school mates briefly address that he doesn't hang out with them anymore. Before never being talked about ever again. 

Beautiful point. Obsessive compulsive tendencies do be the end to many a great minds. 

Overall, Light wanted to do some good, and it's obvious from seeing the anime that he's always been obsessed with the idea of fairness, and he saw the Death Note as his only way to enforce authority, a system of rules that he thinks will help everyone, and sacrifices every ounce of human in him to be a God. And that was his problem. When you lose touch with what's human to become something more, you inadvertently risk becoming something much less, and the confusion between these two is what ends up causing their demise.

Light, as a person, is everything that I don't want to become; a person so obsessed over one thing that he tunnel visions deeper and deeper without ever getting any better. He is worth feeling sorry for. One of the only reasons I put Mello and Light up in my most favorite characters from Death Note is for practically the same reason; they're both obsessive compulsive, which means they'd stop at literally nothing to have their ends of the bargain met. These are people you do NOT want to screw with, because it only takes them something like the Death Note (for Light) and the existence of someone better (for Mello) for them to go batshit crazy on whoever tries to stop them. 

• 4 weeks later...

Matsuda, Ryuk, L and Mello.

@Kreideprinz are you a fan of Light or are you a fan of Light? XD guess my gripe would be that this guy had everything and 360'ed beneath himself. As you said, he worked hard in school and planned to work hard for a career. It was a religious practice to him why give up the work he put in over a magic book? My dude was up and down with his emotions to where I didn't know what was acting and what wasn't. Looks exhausting. lol