Power outages

Optic

What do you normally do during a power outage?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. What do you normally do during a power outage?

• Watch anime on my portable device!
    • Browse the Internet or game on my portable device!
    • Flip the table - all your devices are flat.
    • Go to sleep or have a nap.
    • Something I wouldn't normally do if the power was on.
    • I'm out of here! (go out somewhere)

nepgear-uni-hyperdimension-neptunia-fan-art.png.4d2a483d694edabcfbbe93439ca6f506.pngHad a power outage on Saturday due to severe weather that left 60,000 homes without power due to 100 km/h (62 mph) winds that knocked debris and tree branches into power lines...

It wasn't too bad as I had went out for most of the day on Saturday. Got back in the afternoon and power was still out. I occupied myself with my PS Vita which was mostly charged and also had a backup USB battery to top it up.

Thankfully power was restored overnight in time for Sunday so the weekend wasn't a complete write-off. >_<

Which made me wonder...

What do you normally do during a power outage?

Are you able to entertain yourself with a portable device? Or maybe you just wait it out, or perhaps go out somewhere?

I live in the North East and we get a few big snowstorms that kills my power from to time. When I lose power I usually lose internet as well so I either watch anime I have saved on a portable device or read. Being outside removing the snow from the yard helps kill the time too. :D

During a power outage, I normally tend to just write or draw ^W^

I only really need my computer to type stuff (and talk to you amazing guys/gals ;))

Power outage during the day: ugh boring

Power outage during the night: fk yeah yolo let's scare ppl

Power outage during art class: HOLLY MOTHER OF LLAMAS, THOSE STATUES LOOK LIKE THEY WANNA EAT YOUR HEART!!!

XP when I'm home and the power is out, I sometimes play on one of my handhelds.... but I usually forget to charge them... So I may end up listening to music on my phone and enjoy the darkess... My mum always lights up candles so our house looks more like the den of a vampire family... or some creepy cult meeting... dunno...

• Funny 1

we don't get them that often, but we had one like a month ago, as where i live its really small, we have a link cable going from france to us, that had issues so it failed, which was everyone on the whole island, which is like 65k people....

i just go on my phone and use 4G... and i have a portable charger which can charge my phone 4 times before it dies... so yeah that normally lasts the whole day.. but our power cuts are normally only like an hour or so ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Power outages mostly only happen in the summer in my area do to trees falling on power lines. I'm from tomah,wi and the last power outage happen I think in September. But I slept through it. It happened in the weeeeeeeeeeeeee morning hours. I did not know abut it until I noticed my coffee was cold when I woke up that morning. But normally during power outages I take my tablet or laptop and plug in my flash drive with all my anime on it. So outages in my area don't last to long so its not that bad.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

power outage !!!

yer well I don't seem to get many of them and I have a lap top a portable tv/dvd player as well as simular set ups in one of my vehicles and work vehicle , I also have ways to charge stuff from vehicles and i have a genset that will run a fair bit of gear (that I haven't used in many years for anything)

but if im home and the power goes off I usually go sleep/nap

Most of the time I never realized that a power outage occurred, simply because I was asleep all day long. Which is actually a benefit because I don't have to endanger my sanity thinking of a way to entertain myself without electricity.

I should probably add and may be make a thread about it as its kinda happening now

I have more problem loosing my internet (provider drops out) more so than my power loss problem

Edited by Guest

Candle!!?

Candles are well-known for fire accidents.

Try not to burn your precious mangas and also your room/house/building.

As long as you take some degree of precautions (and don't act like an idiot), candles are perfectly save and a perfectly viable light source if the power is dead. Besides, they provide lovely ambiance.

As for myself, I've got my phone and some handheld consoles, as well as a very beefy USB battery that doubles as a pretty dang bright flashlight. If it's just my building or block that is impacted, there's a really nice AMC theater a couple blocks away that I can go to for the sake of killing time, otherwise if it's a more large scale outage (which I've only experienced once so far at my current location) I can just hop on a bus or train long enough to get out of the outage zone and go to a mall or something.

• 2 months later...

I do basically all of the above.....I have stocked up on anime on my kindle......have a trickle charging flash light that can charge my divices......some headphones and food and I'm all set ^~^ I only need internet for friends

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We have solar (+batteries) here so.. same as always.  All our power, DSL, and cable TV around here is on poles though, so we often lose everything when we lose power.  This includes access to TV/cable and streaming services.  Once we even lost utility power, DSL, *and* then the next day we lost cell service as well!  The neighborhood was eerily quiet for about two days.. and DARK at night!  :o  In desperation I had to switch to my DVD collection on my NAS.  :D  IIRC that last day we mostly did Wii sports though.  xD