Pokemon Series

Fab

I've played Blue, Yellow, Gold, Crystal and Fire/Red. Played a few of the new ones but haven't passed them yet.

I'm still attached to the first 250'ish Pokémon, the rest... not so much. ;) Must break that nostalgia! If anything, the improvements in X/Y should bring me back to give the games another go. :D

And that Mewtwo form is bizarre.

• 1 month later...

The designs lose their charms after the Johto region. I don't think I can even remember 1/10 of the new Pokemon names in R/S/E. I'm only looking forward to how they gonna make use of the 3DS streetpass function and how much customizations they allow on your custom character.

By the way, the new fairy type, it's effective against dragon. What in the world.

I'm still playing it up till today but like many of us will agree, the flame died with the Johto region. Which is why, the remake of gold and silver on the DS was something which I look upon to back then. And it has not disappoint. One of the best remake, considering that FireRed and LeafGreen were just visual improvements.

Hopefully they can really utilise the 3DS capabilities to come out with something new for the pokemon series. But the new starter 3 still doesn't appeal to me

I'm still playing it up till today but like many of us will agree, the flame died with the Johto region. Which is why, the remake of gold and silver on the DS was something which I look upon to back then. And it has not disappoint. One of the best remake, considering that FireRed and LeafGreen were just visual improvements.

Hopefully they can really utilise the 3DS capabilities to come out with something new for the pokemon series. But the new starter 3 still doesn't appeal to me

SS and HG were good, no doubt.

I'm also liking the X / Y starters more than B / W. I skip using a fire starter for once because I hate the roasted pig and the evolutions are awful.

• 4 months later...

Well given that most of us now have X/Y...

I would like to ask, which Pokémon starter did you pick and why?

I went straight for Froakie, simply because Water type is my favourite. I didn't research ahead, felt like this time I wanted to be surprised when they evolve.

pokemon-x-and-y-starter-pokemon.jpg.dfcb2875effc8c4d8490d6a7b4259103.jpg

How about you? :D

Well given that most of us now have X/Y...

I would like to ask, which Pokémon starter did you pick and why?

I went straight for Froakie, simply because Water type is my favourite. I didn't research ahead, felt like this time I wanted to be surprised when they evolve.

How about you? :D

Went with fire again. I know many were complaining about Braixen or Delphox wearing a skirt but I got over it after awhile. Besides, Fire and Psychic are a nice mix.

• 11 months later...

I honestly think Hoenn was the best region from the region look overall is so unique. Then again, I played Emerald as my first Pokemon game and I really LOVED the region and the game overall.

I'm hyped for the remakes of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire but that chance is ruined because my 3DS broke. : (

Yeah, the demo version was something that people decide to play full game or not (whenever the game is released).

New Mega Evolution? Check.

Hoenn Remakes? Check.

THE MUSIC? Check.

You definitely see me that I'm hyped of this game.

My only complaints is lack of main players customization of OR/AS in which I thought this feature from X/Y used again in OR/AS but I guess I'm wrong. The designs of Mega Evolutions is nitpicky and I have some complaints from the looks of it, but we will see them in battle (Mega Gallade, Mega Beedrill, Mega Sceptile are the new mega evolutions that I LOVED so far).

I've preordered ORAS. Seems like a good trip down memory lane, hopefully it can be better than Soul Silver/Heart Gold. Thats my favourite remake.

I kinda lament the introduction of MEGAs though. Make things seem kinda over-powered. It feels like in future, it will be like diamond/pearl, where there wasn't much introduction of new pokemon, but new evolved form of old pokemon. Seems like people will also be crying out to see "XXX" pokemon have a Mega and so on.

I've preordered ORAS. Seems like a good trip down memory lane, hopefully it can be better than Soul Silver/Heart Gold. Thats my favourite remake.

I kinda lament the introduction of MEGAs though. Make things seem kinda over-powered. It feels like in future, it will be like diamond/pearl, where there wasn't much introduction of new pokemon, butnew evolved form of old pokemon. Seems like people will also be crying out to see "XXX" pokemon have a Mega and so on.

Yeah I agree; MEGAS are kind of a downer. I love the other new additions we've seen to ORAS though; looks great. However; I'm wondering where Nintendo will take the franchises games after this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The only Pokemon games I've played are:

Pokemon Red

Pokemon Blue

Pokemon Yellow

Pokemon Trading Card Game

Pokemon Gold

Pokemon Ruby (couldn't get into it)

Pokemon Stadium

Pokemon Stadium 2

Pokemon Heart Gold

Pokemon Black

Pokemon Black 2 (but...couldn't get into it)

Pokemon X (Ironically, I never finished it...just, lost interest, despite having one gym leader to go)

I'm not sure if it's just bias, but...personally....I just prefer the Gen I games. They were simpler, more straight forward, and to the point. Seriously, I HATE the mega evolution thing in X. I just feel it's so unnecessary and it feels much to gimmicky. I just find the first 151 Pokemon more memorable I guess...same with some of the Gen II Pokemon. To be honest, outside of Gen I and to an extent, Gen II, I have a hard time remembering the names of most of the Pokemon, English and Japanese. lol

I have from the main series (let's not get into spin offs)

Yellow, Crystal, Sapphire, Fire red, Pearl, Platinum, Heartgold, White, Black 2, Y, and Alpha Sapphire

I finished them all before and can't say there are any in the series I DIDN'T like, closest is probably Pearl which gave me a bad taste of 4th gen once I played through it, but Platinum fixed almost all the problems Pearl did is is close to my ideal Pokemon game along with Crystal, Heart gold and Alpha Sapphire.

Personally, however, even though I really do like the series. They REALLY need to put it on hold for a couple years before working on the next title. Ever since Platinum in 2009 the west had been getting a new game every year... which means they've been milking out this series even more than Mario lately. 6th gen was a step the series needed to take, but at this rate the games will start to get extremely dry yet still sell more than well enough to keep it going just as fast.

Personally I just can't enjoy any of the games after 3rd Gen even half as much as the first three Generations the pokemon after 3rd Gen have been letting me down , although the games are getting more advanced that doesn't mean that they are getting any better Personally I would love to see a remake of the Gen 1 and 2 games with a little update to include all the new things in the newer Generations (maybe something like Pokemon Leaf Green :A new Adventure I know its highly unlikely but wouldn't it be awesome if it did happen)

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

What to start with, first, hello, I'm usually lurking on the Digimon side of this forum, you can probably guess by the avatar, however saw the Sun/Moon thread, then saw this one in "similar threads" table!

So that's the easy bit out the way, now the harder bit!

[spoiler=Generation II vs. Generation III]I agree with other people that Gold, Silver and Crystal were good additions to the series, and that it's good they got remade, given that "the internal battery has run dry" doesn't happen on the remakes :D!

Unfortunately, listening to the soundtrack, I believe they've played around with the music too much, for my liking! Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire on the other hand, I feel have remained very faithful, same can be said for LeafGreen/FireRed!

I also feel that Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald were good additions to the series, I hadn't played LeafGreen/FireRed, until recently (lack of funds, also meant I missed out on the whole of Generation IV too), they too are a good addition, though, that's a given, due to the fact they are based on Red and Blue, but with added elements!

[spoiler=Who's that Pokémon?]In my heyday, I feel I would be able to name most of the Pokémon up to Generation III, at least, as I'm not on top of things these days, perhaps not, I could even name some of the Pokémon in Japanese, including Generation V Pokémon! However like with other people, I do agree that in some of the later games, Pokémon designs were terrible, though I felt this was after Generation III!

I usually pick Water or Grass (in my main game: Squirtle (Blue), Totodile (Gold), Treecko (Sapphire), Oshawott (Black), and you know what, I can't remember who I picked now in LeafGreen (might have been Bulbasaur), and Alpha Sapphire (quite possibly Treecko))!

That said, my first copy of Generation II was a Chinese Bootleg, so technically my first Generation II choice was Chikorita! I have occasionally made my choices based on the anime, or manga:

• Sapphire - I went for Treecko, so May would pick Torchic;
  • Black - I picked Oshawott, so Bianca would pick Tepig!

For a change I went with Fire in X, because most of everyone I know, was going for Froakie, and decided I'd be different, which normally would mean I'd be going Grass, but I didn't like Chespin's evolved forms, so Fennelkin it was!

[spoiler=I Choose You!]I've actually compared my starter type choices to the choices that appear in the various Pokémon "sources" (anime, manga, etc.), and noticed some similarities, some of which were purposely done, though the earlier stuff was coincidental, but thought I'd provide a list!

Here's a list of choices where the game completely reference a "source":

• Generation I (Red) - Bulbasaur ("Red"/protagonist) and Charmander ("Blue"/rival) match the choices in Adventures for Red and Blue, and if Generation I unused female protagonist featured, you could extend this to match Green with Squirtle;
  • Generation II:
    • Gold - Totodile ("Gold"/protagonist) and Chikorita ("Silver"/rival), match the choices in Golden Boys (manga) for Gold and Black, and if Generation II female protagonist (Kris) featured earlier, you could extend this to match Chris with Cyndaquil;
    • Silver - Cyndaquil ("Gold"/protagonist) and Totodile ("Silver"/rival), match the choices in Adventures for Gold and Silver, and if Generation II female protagonist (Kris) featured earlier, you could extend this to match Crys with Chikorita;

[*]Generation III:

• Ruby - Torchic ("May"/protagonist) and Mudkip ("Brendan"/pseudo-rival) match Adventures for Sapphire and Ruby, and anime series including movies, as May has a Torchic, and in one of the movie openings, where Brendan cameos, he has a Mudkip, plus Adventures link can be extended, as Wally has Treecko in Adventures, and in this scenario, Treecko is unpicked;
    • Sapphire - Treecko ("Brendan"/protagonist) and Torchic ("May"/pseudo-rival) match the choices in Pocket Monsters Ruby-Sapphire (gag manga), and the Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire Animated Trailer, although May does also have Mudkip;
    • Emerald - Mudkip ("May"/protagonist) and Treecko ("Brendan"/pseudo-rival) match Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire Animated Trailer, although May does also have Torchic;

• LeafGreen - Bulbasaur ("Red"/protagonist) and Charmander ("Blue"/rival) match the choices in Adventures for Red and Blue, if both protagonist choices featured together in the game, you could extend this to Squirtle ("Leaf"/female protagonist), matching Green in Adventures;

[*]Diamond (to be played) - Turtwig ("Lucas"/protagonist), Chimchar ("Barry"/rival) and Piplup ("Dawn"/Professor's Aide) match the choices in Adventures for Dia, Pearl and Platina;

[*]Generation V:

• Black - Oshawott ("Hilbert"/protagonist), Snivy ("Cheren"/male rival) and Tepig ("Bianca"/female rival) match the choices of Touya, Cheren and Bianca in Pocket Monsters BW: Meeting with the Legends (manga);
    • White2/Black2 (to be played) - Tepig ("Nate"/protagonist), Oshawott ("Hugh"/rival) and Snivy ("Rosa"/Subway battle partner) match the choices in the Animated Trailer;

[*]Generation VI:

• Y - Froakie ("Serena"/protagonist) and Chespin ("Calem"/main rival) match the choices in Adventures of Y and X, Shauna doesn't receive a Kalos starter in Adventures;

• Alpha Sapphire - Treecko ("Brendan"/protagonist) and Torchic ("May"/pseudo-rival) match the choices in the Animated Trailer, although May does have Mudkip in that trailer too;
    • Omega Ruby - Mudkip ("May"/protagonist) and Treecko ("Brendan"/pseudo-rival) match the choices in the Animated Trailer, although May does have Torchic in that trailer too;

In other games, there are links, but not as complete, or exact match as those above:

• Generation I (Blue) - Bulbasaur ("Gary"/rival) matches How I became a Pokémon Card (manga) and Electric Tale of Pikachu (manga);

• Generation II (Crystal) - Chikorita ("Kris"/female protagonist) matches Crys in Adventure;
  • Generation III (FireRed) - Squirtle ("Leaf"/female protagonist) matches Green in Adventure;

• Generation IV:
    • Pearl (to be played) - Chimchar ("Dawn"/protagonist), Piplup ("Barry"/rival) and Turtwig ("Lucas"/Professor's Aide) match DP Adventure (Dawn/Mitsumi), anime (Barry/Barry) and Adventure (Lucas/Dia);
    • Platinum (to be played) - Piplup ("Dawn"/protagonist), Turtwig ("Barry"/rival) and Chimchar ("Lucas"/Professor's Aide) match anime (Dawn/Dawn) and DP Adventure (Barry/Jun);

[*]Generation V:

• White - Snivy ("Hilda"/protagonist) and Oshawott ("Bianca"/female rival) match Adventures, if both protagonist choices featured together in the game, you could extend this to Tepig ("Hilbert"/male protagonist), matching Black in Adventures, alternatively, if was playing as male protagonist, would match Be the Best! Pokémon B+W perfectly, as Snivy (protagonist), Oshawott ("Bianca"/female rival) and Tepig ("Cheren"/male rival);
    • Black2/White2 (to be played) - Snivy ("Rosa"/protagonist) matches Rosa in Animated Trailer;

[*]Generation VI (X) - Froakie ("Serena"/main rival) matches Y in Adventures!

As for Yellow, technically the protagonist's "choice" is a link to the anime, and fact the rival has an Eevee, was possibly inspiration for the anime, however Gary's evolves into Umbreon, rather than one of the three from the game!

Was just playing LeafGreen, so I stand corrected, I chose Squirtle, possibly matching my choice in Blue, might look for a link for choosing Leaf and Bulbasaur in FireRed, but don't think there is one!

[spoiler=Mega-Evolution vs. Evolution]Although mega-evolutions are interesting, I am disappointed, because it's a way for GameFreak to avoid making new evolutions, and it also means that they're shutting the door on some Pokémon that don't have many/any evolutions!

It's a shame as some of the mega-evolutions, I'd like to have seen as evolutions, I doubt GameFreak will make a "branch" event, in which some Pokémon evolve into something similar to their mega-evolutions (some minor alterations here and there), but I'd like them to!

I have a running joke that if any middle evolutionary stage Pokémon were to receive a mega-evolution, it would be that Electric Mascot, Pikachu ;)!

On the subject of evolutions, I'm sure, like with many people, we've thought of our own, can't remember all my ideas, however I have an idea for a combined previous evolutionary stage to Tauros, Miltank and Bouffalant, which will be based on a hybrid branch evolution:

• First Criteria - Is it male or female? If female, will evolve into Miltank, if male, evolution will be based on a second criteria;
  • Second Criteria - Is this evolution happening on a game with an Eastern (similar to Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh) or Western (similar to Unova and Kalos) setting? If Eastern, will evolve into Tauros, if Western, will evolve into Bouffalant!

I would also have the option to "cheat" the second criteria, by introducing held items of Kanto and Unova grasses, which when equipped, will allow you to obtain the desired evolved form regardless to the setting of the game! Alternatively you could have the Hitmon criteria, but I like to avoid the question of "if you can have a Bouffalant in Kanto, why wasn't there one in Generation I?"

Still if I had any pull with GameFreak, I'd also request that they change the twenty year old level up mechanic for Slowpoke to Slowbro, to the same mechanic for Mantyke to Mantine! It would be more in line with the actual evolution description, I believe!

[spoiler=Future: Generation VII and Remakes]Another thought I had, was that for Generation VII, they base the new region, on the UK, or just England (might be best to avoid the political minefield of simplifying the United Kingdom into a "country"), and have it link to Kalos via an over water rail-link!

You could argue "why not have the new region based on Germany, Spain or another country bordering France?", but at least with it being separated by water, you avoid the question of "why could you not go there before if it was bordering Kalos?", and Kalos' underground rail network is perfect for avoiding the question of "where were the ports to the other region?", I'm sure some people hoped to go back to Johto in LeafGreen/FireRed, am I right? I might not be :D!

Before the digital version of Red, Blue and Yellow were announced, I did wonder if they would remake the remakes (LeafGreen/FireRed), I would have liked that, although simply for the reason that those that were pretty much Generation I exclusive characters (certain Elite Four like Lorelei, etc.), or had their roles reduced in Generation II, would receive VS. screens, kinda put everyone on par with each other!

EDIT: Put everything into sections, think that's neat enough for now :D!

Edited by Guest